996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed Aasco flywheel: my impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Huge gain? LOLOLOL

i'm a street 911 driver just like the majority + out there on this board. what's good for the track isn't always good for the street as you fully admit.

for this dude's 911 which i bet is a predominantly street driven 911... a flywheel mod is .... loud and unecessary for the street. on the track... heck, gut the whole damn interior, get rid of AC... when does it stop? it doesn't. it goes way beyond a lightweight flywheel.

i'm not foreign to the lightweight flywheel. i had one on my s2000. a comptech flywheel with an act clutch. i noticed the freer revs, but more power? none. what added power was the comptech supercharger. period. everything else is .. hairsplitting.
If the lwfw was so insignificant from your past experience then why did you ask about it for your 996? I remember this as I was researching and ran across some of your old post as in here:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=356887

I should quote the original poster of that tread this

get the lightweight flywheel if you prefer the changed up engine characteristics. i'd never do it for this because the flat6 is not the most free-revving engine in this world. look to ///M for that or get a 997GT3.

Last edited by nine9six; 06-17-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Springgeyser is infamous around these parts
I'm going the LWFW route down the road for the 996. I'll have to reconfirm again if Fidanza makes a 8 bolt flywheel still.

The LWFW was one of the best $ upgrade(aside from suspension) for my lowly 200hp Prelude in terms of having reducing rotation weight and making the engine finally come 'alive' between gears. The Findanza I had in my Prelude had NO chatter when mated with a much stiffer pressure plate.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brucem
Ben you laugh about things you do not fully understand. I guess if this part made such a "small" or insignificant difference Porsche wouldn't waste their time doing them on any of their cars?

your comparison to taking out the whole interior is so far different (from just installing the flywheel) from a mod that still keeps your car a daily driver and very capable to drive anytime you want (on the street), but gives you a very significant gain of performance driving. A stripped interior on the other hand.....well we could all imagine

If you track your car and do Auto-x at least once per month get the mod, you will love it.
You got this chip on your shoulder where you think someone gives a flying F because you track your STREET 911 in all its multitude of bodykit goodness... as a hobby. WAHAHAHAHAH I laugh at things that are funny and you say a lot of funny stuff. Love it.

I would not enjoy the mod because the stock flywheel works JUST fine for the street and for those who choose to track their made for the street 911s. Chatter chatter chatter

Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by neilwight
come on ben, you know you are just full of envy lugging all that 4wd system around with your big ole hips for no good reason whatsoever.

good for birthing, less good for running
I'm like your boy sir mixalot... u know what line he's famous for. LOL

Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by nine9six
If the lwfw was so insignificant from your past experience then why did you ask about it for your 996? I remember this as I was researching and ran across some of your old post as in here:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=356887

I should quote the original poster of that tread this
like i told you, i did my research and considered it since i had it on my s2000. just cuz i ask about it doesn't mean i'm a proponent of it.

i figured maybe it'll be a better result on the 911 than the s2000 since i naturally got adjusted to the freer revving nature of the engine, but my research on rennlist and here told me... don't do it. you get very little gain and you get a lot more noise/chatter which i didn't get in the s2000. if you're using your M96 engine to win races and give your ego a boost, go for it. get every little gain you can... but for the 99% of the folks on here that aren't piping in .... they and I are completely happy with the stock flywheel that porsche shoved into the tranny.

man, since when did the stock flywheel become such a performance killer? HILARIOUS

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 06-18-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Chatter chatter chatter but with how my car feels now, I'd say its worth it. The car is a blast to drive and its definetly noticable. Like I said before, lwfw is the BEST mod for a N/A 996 given the fact that I have not have hand on experience with the plenum.

I am not going to say how good or bad the plenum is compared to this because I have no personal experience with it. Unlike others who read, read and talk like they know.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
You got this chip on your shoulder where you think someone gives a flying F because you track your STREET 911 in all its multitude of bodykit goodness... as a hobby. WAHAHAHAHAH I laugh at things that are funny and you say a lot of funny stuff. Love it.

I would not enjoy the mod because the stock flywheel works JUST fine for the street and for those who choose to track their made for the street 911s. Chatter chatter chatter
Why is it that you are the one who brings up my car conversion or things beyond that? Did I ask what other people think of me? I have never had anyone post on the fourm how I am an *** or come across as a jerk as many people say about you. Do you have some personal vendetta against everyone on the internet that doesn't think the same as you? You only seem to want people to do things YOU like and if you don't like you tell them they are dumb or stupid.

I don't have a chip Ben, i have real world knowledge and if anyone on this forum besides you says I have a chip on my shoulder it will be the first time it has come up.

Will the stock flywheel work fine, sure it will. Will the LW flywheel perform better when you use a porsche beyond street driving? Of course it will and that is what I stated.

I share my knowledge about what has worked well and shown results. I share my knowledge what I learn from people like Greg Fordahl, Colin Cantrell, Mike Zaffee, Mark Andrews, Leh Keen (last two are drivers) i have friends that race professionally and/or are mechanics for race car teams. I ask questions and see what works. I talk to people at the track and see what they have ran and what worked. I run with poeple that finish 1st place in the nation on the same car as us and find out what worked for them and what didn't.

Just because you will not enjoy the mod doesn't mean it isn't a benefit or enhance the performance of the car.

That is where my input comes from, learning over the years and building hots and cars from the time I was 12 years old.

Where does your car knowledge come from?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned
bottom line is, you're not colin, you're not greg, you're not dr. ferry porsche's love child... you're bruce who makes a living not off your 911....so you're just like the rest of us... hobbyists of this type of car, of cars in general.

i'm typing stuff out because i know others lurk here. i couldn't care less whether people think i'm an **** or a king. let them judge.

for others who lurk and are reading this, i want them to clearly understand that there is no free lunch. once you track your 911 and mod it for that type of environment which doesn't apply to more than the majority in the forum and in the world... you give up comforts. you add a lightweight flywheel, for the nominal gains you'll get in laptimes in your racer wannabe interests, you're going to get annoying chatter and for those of us who do enjoy our cars on public roads (the clear majority), it's going to get old quick.

what would suck is someone getting the lightweight flywheel, realizing absolutely nominal gains, and then regretting their purchase.

i'm bringing the other valid perspective on things and the d!ck measuring vitae contest is laughable at best since very very few of us have any real direct experience since no one here is on porsche's motorsport payroll or any other automotive 911 payroll.

i'm just keepin it real, real honest, no hype, some opinion, some fact, let the lurkers/active posters make the call.

and i do listen to those who do enjoy track times and the cool ones, the ones who didn't grow up as hs nerds with a chip on their shoulders understand all the little gains and **** is all overshadowed by driving skills and practice. then it's tires, brake pads, fluid. the last thing they concern themselves about is a damn lightweight flywheel.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
i've tracked a bit. i don't own a 996, will my opinion count?

i wouldn't track without one (lwfw). track times are lower without a question with one. tracking is all about inertia. end of story. less drag and you go fast. the lwfw in my 997 GT3 Cup allowed my engine to rev freely with a light tap of the throttle to 8400rpms and beyond. it's not a gimic. in a straightline you will not realize huge gains i will admit. your gains are simple. anytime you are quicker to a rev you are quicker.

doesn't matter the corner any corner (even getting milk) your only concern on a track is smooth with less brakes in and faster to throttle out..... there is nothing else to do. wait that maybe takes a little practice.

so you've entered the corner perfectly (which i do 5% of the time) minimal brakes at speeds that will make you uncomfortable, release and apex then straighten out the car and hit the throttle until you get to the next corner.

Question do you want a car that gets to power faster with a lighter fly wheel or do you want the heavier fly wheel getting you to power.

EVERYONE'S ANSWER HERE IS GETTING TO POWER FASTER. Now do it 10-25 times depending on the track per lap and Look you've found yourself 2 plus seconds around the track.

Rev matching is easier to. it is truly a blip in a car with one.

You then can practice to really become fast.

Driving's a hobby and lot's of people love it. Why not make the car behave the way real racecar's do. They are more fun. I KNOW. So drop the lwfw in and have some fun.

And Ben whomever the hell you are if your old enough to buy beer. You will get back and fourth from the store quicker if you have one. But you should practice because practice, practice, practice then brakes and tires will achieve the ultimate goal. Really cold beer for your bbq because for sure you have no desire to track your car.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
i've tracked a bit. i don't own a 996, will my opinion count?

i wouldn't track without one (lwfw). track times are lower without a question with one. tracking is all about inertia. end of story. less drag and you go fast. the lwfw in my 997 GT3 Cup allowed my engine to rev freely with a light tap of the throttle to 8400rpms and beyond. it's not a gimic. in a straightline you will not realize huge gains i will admit. your gains are simple. anytime you are quicker to a rev you are quicker.

doesn't matter the corner any corner (even getting milk) your only concern on a track is smooth with less brakes in and faster to throttle out..... there is nothing else to do. wait that maybe takes a little practice.

so you've entered the corner perfectly (which i do 5% of the time) minimal brakes at speeds that will make you uncomfortable, release and apex then straighten out the car and hit the throttle until you get to the next corner.

Question do you want a car that gets to power faster with a lighter fly wheel or do you want the heavier fly wheel getting you to power.

EVERYONE'S ANSWER HERE IS GETTING TO POWER FASTER. Now do it 10-25 times depending on the track per lap and Look you've found yourself 2 plus seconds around the track.

Rev matching is easier to. it is truly a blip in a car with one.

You then can practice to really become fast.

Driving's a hobby and lot's of people love it. Why not make the car behave the way real racecar's do. They are more fun. I KNOW. So drop the lwfw in and have some fun.

And Ben whomever the hell you are if your old enough to buy beer. You will get back and fourth from the store quicker if you have one. But you should practice because practice, practice, practice then brakes and tires will achieve the ultimate goal. Really cold beer for your bbq because for sure you have no desire to track your car.
LOL well if the beer/bbq quicker access, greater efficiencies pre-beer hold true (no dui thank you), i'm all for practice.

i'm not arguing the gains one may see at the track. again, my point is for the street and for the street, i wouldn't recommend something to someone else that i didn't go on and choose myself.

and someone rolling a real deal gt3 cup car is playing in a different world with different priorities than someone with your pedestrian M96 engine. i have no shame in admitting i don't care to track, don't care to learn to track, and don't care to watch anyone else track their cars unless it's in monaco and your boss's name is Richard or Flavio

Old 06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
bottom line is, you're not colin, you're not greg, you're not dr. ferry porsche's love child... you're bruce who makes a living not off your 911....so you're just like the rest of us... hobbyists of this type of car, of cars in general.

i'm typing stuff out because i know others lurk here. i couldn't care less whether people think i'm an **** or a king. let them judge.

for others who lurk and are reading this, i want them to clearly understand that there is no free lunch. once you track your 911 and mod it for that type of environment which doesn't apply to more than the majority in the forum and in the world... you give up comforts. you add a lightweight flywheel, for the nominal gains you'll get in laptimes in your racer wannabe interests, you're going to get annoying chatter and for those of us who do enjoy our cars on public roads (the clear majority), it's going to get old quick.

what would suck is someone getting the lightweight flywheel, realizing absolutely nominal gains, and then regretting their purchase.

i'm bringing the other valid perspective on things and the d!ck measuring vitae contest is laughable at best since very very few of us have any real direct experience since no one here is on porsche's motorsport payroll or any other automotive 911 payroll.

i'm just keepin it real, real honest, no hype, some opinion, some fact, let the lurkers/active posters make the call.

and i do listen to those who do enjoy track times and the cool ones, the ones who didn't grow up as hs nerds with a chip on their shoulders understand all the little gains and **** is all overshadowed by driving skills and practice. then it's tires, brake pads, fluid. the last thing they concern themselves about is a damn lightweight flywheel.
And I am typing this response for the same reason. For the lurkers out there and I dont want them to get misinformed by someone who have zero real life experience and already making such claims as "it doesnt do jack squat".

How would you know if this mod is good or not? You don't, period. You have never had this isntalled in your 996. In your case its he said she said blah blah blah.

When I do my research, I base my opinion on people who have actually had first hand experience. Those who had a stock 996 and they did mod A and reported back. That opinion is far much more valuable than those who are like "I read that it sucks so it sucks". I sure hope others who read about mod look for the same kind of opinion.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
LOL well if the beer/bbq quicker access, greater efficiencies pre-beer hold true (no dui thank you), i'm all for practice.

i'm not arguing the gains one may see at the track. again, my point is for the street and for the street, i wouldn't recommend something to someone else that i didn't go on and choose myself.

and someone rolling a real deal gt3 cup car is playing in a different world with different priorities than someone with your pedestrian M96 engine. i have no shame in admitting i don't care to track, don't care to learn to track, and don't care to watch anyone else track their cars unless it's in monaco and your boss's name is Richard or Flavio
You have no point because you NEVER had this on your car. Why would you recommend something that you know nothing about?

Its like me saying, don't try the whopper at Burger King. No I have never tried it but I heard it taste like poo. While the Whopper is good to some and not to others.

Also, for anyone else who is questioning getting a lwfw for the streets and looking for some improvement, I would HIGHLY recommend this mod if you don't mind the chatter as many others doesn't mind.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
^^^^I like whoppers.

nine9six (just got that) you have hit it on the head. who cares about chatter. you wouldn't drive a gt3 or a cgt if you did. they make noise that's it.

My problem with this and every other board is people that tell you something about a car "you own" that have most likely never seen one in person. this cracks me up.

some guy in the ferrari side with some old 80's mondial or some type of ferrari was telling me how both of my F430's drive with the F1. I simply asked your opinions must be from the countless hours of time you've spent behind the wheel of one. He has never responded to that thread again. hmmmmmm.

The next guy that tells me that my GT3 RS just doesn't add up to the other cars with the same numbers better as **** have driven one. Because they just don't f'n know.

Don't read it and spew it. Drive it and talk intelligently.

You are so correct to ask people with lwfw's what they think rather then get the opinions of the guys that most likely can't afford the mod to begin with and choose to not get it for that reason.

And yes if you ask "I have eaten at Burger King"

Old 06-18-2008, 05:01 PM
then I must try the whopper since you clearly said you like whoppers.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by nine9six
You have no point because you NEVER had this on your car. Why would you recommend something that you know nothing about?

Its like me saying, don't try the whopper at Burger King. No I have never tried it but I heard it taste like poo. While the Whopper is good to some and not to others.

Also, for anyone else who is questioning getting a lwfw for the streets and looking for some improvement, I would HIGHLY recommend this mod if you don't mind the chatter as many others doesn't mind.
nine nine you are correct i have never ever driven a 911 with a lightweight flywheel. in an ideal world, i'd be able to drive your car so that then post drive i can come back to this thread and either eat crow or confirm my suspicions.

perhaps bruce would be so kind as to let me drive his car around the block. maybe he thinks that won't happen until hell freezes over.

either way, based on my research in the 996 forum on rennlist, more folks stuck with the oem setup than the aftermarket lightweight flywheel setup. why? due to chatter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed Aasco flywheel: my impressions