996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed Aasco flywheel: my impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
nine nine you are correct i have never ever driven a 911 with a lightweight flywheel. in an ideal world, i'd be able to drive your car so that then post drive i can come back to this thread and either eat crow or confirm my suspicions.

perhaps bruce would be so kind as to let me drive his car around the block. maybe he thinks that won't happen until hell freezes over.

either way, based on my research in the 996 forum on rennlist, more folks stuck with the oem setup than the aftermarket lightweight flywheel setup. why? due to chatter.
When ever you are down in the LA/OC area, hit me up and I will take you for a spin.

As far as people who stuck with OEM flywheel, most of them are waiting for clutch to go out or the RMS to leak to give them a reason to purchase the flywheel and do it all at once.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nine9six
When ever you are down in the LA/OC area, hit me up and I will take you for a spin.

As far as people who stuck with OEM flywheel, most of them are waiting for clutch to go out or the RMS to leak to give them a reason to purchase the flywheel and do it all at once.
i disagree. a lot of them stick with the OEM flywheel as they don't want to deal with chatter. i'm going to proactively replace my clutch now and will be sticking with the dual mass.

i'll be in LA this month 27-30. swing by the Mondrian on Sunset if you have a chance. PM me if you are able! I'd love to take it for a spin. thx bud.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Ben,

Here's the bottom line (for me at least). Most performance "mods" out there have some positive and negative aspects to them. Here are just a few examples;

- 19" wheels and huge tires may look cool, but the will weigh more than comparable 18's and give a harsher ride.
- Deep front spoilers look good and improve aero, but they threaten to scrape at every curb.
- R compound tires grip like crazy, but they are expensive and don't live long.
- Coilover suspensions improve handling and looks, but generally at the expense of ride and curb damage.

In this respect this mod is like many others. It will absolutely make you car a little quicker at the expense of some possible slight noise at idle. Many don't think that's a bad tradeoff.

I think what bugs a lot of people here is that you have not even tried it and you're knocking the mod.

FWIW, I have a LWFW on my Boxster. It has never rattled, not even a little bit. I must be lucky, but for me the mod has been all gain and no pain.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
Ben,

Here's the bottom line (for me at least). Most performance "mods" out there have some positive and negative aspects to them. Here are just a few examples;

- 19" wheels and huge tires may look cool, but the will weigh more than comparable 18's and give a harsher ride.
- Deep front spoilers look good and improve aero, but they threaten to scrape at every curb.
- R compound tires grip like crazy, but they are expensive and don't live long.
- Coilover suspensions improve handling and looks, but generally at the expense of ride and curb damage.

In this respect this mod is like many others. It will absolutely make you car a little quicker at the expense of some possible slight noise at idle. Many don't think that's a bad tradeoff.

I think what bugs a lot of people here is that you have not even tried it and you're knocking the mod.

FWIW, I have a LWFW on my Boxster. It has never rattled, not even a little bit. I must be lucky, but for me the mod has been all gain and no pain.
Exactly, life is full of give/gets. If someone said you can get Ray's car, a 911, for your M3, I would've never done it. I'd still be happy in M3 land because I think it looks better and is more comfortable, a narrowbody Carrera is just too boring of a look for me. I'm vain. But I got the C4S because it gives me the outright upgrade in the looks and perf dept. It had the crazy optioned out interior. I prefer RWD over AWD and the C4S is my first AWD car and in some cases, now I can see why some people prefer AWD over RWD. I still prefer RWD, but can live with AWD due to the look. It's not that big of a gap in feel/perf for me to give up the look to get the two wheel spinnage action. The grip is crazy. The PSE fat lady has sung along this front.

And read my posts... I didn't question the gains, I just said it's too nominal for the "sacrifice" you make for extra noise thus my decision to pick the OEM dual mass flywheel over the aftermarket, lighter flywheel.

Now if the chatter is a whisper, then hey, I will reassess because at that point, it's a why not other than maybe getting some warranty coverage crap from the dealer about an aftermarket part in a part of a car that's not easily accessed.

Every post about the lightweight flywheel on Rennlist has pointed to extra noise w/ one or two expressing regret. I just need to figure out if I can deal with the chatter or not. We're talking about 911s, not Boxsters. My S2000 made no noise with its Comptech flywheel.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 06-19-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Ben my friend your such a thread jacker lol

The poor guy is so pumped about his flywheel and you gotta bring him down.

Either way I do have a AASCO LWFW and I think it is awesome. Seat of the pants right out of the box great feel. It does chatter and make noise but having no mufflers drowns that out pretty good. : )

I recommend it 100%.

Oh RS Solid motor mounts too, transforms the car!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM
stephan_porsche is infamous around these parts
Along with tons of other upgrades, I also have a AASCO Light Weight Flywheel mated to a Sachs SRE Clutch.