996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

battery chargers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
battery chargers

I replaced the battery in my C4S with an Interstate in May08. Planning to be away for a few weeks this summer, and everything I've read tells me to put a trickle charger on the car. So, which one? Porsche has 2, but I think the "silver" charge-omatic-II, 980.611.981.00, is the replacement for the "black" maintainer, 980.611.980.00. Both are available...which one is the preferred?

and, do I have this right, you just plug it into the always-hot cig lighter, plug the other end into an a/c, close the door on the power cord, or maybe crack a window open a little bit, and leave it alone.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:13 PM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Here is a thread about the older trickle charger. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=119685

Yes you plug it into the cig lighter. I'm in debate on which one to get too but I won't be needing it until the winter.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I have the black version and it works well. I didn't drive the car for at least 2 solid months over the winter. It started up just fine whenever I took it out.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:59 PM
aintME is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by judgejonathan
I replaced the battery in my C4S with an Interstate in May08. Planning to be away for a few weeks this summer, and everything I've read tells me to put a trickle charger on the car. So, which one? Porsche has 2, but I think the "silver" charge-omatic-II, 980.611.981.00, is the replacement for the "black" maintainer, 980.611.980.00. Both are available...which one is the preferred?

and, do I have this right, you just plug it into the always-hot cig lighter, plug the other end into an a/c, close the door on the power cord, or maybe crack a window open a little bit, and leave it alone.
I don't have any experience w/ the first gen charger. But, I have the charge-o-mat II and it has worked well for me. It is more or less a rebadged Ctek unit that you can find on ebay.

You have it right. I crack the window open a bit, plug it in and leave it alone...

Old 06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
yup I have the old one...and works perfectly. I try to drive the car at least once every 2 weeks or more. The maintainer is great. Def worth it if you are going to be out.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:47 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can also get a battery tender brand one

Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 AM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
Hey, thanks to all. I got a Chargeomatic II at a great price from Jeff Clark up at Sunset Imports. good info from all 6speeders most appreciated. jl