996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Carrera Reliability Concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 AM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
i think the moral of the story is that Porsche is an exotic, and will have "maintenance" that you won't see on non-exotics. Just dont buy one if the idea of dropping a grand on repairs/service sends your wallet into a tailspin

Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 AM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
2002+ has alot of revisions that fixed problems from the others

Old 06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Exotic to me is... Pagani.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM
chronoguy is infamous around these parts
2002s have problems too. I am specifically only looking at 2002+ and newer. The last car I saw was simply beautiful. Unfortunately, it failed PPI. The car only had 30K miles on it.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
In 2002, Porsche delivered about 10,400 911 models in the US & Canada. Worldwide, it was around 25,000. While not as rare as a Ferrari or Pagani, I still think the 911 qualifies as exotic. Rarity being just one qualification.... That could be a good thread: What qualifies a car as an exotic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8

Old 06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Exotic to me is... Pagani.
I had one of those for lunch today...ham and cheese...so good

Old 06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mathism
In 2002, Porsche delivered about 10,400 911 models in the US & Canada. Worldwide, it was around 25,000. While not as rare as a Ferrari or Pagani, I still think the 911 qualifies as exotic. Rarity being just one qualification.... That could be a good thread: What qualifies a car as an exotic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8
I think your numbers are off... i need to get at my streather book at home... i'm sure porsche sold more than 10K 911s in total in the US in 2002... anyways, right or wrong, i sure as **** see tons of 911s on the road in the major metros. that's not exotic to me.

exotic is a car that's worth more than most homes. exotic is a bad word to apply to cars anyways. supercar... what is a supercar? pagani zonda, bugatti veyron, Ferrari enzo, porsche cgt

it's not a car i see people putting discount tire wheels on it or fretting about lightweight flywheels.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
i think you're getting bogged down semantics and missing the point. The issue is that they are expensive to build/buy/maintain, or at least more expensive than the average production vehicle. As such people's expectation need to fall in line with the realities of cost of ownership of these types of cars.

But if you're interested in a "textbook" definition of an exotic car i dont think you'll find a solid agreement with the exception of a few brands. I would submit that the population at large would consider a Porsche to fall into the "exotic" category whereas Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW would not.

But hey if we're going to split hairs over semantics and relegate definitions to personal opinions, i tend to think that anything that ending with an "i" is an exotic.

I think your numbers are off... i need to get at my streather book at home... i'm sure porsche sold more than 10K 911s in total in the US in 2002... anyways, right or wrong, i sure as **** see tons of 911s on the road in the major metros. that's not exotic to me.

exotic is a car that's worth more than most homes. exotic is a bad word to apply to cars anyways. supercar... what is a supercar? pagani zonda, bugatti veyron, Ferrari enzo, porsche cgt

it's not a car i see people putting discount tire wheels on it or fretting about lightweight flywheels.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dcentric
i think you're getting bogged down semantics and missing the point. The issue is that they are expensive to build/buy/maintain, or at least more expensive than the average production vehicle. As such people's expectation need to fall in line with the realities of cost of ownership of these types of cars.

But if you're interested in a "textbook" definition of an exotic car i dont think you'll find a solid agreement with the exception of a few brands. I would submit that the population at large would consider a Porsche to fall into the "exotic" category whereas Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW would not.

But hey if we're going to split hairs over semantics and relegate definitions to personal opinions, i tend to think that anything that ending with an "i" is an exotic.
I hardly ever get bogged down by semantics. How do I know? I'm not an engineer, i'm a salesman.

this is not exotic:

THis is a beginning of an exotic car:

this IS exotic:

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 06-18-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Ben's online w/ my point/query - i just went off topic from the thread. So, I'll start a new one....

Old 06-18-2008, 03:22 PM
i'm inclined to agree with you on those!

I hardly ever get bogged down by semantics. How do I know? I'm not an engineer, i'm a salesman.

this is not exotic:

THis is a beginning of an exotic car:

this IS exotic:

Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Engines are pretty reliable on the 2002+ 996 but I wouldn't expect miracles.
Items that are exposed to wear and tear will eventually wear off. I had a reality check when I bought my 2002 january 1st which passed PPI with a clutch job and rms bill for 3200. I paid the price and learned to love it. Basically I'm his *****. All the rest have been mods and brakes. and my cats went bad, which I got them here for $200.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:44 AM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
Just curious Joel..how many miles? Last 4 digits of vin?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
true dat pha - if i were in the market again looking at 996s, if the 3.4 doesn't have a remanufactured engine in it, i wouldn't buy it and this is coming from a guy who's done his reading about this subject matter.
Agreed...less likely, just not , "not likely". Guy on Renntech just posted about his 32k mile 2004 under CPO with an IMS faillure yesterday. Typical uninformed owner that didn't do his homework and never heard that it was a possibility. CPO covers it, and he wanted to know how big a hit on resale he'd have!!! Posters laughed and told him it would increase value, not decrease! He wanted to get his money back from dealer, as he had the car less than 30days. No PPI...assumeded CPO was good enough. I have to agree with the posters who noticed that regularly driven cars seem to be safe once the miles get up over 50k -60k or so..seems like if it's going to happen, it'll happen by then..

Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
69k miles and it looks like I have a master bearing failure

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera Reliability Concerns