996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Carrera Reliability Concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MCM97
69k miles and it looks like I have a master bearing failure
WTF?? You said you were getting your car back yesterday? What happened? In addition to the $3400 you just spent, or is that what the $3400 was for? What year? What is the master bearing? Do you mean main bearing failure?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
master bearing? what's that? IMS? I have done a full clutch + RMS refresh. I failed to mention that the RMS was covered under Carmax warranty but I refused to have their tool monkeys deal with it and instead had my Porsche dealer (the collection) perform the job... I paid for it. The warranty guy could not believe it! Right now (after the first 30 days), the extended warranty covers all the usual stuff and repairs are done at my porsche dealership.
My car is a 2002, last 4 vin are: 0970 and had replaced the engine when the car was 8K miles young. Right now the car sits on 92.5K miles, I drive it every day, 500 miles per week. My goal is to hit 100,000 miles by the end of summer!!!
joel

Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
lanny is infamous around these parts
I really wondered about buying the warranty as my car I believe was to old to be CPO'd that I bought at the dealer. After the weighing the cost vs. what could happen I didnt buy it. I am almost 2 years into ownership with my '99 and have bought a window regulator and oil change only. At this point it looks like I made the right choice but I would never tell anyone not to. I had good records and the car checked out fine and felt great. I do need some tires now but cost to own this car for the last 2 years hasnt been anymore than my 03 4runner.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 AM
chronoguy is infamous around these parts
The guys on the Elisetalk forums think their $30K-40K 2005-07 Lotus Elises are exotic cars. For me, an exotic car needs to cost as much as a house. An Aston DBS counts as an exotic. A Bugatti Veyron and Carrera GT are supercars; above and beyond an exotic.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chronoguy
The guys on the Elisetalk forums think their $30K-40K 2005-07 Lotus Elises are exotic cars. For me, an exotic car needs to cost as much as a house. An Aston DBS counts as an exotic. A Bugatti Veyron and Carrera GT are supercars; above and beyond an exotic.

Those lotus guys need to understand their cars look like track nerd cars. nice, unique, but no panty pulling power. people ain't looking cuz they don't recognize it. people look at a 911 because they know what it is - it's no exotic, it's not a supercar, but it is like others have stated on icon, a prestigious brand car because it has history/pedigree.

i would call a pagani zonda an exotic. an exotic supercar.

what a thread. vase or vase?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Flyer007 is infamous around these parts
Interesting thought Ben, need to figure out how much panty pulling power it takes to be exotic.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 AM
chronoguy is infamous around these parts
Oops, I meant to post on the is the 911 an exotic car thread.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned
Flyer, even a Ferrari 360 has 100000x more PPP than any 911. This is based on scientific research put on my a many hs nerd now turned mega research engineers who have the coin to drop dough on a prancing horsey.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by perryinva
Agreed...less likely, just not , "not likely". Guy on Renntech just posted about his 32k mile 2004 under CPO with an IMS faillure yesterday. Typical uninformed owner that didn't do his homework and never heard that it was a possibility. CPO covers it, and he wanted to know how big a hit on resale he'd have!!! Posters laughed and told him it would increase value, not decrease! He wanted to get his money back from dealer, as he had the car less than 30days. No PPI...assumeded CPO was good enough. I have to agree with the posters who noticed that regularly driven cars seem to be safe once the miles get up over 50k -60k or so..seems like if it's going to happen, it'll happen by then..
To keep this on topic....

Yea i think after spending a year + on Rennlist reading up on things... if someone were to ask me which 996 carrera should i get... i'd tell them... try to get a 2002+ even if you really like the mk1 look... do a full PPI, but this still won't tell you if you're at a higher risk of IMS failure since that seems to happen at any time... if you can't drive with peace of mind with a potential $13K engine replacement bill over your head... get a $3,500 aftermarket warranty.

the best thing is to look for a car with a remanufactured motor under original factory warranty as i've never ever heard of a reman motor failing in real life and online. if the mk1 has a reman engine and you want to save some $, go for it and don't get the mk2 with the original motor.

call my advice messed up, but that's exactly how i'd do it aka put my money where my mouth is cuz that's when it really counts.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Doug at RSI is infamous around these parts
After talking with a few owners I don't think its the smart move for me to go with the Porsche right now. In time all good things shall come to pass!

I'm looking for a good low mileage E46 M3 now. Thanks for the info guys!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:16 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
you should also look into the Lexus IS350. It's pretty fast and it will be rock solid reliable, way beyond the bimmer.

Originally Posted by Doug at RSI
After talking with a few owners I don't think its the smart move for me to go with the Porsche right now. In time all good things shall come to pass!

I'm looking for a good low mileage E46 M3 now. Thanks for the info guys!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dcentric
you should also look into the Lexus IS350. It's pretty fast and it will be rock solid reliable, way beyond the bimmer.
disagree. e46 M3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IS350

Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 PM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
What is your build date, please? Thanks. Yours is th eclosest vin to mine I've seen so far!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Doug at RSI is infamous around these parts
Yeah, I never really paid much attention to the E46 M3's but looking at their performance stats and knowing how much I like every other BMW I've driven I have a good idea of what to expect.

My friend has a couple coming to his dealership next month that I'll be checking out. I'm sold if they're in the right condition.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
how can I get the build date? is that on the label on the door?

joel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera Reliability Concerns