996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Carrera Reliability Concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Doug at RSI is infamous around these parts
996 Carrera Reliability Concerns

Hi, I'm looking into purchasing a 996 Carrera 6spd coupe and whispers of reliability issues versus the turbo variants have me a little concerned. I like the RWD, weight, and general clean look over the turbo 996's (and the price difference is a huge bonus) so are these just random uninformed rumors or do they have any substance?

Thanks

-Doug Jones

Old 06-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
They have substance.

Get a full PPI and carfax prior to purchase. Having a remanufactured engine is a bonus.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:14 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
$3400 and I get my 996 back tomorrow. Yep, there are issues but you gotta pay to play. Don't buy one with $1000 in your bank account. I've put $3800 into mine since I bought it in Feb

Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
i've put $0 into it 1yr+ in the game (non-maint)

Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Common issues are rear main seal oil leak, coolant expansion tank leak and transmission. If the car has never had these issues by checking warranty and repair history, you should have it inspected by a competent mechanic that is familiar with 996. If there is REPEAT oil leak issue, I'd stay away from it. If it's just one time, it should be no problem. Also stay away from 4-5 yr old cars that have been driven less than 2-5k mi a year as most likely issues have not surfaced.

My personal experience has been great. No issues except 1 RMS leak and some rattles fixed covered under warranty. After warranty, no issues at all except a battery change (which is normal after 6 yrs).

Old 06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I've put $0 in repairs in one year, but maybe I'm lucky so far. There's a new breed buying these cars used that just didn't exist before: regular folks. I'm one of them. I have a family, college educations to pay for, retirement to save for, and I don't bring down enough to belong to a country club or buy a new Porsche (and still stay married). I understand apprehension that people go through before they buy one of these. For me it was a life long desire. Just do your homework, get the PPI, don't look for the least expensive one out there, pull the trigger for the right one, and hope for the best!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM
chronoguy is infamous around these parts
Get the PPI. I've been shopping and fell in love with a few 996s.
One of the one I was going to pull the trigger on failed a PPI.

I was pretty heartbroken but I rather continue my quest for the 'perfect one.'
If a seller refuses a PPI, then the car isn't worth buying. The car that failed my PPI came from a dealer.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM
jdbaker is infamous around these parts
I had two fail the PPI before I hit with the third one.

1 year so far and not a penny into it (other than the "upgrades" that are fun and expensive).

I hedged my bet with an extended warrenty. Always worry that they might not pay, like they've been known to do, but I'm hopeful I can hold my own against them if it comes down to that.

Look at it from a total cost of ownership. Perhaps less for the car and more in keeping it running but, in the end, a nice performance package for the cost.

If I had wanted something with no known exposure to problems, I wouldn't have bought this car.

Love the car.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
SoCal996 is infamous around these parts
1yr + and $0 with repairs, the aftermarket upgrades, which can be addicting, are a different story

Old 06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
ElusiveC4 is infamous around these parts
There are a number of fairly common problems that can occur with the 996 series many of them have been mentioned already or use the search function. I went 3+ years without any significant non-regular maintenance issues, then had almost all of the common problems occur within a 1 year period which was definitely a shock to the bank account. (RMS leak and clutch replacement, coolant tank replacement etc.)

Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
AP2Suzuka is just really niceAP2Suzuka is just really niceAP2Suzuka is just really niceAP2Suzuka is just really nice
How much did you guys pay for your PPI's?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Do yourself a HUGE favor and look for a CPO car at a Porshce dealer...factory warranty up to 100k miles. Mine covered a complete new engine as well a bunch of other things....all without a dime out of pocket. In this market you should EASILY be able to get one at or below private party blue book value with the factory warranty.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by newport996
Do yourself a HUGE favor and look for a CPO car at a Porshce dealer...factory warranty up to 100k miles. Mine covered a complete new engine as well a bunch of other things....all without a dime out of pocket. In this market you should EASILY be able to get one at or below private party blue book value with the factory warranty.
CPO is a good idea but will cost more. Also, don't trust CPO alone. CPO inspection is a joke that doesn't really determine if the car has been in accident or have mechanical issues. So, i'd still inspect a CPO car.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive
CPO is a good idea but will cost more. Also, don't trust CPO alone. CPO inspection is a joke that doesn't really determine if the car has been in accident or have mechanical issues. So, i'd still inspect a CPO car.
Again....read the post. If you negotiate, it will cost you no more. I got my car for LESS than private party blue book....WITH a CPO warranty up to 100k miles. So it didnt cost me more. An inspection is a good idea, but MAY NOT reveal an engine that will let go in 5k miles. If that does happen, without a CPO warranty you are still stuck with a 10k repair bill. A CPO car can have accident damage, and you can get a cars service history through the dealer and know what repairs have been done. There are also minimums for tread depth, brake pad thickness, clutch, ad well as a whole host of areas. Who do you know that will put a new clutch, tires and brakes on a car and then sell it? Those things alone can be worth $4K. Personally I trust a place where I can go back to and have them fix it or change it if its not right. I did...my tires on the inside showed more wear than...a week after I purchased it, a brand new set of Pirelli's were on it from the dealer.

Last edited by newport996; 06-17-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by djantlive
If the dealer CPO inspection is a joke then it's on the dealer to fix down the road

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera Reliability Concerns