996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

K&N intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:06 PM
PhantomMoneyPit is infamous around these parts
K&N intake?

Does anyone have a K&N intake on their car? if so do u rec. buying one over replacing my factory airbox

Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 PM
taynut has a spectacular aura abouttaynut has a spectacular aura about
Yep, I got one but can not actually say it does much more than add some killer sound WOT......That's my personal observation. Some people say they get more out of the EVOMS System. Here's a pic of mine installed......

Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
I was talked out of the K&N system by a Pcar mechanic. He told me to avoid any filter that has to be oiled which can cause issues with the sensor. He wasn't selling anything just giving his advice. I just use the fabspeed red tube and the factory paper filter.

Last edited by Steve's 996; 07-31-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
I have the Fabspeed red tube and the BMC Filter. This was the first mod I did. I thought it was worth it. Oil the filter lightly

Old 08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
I lvoe my K&N personally - much better sound and over 3500 rpm you notice a nice pop of power.
Warning - we got into space quicker than it takes to instal one of these kits. Set aside 2-3 hours and at least a 6 pack

Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I love my KN! I kept it when I sold my 996 and now have it on my 997. Makes a great sound and does perk up the accelleration a bit.

If a mechanic tells you to avoid it because of the "oil", this is total misinformation. While some folks could conceivably over-oil the filter and foul a MAF, the filter comes pre-oiled and lasts forever. I think the only issues recorded were with 99-01 cars with the early MAF sensor. Cleaning it with an electrical spray-clean or updating it to the newer MAF solves the issue. I don't know of any 02+ cars that have had an issue. It's a great intake for the money. my 25-cents-worth.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:28 AM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
I love my KN! I kept it when I sold my 996 and now have it on my 997. Makes a great sound and does perk up the accelleration a bit.

If a mechanic tells you to avoid it because of the "oil", this is total misinformation. While some folks could conceivably over-oil the filter and foul a MAF, the filter comes pre-oiled and lasts forever. I think the only issues recorded were with 99-01 cars with the early MAF sensor. Cleaning it with an electrical spray-clean or updating it to the newer MAF solves the issue. I don't know of any 02+ cars that have had an issue. It's a great intake for the money. my 25-cents-worth.
I should be getting my KN today actually and look to install it this afternoon. I bought it off a fellow member and he has never had a problem with it. The only problem is if you OVER oil it like Porsch3 said. I have the Plenum and so did the guy that I bought it off and he said its a VERY nice upgrade and compliments the plenum greatly. Ill keep you guys posted once I install. Porsch3 I cant stop looking at your pic of the Midnight Blue haha sweet ride man im a little jealous

Old 08-02-2008, 08:46 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
hehe- thanks cabova! G/L with the install, it is very painless if you bought it "pre owned" and the metal air box is already assembled (because it is a PITA to assemble the airbox). The only part you'll have to fart around with is the left-side intake snorkel. you have to kind of eye-ball it in place, close the decklid down a bit to ensure it lines up with the air opening inthe deck- then shoot in a couple of screws to secure the snorkel in place.

Put your key in position 1 in the ignition, then disconnect the negative terminal of battery.
1. install metal airbox first and secure to vehicle with three bottom bolts
2. install KN pipe to TB (with air filter element removed)
3. secure MAF to KN pipe, be sure to spin the wiring harness boot on the MAF plug 180 degrees
4. secure rear of metal air box to the frame surrounding latch mechanism (using the supplied L brackets)
5. line up and secure the plastic intake snorkel to left side of airbox- drill two holes and use two screws to secure at top where snorkel slides into airbox.
6. secure air filter

now hook up your battery, start it up and drive a few blocks to let the car adjust.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Are they CARB legal??

Old 08-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes- totally legal. Passed smog checks on the 996, and again on the 997 just day before yesterday. no prob.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 PM
PhantomMoneyPit is infamous around these parts
thanks for everyones help, but i think im gonna go the stock route w/ bmc

Old 08-02-2008, 12:52 PM
hmm- waste of money, you will not gain sound or hp. you might as well just leave it as-is and spend the money on something else. my 2c..

Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 AM
AllBusinessJoe is infamous around these parts
I think the only issues recorded were with 99-01 cars with the early MAF sensor. Cleaning it with an electrical spray-clean or updating it to the newer MAF solves the issue.
What else can you tell me about the "updated, newer MAF" for 99-01 996?

When purchasing a new MAF, how can you tell if it is an "updated" version?

I have a 99 996 with a K&N and I tripped my MAF. I usually just quickly disconnect the battery, clean the MAF, and reconnect the battery. This fix usually only lasts a week.

I enjoy the performance and sound upgrade of the K&N, but I would also like to properly correct the CEL due to the MAF.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Wow sorry to hear that- In regards to the newer MAF, I'm repeating what I've read in other related posts here on the six. Check with your local Porsche dealer to see if there is an updated part number. Did you re-oil the filter recently?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:37 PM
AllBusinessJoe is infamous around these parts
Wow sorry to hear that- In regards to the newer MAF, I'm repeating what I've read in other related posts here on the six. Check with your local Porsche dealer to see if there is an updated part number. Did you re-oil the filter recently?
I didn't apply any additional oil on the K&N filter when I installed it. In fact, the filter seemed to be only very lightly oiled right out of the box.

I bought a MAF sensor off a fellow 6-speeder in hopes of it working in my car. Neither of us knew if it would fit for sure, but when I received it, it was slightly different and cannot be plugged in due to a slight design change. The MAF I bought has one side of the plug in area squared off on one side.(see pic) I have it for sale in the "Parts for Sale" folder.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K&N intake?