996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

my 996 vs saab 900 spg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
ls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bruceinmiami
nobody is pretending they're reliable. especially since we're talking 20 year old cars. but sexy never comes cheap.

Looks like a duck...an ugly one

Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 PM
ls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ls911
Looks like a duck...an ugly one

Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Yeah thats a GM designed one....Once they took over in the 90s the whole quality thing went WAAAAAY downhill....its funny, back in the 80s it was THE car to have....Way more prestige than a beemer....Performance was nice from my 16v Turbo....Fun car. When I sold my 87 with 250,000+ miles the only thing that was revealed by the PPI inspection was a $40 oil leak. Not bad for a car on its original engine.

Originally Posted by dcentric
I had a 2000 9-3 Convertible. I can say without hesitation that it was the worst car i've ever owned, period. I wouldn't go near another saab with a 100-foot clown pole. Sure, the power train was reasonably reliable, but everything else was crap. Once the warranty ran out it was an absolute nightmare. I almost paid someone to take it off my hands and even now breathe a sigh of relief at the fact that it is no longer in my possession.

Not to mention the turbo lag mixed with torque steer, combined with the rough ride.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:55 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough

Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Jake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the rough
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion".

Don't make ignorant comments before experiencing first hand.

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 AM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
Well i can tell you from my first hand experience, that "strangeness" in the context of that quote must mean "crap build quality." I'm glad to be rid of that POS.

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion".

Don't make ignorant comments before experiencing first hand.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Jake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the rough
Well i can tell you from my first hand experience, that "strangeness" in the context of that quote must mean "crap build quality." I'm glad to be rid of that POS.

Sorry to hear about your experience. You may have gotten a lemond. This is my 4th Saab and my 3rd Viggen and never had a problem with them. I sold my first 9-3 for another car and my other 2 Viggens were totalled in accidents. The last vig had over 100K km and ran like new. Other than the torque steer and cowl shake from the cab, it was one of the most comfortable and smooth hwy drive cars. Not to mention the stage 3 mod that brings the car to a complete sleeper pushing 300hp 320ft/t.
With the Porsche as my DD, I still have the itch every so often to get into now my wife Viggen and go for a drive.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
phthom is infamous around these parts
First car i ever had was a 90spg w/ the airflow bodykit. Anyone that has the patience or heart to still roll a c900 as a daily is a hero in my book. I've said plenty of times that i'd trade my r32 staight up if i was guaranteed 2 years of maintenance free driving of my old spg. Far from fast but fun as hell to drive and sounded amazing in the end.... being before it entirely stopped running. I don't know of anyone who has owned an spg that doesn't have a soft spot for them. New generations are far as rock solid but mainly because people try to stretch their oil change intervals to 10k atleast w/ the 4cyl, the v6 have been and always will be junk imo.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
maybe i did get a lemon, but i'm not inclined to try again—especially since i'm not a fan of small turbo engines connected to front wheel drive cars. To make matters worse we owned it when we lived at high altitude, which made the car an absolute dog until the turbo kicked in, then it was the annoying torque steer.

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Sorry to hear about your experience. You may have gotten a lemond. This is my 4th Saab and my 3rd Viggen and never had a problem with them. I sold my first 9-3 for another car and my other 2 Viggens were totalled in accidents. The last vig had over 100K km and ran like new. Other than the torque steer and cowl shake from the cab, it was one of the most comfortable and smooth hwy drive cars. Not to mention the stage 3 mod that brings the car to a complete sleeper pushing 300hp 320ft/t.
With the Porsche as my DD, I still have the itch every so often to get into now my wife Viggen and go for a drive.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
maybe i did get a lemon, but i'm not inclined to try again—especially since i'm not a fan of small turbo engines connected to front wheel drive cars. To make matters worse we owned it when we lived at high altitude, which made the car an absolute dog until the turbo kicked in, then it was the annoying torque steer.
The new GM version or the Saab is pretty crappy, they share many parts with the cavaliers and the pontiacs. If you ever get a chance to drive a Viggen (made only between 99-02) you may have a different opinion about the Swed Saab. A fabulous Turbo 4 cyl engine where till today is still talked about by many Turbo P car enthuiast. My Vig is pushing 300hp and averages about 24mpg.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
DJbrand1 is infamous around these parts
Oh you mean Slaaab's?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 PM
bruceinmiami is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by phthom
First car i ever had was a 90spg w/ the airflow bodykit. Anyone that has the patience or heart to still roll a c900 as a daily is a hero in my book. I've said plenty of times that i'd trade my r32 staight up if i was guaranteed 2 years of maintenance free driving of my old spg. Far from fast but fun as hell to drive and sounded amazing in the end.... being before it entirely stopped running. I don't know of anyone who has owned an spg that doesn't have a soft spot for them. New generations are far as rock solid but mainly because people try to stretch their oil change intervals to 10k atleast w/ the 4cyl, the v6 have been and always will be junk imo.
amen on all counts. clearly someone who simphasizes with saab junkies,

Old 08-19-2008, 08:45 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Yes you had one after GM bought Saab. The Swedish car was a TANK. The 16v Turbo was truly a hot engine. I was on my original engine and transmission at 250k+ miles. It still got up and ran pretty good for a 4 cylinder car....

Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Cvaria is infamous around these parts
Sorry...saabs have always been on the ugly side 4 me, esp the older yrs, those are just plain fugly

But the hot girl knew her ****

They might of though you were high...like pulling next to a cambry in an S class giving props
saabs are hot. the newer ones are crap though

Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
CMT
CMT is infamous around these partsCMT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by phthom
Longtime lurker chiming in to echo this sentiment. I had a 1991 SPG exactly like the one posted earlier in this thread, and I will always remember it fondly. It was my college car, it tore through the worst winters that upstate NY threw at me, and while it wasn't the fastest thing on the road, it sounded great and was worlds of fun driving back roads despite the FWD.

It also kept me alive. One night a friend was driving, and thought he could take an almost 90 degree turn at 60 mph. He drove right into a tree, and I was in the passenger seat sans belt, and walked away without a bruise or a scratch. The car was totaled, but I was not, and as such I will never forget (or fail to appreciate) the old SPGs. Especially not given the rarity of seeing one in decent condition in the areas I frequent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my 996 vs saab 900 spg