996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 N/A Software Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fasteddie99
The only thing holding me back on these mods is $$$. Ridiculous that a plenum and software "upgrade" cost $2K. Break it in half and I'm all over it. Just cause we own Porsches doesn't mean we have an endless supply of cash...
amen brother.....if the products were 500.00 as opposed to 1000 ea imagine how many more folks would buy ......

Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Rush996 is infamous around these parts
Installed the plenum this morning..felt a modest difference through the mid and upper range. Bolted on the JIC exhaust tonight. Not near as loud as I expected, but very nice and deep. I'll post videos soon. To this point, I think the curve has been smoothed out a bit. Downloading the REVO tomorrow, installing the filter and going to dyno in the afternoon. I love the exhaust (weighed the mufflers @ 7.2lbs each), but to this point I think the SPEC lwfw/clutch install has had the biggest effect on the car.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
you know.... I inquired about the InMotion tuning today and I honestly can't see any diff between theirs for $300 and others for $1k. They look to have a lot of euro car experience and have been around for some time. http://www.inmotionusa.com/porschegraphs.html

They also custom tune to your prefs and do not require you to send in your ECU. Turbo tunes are only $400. I also noted a 996 GT3 owner in their forum who posted rave reviews after getting the ecu update. Why hasn't anyone tried them?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:59 AM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
I am going to use there software upon my return from sea....

Rush996...Dont forget that it takes the DME time to adjust to mods made...power might come on slowely over a couple of days depending on use and driving habits

Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
you know.... I inquired about the InMotion tuning today and I honestly can't see any diff between theirs for $300 and others for $1k. They look to have a lot of euro car experience and have been around for some time. http://www.inmotionusa.com/porschegraphs.html

They also custom tune to your prefs and do not require you to send in your ECU. Turbo tunes are only $400. I also noted a 996 GT3 owner in their forum who posted rave reviews after getting the ecu update. Why hasn't anyone tried them?
interesting - so for 300.00 clams they send you a reprogrammed chip correct? This must be a 3.4litre hmmm

Porsche 911(996) 300
300 PS
322 PS
350 NM
370 NM

Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
They send you a software flash kit with the updated file and OBD2 to USB cable.
I'll find out more today. For the price it bears investigation.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 AM
I put about 50 miles, lots of throttle after the plenum and another 60 last night after the exhaust. I live a ways from work, so I made a night trip to catch up on some tasks. I'll add another 80 to the dyno today.
I really like the Cross exhaust (very deep sound) but it could be more aggressive. Can anyone describe the difference in overall noise level with cat pipes ?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
What are cat pipes- you mean cat bypass pipes or 200 cell cats?

If you want more agressive, you should seriously look at the AH sport pipes. They should give you exactly what you are looking for. Watch video in my sig.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Denis GTPRO is infamous around these parts

Like i said. I have used them and the company is very good. The reason why people dont talk about them or try them is because they are cheap and they think that "if its that inexpensive, it CANT work well". Not the case. Porsche owners are conditioned to think it must be expensive to work well

Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I was speaking of the by-pass pipes...resonated or non. Your AH sounds good. I'm hoping for a nice weight reduction, too, to compliment the Ti exhaust. Anyone know the by-pass pipes weight savings ?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Denis GTPRO
Like i said. I have used them and the company is very good. The reason why people dont talk about them or try them is because they are cheap and they think that "if its that inexpensive, it CANT work well". Not the case. Porsche owners are conditioned to think it must be expensive to work well
Good to hear...I was planning on getting there software when i get off my ship in september...I will post my results!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Rush996
I was speaking of the by-pass pipes...resonated or non. Your AH sounds good. I'm hoping for a nice weight reduction, too, to compliment the Ti exhaust. Anyone know the by-pass pipes weight savings ?
I have them. Nice sound. Kinda loud. Only issue is i kinda made a custom exhaust out of them tha. A bunch of people were offering to buy it from me at the IPD Testing day with RSS. Basically it removes the mufflers, removes the cats, hooks directly into the headers. They started life as a catbypass from supersprint that fit like ***, So i rewelded them, put muffler where the cats WOULD go and put muffler bypass tips on them. Sounds better than anything ive ever heard on a porsche and looks dope.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Denis GTPRO; 08-22-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Denis- that is pretty bad ***. Nice design indeed. Have any video? I guess the only downside is it won't pass smog checks here in good 'ol strict CA. What did you do about the CEL light from disconnecting the cats? - or was that not an issue?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Denis- that is pretty bad ***. Nice design indeed. Have any video? I guess the only downside is it won't pass smog checks here in good 'ol strict CA. What did you do about the CEL light from disconnecting the cats? - or was that not an issue?
You know, the funny thing is is i NEVER got a cel code. Since i put the 02 sensors BEFORE the aero turbine mufflers, i guess maybe it didnt trip them. I will post a video in an hr or so. You think i should start building these ? Oh, say 1000 bucks for the system ?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 PM
As far as emisions are concerned it not but every 2 yrs and is not hard to put cats on and go smog. These things only weight about 12-15 lb for the PAIR of them , and offer great performance and the sound is amazing. Whats a little extra work every 2 yrs? And i have never been pulled over driving my porsche.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 N/A Software Upgrade Question