996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Widebody Conversion Under WAY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by jenner
Riiiiiiight...and all the weight from this widebody conversion is just lost somehow?

I bet his RWD "widebody conversion" ends up as heavy as the AWD C4S. Unless the widebody materials are all carbon fiber which I doubt.

With 19x12" rear rims and matching tires and who knows how wide on the front, think about all that unsprung weight/rolling mass. I'm sure it is going to be really [sic] "nibble"

Before I posted that, I didn't know he was putting on those huge wheels. That said, had he not, he wouldn't have the weight of AWD weight (or the overboosted drive itself feel IMO) or those turbo brakes. Also, I hope after spending all that dough he gets it supercharged.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Jenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud of
Originally posted by ben, lj
Also, I hope after spending all that dough he gets it supercharged.
I agree!

Old 08-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts
i think he is getting it super charged. have fun Vince.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Are you going to supercharge it?

Old 08-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Jenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud of
Makes sense, since the front bumper and rest of the car is all apart....

Still don't see how an aftermarket widebody + supercharger is better than a factory turbo/widebody but to each his own!

Old 08-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts

Still don't see how an aftermarket widebody + supercharger is better than a factory turbo/widebody but to each his own! [/B]
well you start with a 40k car, add 12k in parts and labor, your still well under, with a one of a kind car. now if you add the new 4.0 engine from germany (TUV approved) with 450 lbs of torque that we would be on.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Banned
RWDRIFTC2 is infamous around these parts
According to Porscheusa.com:
Narrow body 996:
Width 69.7 in
Wide body 996:
Width 72.1 in

Unless my math skills totally suck, that's a difference of 2.4"

All that money to make a narrow body car 0.6" wider than a widebody Turbo and have 100hp less(never mind a Twin Turbo with chip/turbos etc).

Whatever flips your skirt!
When I talk about width I am talking about the size of the wheels itself that can fit on the front and the rear, and not what Porsche has posted on its website. On the turbo we can fit a 19x12 with a 4" lip. That is maxed out on a turbo with a normal wheel forging. On the narrow body we can fit a 19x11 with a 3" lip. Given you can fit a 19x13 on the rear of a turbo with the right tire, the lip still stays 4". On my car I will be able to fit a 6" lip in the rear. That is where I am getting the 2" wider than then the turbo. Now with a curved forging you can fit a 5" lip on a turbo and a 7" lip on my widebody. So my car is still 2" wider than a turbo to the outside of the fender.

Last edited by RWDRIFTC2; 08-11-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:08 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Don Relentless
well you start with a 40k car, add 12k in parts and labor, your still well under, with a one of a kind car. now if you add the new 4.0 engine from germany (TUV approved) with 450 lbs of torque that we would be on.
hmm this sounds more liek a plan for someone i know lol

Old 08-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Banned
Here are some more pictures of the conversion

Last edited by RWDRIFTC2; 08-11-2004 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Dabum is infamous around these parts
Cant wait to see it, those rims look really good (with the 6 inch lip)

Keep us updated.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:27 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Makes sense, since the front bumper and rest of the car is all apart....

Still don't see how an aftermarket widebody + supercharger is better than a factory turbo/widebody but to each his own!
In addition to having 1/2 the $ in the car, he'll have less weight and probably larger contact patches - not to mention the lack of AWD. If he SC's it, it will likely outperform the TT on the track.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:21 AM
Banned
In addition to having 1/2 the $ in the car, he'll have less weight and probably larger contact patches - not to mention the lack of AWD. If he SC's it, it will likely outperform the TT on the track.
I am not looking to out perform a turbo or a c4s. I have thought about supercharging and it is defintely something I am thinking about in the future after some more reliablity tests. Another option is the 4.0 liter 450hp natural aspirated motor upgrade. Both are go options for C2 or C4 non turbo, to get that turbo performance. I just love the look of a really wide 996 similar to Erics and Henry's. I do once in a while want to take it out to the track and see what it will do, but all in all I just wanted a nice looking car with wider fenders.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:56 AM
True...but the other was designed to work together by Porsche engineers and has a warranty. Not that a '99 C2 has a warrranty, but you get my point.

Also put in a chip, upgrade the Turbos and give the TT sticky tires and see who does better on the track...

Last I checked the heavier C4S with AWD larger brakes and wider tires(factory as compared to C2) lapped a big faster than the C2 on the Ring...

Take a look at the June 2002 Excellence magazine. The C4S lapped Nurburgring in a faster time (by 4 sec. with Porsche factory driver) than the C2, even though they said the C2 is faster in a straight line. Said with an average driver the C4S would still be better because of AWD confidence, better brakes, and suspension.

Old 08-11-2004, 05:35 AM
swordsman is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by RWDRIFTC2
I am not looking to out perform a turbo or a c4s. I have thought about supercharging and it is defintely something I am thinking about in the future after some more reliablity tests. Another option is the 4.0 liter 450hp natural aspirated motor upgrade. Both are go options for C2 or C4 non turbo, to get that turbo performance. I just love the look of a really wide 996 similar to Erics and Henry's. I do once in a while want to take it out to the track and see what it will do, but all in all I just wanted a nice looking car with wider fenders.

Your car should look awesome when it's finished. I'm also having the widebody conversion done on my TT at the same shop, I think I've seen your car there. Mine is the silver TT with Gemballa body kit.

The most unbearable part about this is the wait...

Old 08-11-2004, 06:04 AM
1317wholesale is a glorious beacon of light1317wholesale is a glorious beacon of light1317wholesale is a glorious beacon of light1317wholesale is a glorious beacon of light1317wholesale is a glorious beacon of light
Yes! Vince way to go....Good luck!!!! Always wider is better....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Widebody Conversion Under WAY