996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

'02 996 Head Unit Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Rush996 is infamous around these parts
'02 996 Head Unit Upgrade

Is it possible to upgrade the CDR-220 Non-MOST, keeping the rest of the system (factory amp and speakers) and not lose a ton of sound quality? Is one converter better than another? I may upgrade the complete system in the future, but for now I just want to control my iIpod and listen to my new Cross exhaust

Which manufacturer has the best ipod control ? I want to stay with a single DIN unit. Back in my stereo days (only 15 yrs ago) the Alpine and Eclipse were my favorite units. Now I'm sure it's a different ballgame. Good output voltage (for the future) and well implemented ipod control are my primary goals. Thanks ahead for the suggestions..

Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Do a forum search for "kenwood" - there are a lot of good reads. Here is my DIY, inspired by other members here.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hlight=kenwood

you'll get much better sound quality with a new head unit. Kenwood DNX-7100 and 7120 work great. If you are going to do this you really must go double-din for the good nav and ipod control. Why not?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
what porsch3 said above, i think it's possible and i considered it as a cost effective upgrade before i got my REUS system

make sure to look into the response time of the ipod controller, some older systems gets really laggy when browsing ipods with lots of music

good luck

Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Guys. I'm looking to stay with a single DIN b/c I want an extra pocket..I don't need the Nav. Who's got the fastest ipod control in a single din ? Also, will the factory speakers take a better amp? Anyone know the impedence and if there is an amp that works well ?

Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM
pcvinsel is infamous around these parts
I agree, you'll get a big improvement in sound quality by changing the head unit. I went with an Alpine iDA-X001, mainly since I really like Alpine receivers back in the '80's and '90's. Well, the sound quality is good but the iDA-X001 is pretty bad in all other aspects (iPod control, Bluetooth, etc...)

I've heard good things about the Kenwood.

The conversion was very easy with an adapter I found referenced on this site. Sorry I can't remember it, but it was a "standard" adapter (VW I think)that just needed the power and ignition wired swapped.

Peter

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 PM
kunkstyle is infamous around these parts
The Kenwood eXcelon series is good if you're looking for a single din. I've got the 7xx series and I'm really happy with it. I also looked at the Alpine iDA-X001 but the lack of a CD player threw me off. I friend of mine has one though and just loves the iPod integration.

I believe the wiring harness to be used is a metra 1774. I've got a spare if you're interested.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 PM
I've been doing some research and the Kenwwod X792 seems to be the ticket. Thanks for the confirmation on the good ipod control. I've changed direction and think I will go ahead and replace speakers and amp. Does anyone know what it looks like behind the rear panels? pics? I'd like to relocate bass to the rear and build a nice soundstage up front..

Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Just sharing some research on this:

- the Nakamichi CD300 is probably what is going to match the factory look the best and still play MP3s. The older Nak decks matched even better, but couldn't play anything but audio CDs. They are apparently NLA in the US, but quite a few retailers have them still. About $200.

- The Alpine ida-x100/200/300 are available with red or switchable illumination, and are digital music heads, no CD player. Great iPod controls, best in the business imho, and a cool display. Also pretty simple looking so not too obnoxious. This is what I went with, as I hate carrying CDs anyway.

For me, at least, the rest of the systems out there are too bling boing blah for me. I also didn't want anything that was going to stand out, as I'd rather not have the top on my cab slashed for a <$500 stereo. :P (car currently has a Pioneer AVIC-N3 installed by the previous owner, which is going on fleabay when I get around to pulling it out)

Old 09-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
here's my bling blang apline unit

everything else his hidden including the 4 6" subs in the back... you can't see it.

oops

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 09-17-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
stereo? where???

hey Ben, who's the girl in the front? The non-asian one?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:18 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
DUDE. did you NOT go to pre-school. SHARE!!! SHARE!! SHARE!!! please tell how i can be introduced to those girls

Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
LOL...I was just going to give Ben props if that was his girl. Geez...

Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
hahahaha.. ben's like.. "oops. that's my "private collection" hahahahah

Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM
delirium is infamous around these parts
what plug & play wiring harness do I use to install an aftermarket stereo? i have a 2004 without the bose system, i think its a base system.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 AM
kunkstyle is infamous around these parts
On the MY00 it's the Metra 1784 or 1787, depending on if you've got a factory amp (hifi system). Don't know if it's the same for a non-most MY04 though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '02 996 Head Unit Upgrade