996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Fabspeed vs GHL Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned
toddh23 is infamous around these parts
Fabspeed vs GHL Exhaust

Im a newbie and just bought my first Porsche 3 weeks ago. Im hooked! I love owning a Porsche and now just starting to getting into all the forums. Im debating between putting a Fabspeed vs GHL Exhaust on my 02 996 Cab2. I hears good and bad bout both but little more bad stuff bout Fabspeed. Any advice, input, or experience with these 2 exhaust would really help. Thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned
LA TECH is infamous around these parts
No brainer. Fabspeed is the way to go. Fabspeed is a specific Porsche exhaust. If im not mistaken GHL carries a variety of lines. Fabspeed has a truely nice exhaust note.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LA TECH
No brainer. Fabspeed is the way to go. Fabspeed is a specific Porsche exhaust. If im not mistaken GHL carries a variety of lines. Fabspeed has a truely nice exhaust note.
Fabspeed makes exhaust for ferarris too.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
I've got a complete Fabspeed system: Headers, 200 CEL cats, mufflers and tips. I'm very happy with the sound and added power. If you just want to have a little more sound, you can go with the mufflers alone.

The mufflers are easy to install yourself, though I would recommend spending the few extra bucks for new clamps for the tips (and some new tips if yours are getting dull).

If you decide to install the entire system yourself, you'll have to deal with the O2 sensors--not a big deal, but requires a special tool to remove the sensors before you drop the cats.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Flyer007 is infamous around these parts
I have GHL mufflers only and love the sound. Perfect between too loud and loud enough. I have thought of afterhours also.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:50 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I always vote for the AfterHours sport pipes. They sound mean as heck, and are hand made specifically for pcars only. They are not high priced and the company provides very good service, offering a standing $50 discount to any Porsche forum or club member.
You'll also pick up HP / TQ and won't need to mess with upgrading your cats.
Vids of them on my 996 http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...9D4B22DB1E5767.
Absolutely my #1 fav at any price. www.afterhoursautomotive.com (yeah and that is my dyno chart posted on their website!! )

My other fav recommendation if you want slightly tamer sound but still much meaner than stock is Agency Power. Decent price, good service, well made, adds HP. I enjoyed them on my 996 as well. www.vividracing.com - The owner, Dan, is a site sponsor and a good guy to deal with.

you can spend a whole huge amount of money on exhaust upgrades / name brands, so shop around and see what suits you.

Welcome to the six - post some pics of your ride!!

Last edited by p0rsch3; 09-09-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM
RedlineMotorworks is infamous around these partsRedlineMotorworks is infamous around these parts
You honestly can't go wrong with either. We carry GHL and have had nothing but compliments with their system.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
^ true true, I've seen nothing but good posts about both brands. I recall reading a few threads where it was felt the Fabspeeds were fairly quiet.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 PM
AllBusinessJoe is infamous around these parts
I'm not too familiar with GHL's, but I installed FabSpeed mufflers on my 996. My opinion is they are raspier and throatier than the stock exhaust, and even more pronounced upon acceleration. But they are not too obnoxious, which is what I was looking for. I would say the FabSpeeds were a nice match for me and will give you an increase in sound and performance, but would also be considered tame by the standards of most of the people on this forum. For an example, some of these guys on the forum make their needle kiss the redline on a regular basis, and some run bypass pipes!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
BDPorsche is infamous around these parts
Both are excellent exhausts... I have to second p0rsch3 on the Afterhours. I have yet to install an exhaust on my PCar, but I have been doing a lot of research and I am truly impressed with what I have read about Afterhours. Of course, I am in no way saying Fabspeed and GHL are bad, but my research (and money) are going to Afterhours.

Good Luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BDPorsche
Both are excellent exhausts... I have to second p0rsch3 on the Afterhours. I have yet to install an exhaust on my PCar, but I have been doing a lot of research and I am truly impressed with what I have read about Afterhours. Of course, I am in no way saying Fabspeed and GHL are bad, but my research (and money) are going to Afterhours.

Good Luck!
Ditto. My AH pipes should be here Friday.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
Mufflers are cool. But the headers and high-flow cats take it to whole new level. If you've dropped $1,500 on the cold air intake and plenum, you've really got to go all the way.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
to be honest....Fabspeed

Congrats on joining a happy club!!! If it helps, I had convinced a friend of mine to install the Fabspeed mufflers and headers on his car a few years ago. He has been VERY happy with them, and I Just bought his car a few months ago, and now I am going to add the Fabspeed high-flow cats on Tuesday because I LOVE the way the system sounds, quiet at idle and around town, but get up next to a median on the highway and nail it, and your ears will climax!!! Definitely Fabspeed! Call them, if you haven't already, and talk to Jayson. he is the man over there!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I agree, if you are running traditional can-type mufflers like Fabspeed, GHL, AWE, Agency etc. the sport cats will definitely add some extra sound and kick.
Straight-through dual resonator designs like AH or Jubily really don't require sport cats, the sound is already more than loud enough at WOT and you probably want to preserve some backpressure via the stock cats.

Aftermarket headers I'm not sure about yet- I keep entertaining the thought but have not seen much concrete data to support them as a performance enhancement. I don't think I would change them for sound alone.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:50 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Headers do not show any significant increase in power on N/A cars and not worth the coin after doing research. I don't wanna mess with low/mid torque band and therfore will not run high-flow cats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed vs GHL Exhaust