996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Renting a Porsche in Germany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:11 PM
TMAC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
I travel to Germany a couple of times/ year. Depends upon what you want to see and do. What cities you want to visit.

My favorite region is Munich, though the area around the black forest is also incredible. Berlin, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Fulda, Rottenburg, Heidelburg are also great destinations for a day or more.

When we pick up our turbo we are doing Stuttgart, Baden Baden, Mulhouse (fr),Lake Constance, Davos (Che), Bormio/ Stelvio (it), Gamisch, Fussen, Munich, Nuremburg, Erfurt, Stuttgart.

We will do 2-5 hrs driving per day. If you have any specific questions, just ask.
Wow brnsrgn, it sounds like you have had a lot of fun over there and will again when you pick up your new Porsche.

There are several things I want to see so it is good I have 3 weeks over there. I will be working Monday - Friday only and I may even get a few of those days off too.
We will have 3 trips there next year but I may or my not get a chance to go then so I will make the best of it this time.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 PM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
As was mentioned, AVIS works well. Two different types of credit cards required Amex/ Visa, etc.

Also don't plan to take it to the Ring. The rental car companies specifically forbid it in their contracts. There are tons of pro and amateur photographers at the ring, and the car companies pay something like $100 for a shot of one of their cars on track. If they catch you you will pay, though if you can pull off any indication that it's a rental car you might get away with it...

Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by petevb
As was mentioned, AVIS works well. Two different types of credit cards required Amex/ Visa, etc.

Also don't plan to take it to the Ring. The rental car companies specifically forbid it in their contracts. There are tons of pro and amateur photographers at the ring, and the car companies pay something like $100 for a shot of one of their cars on track. If they catch you you will pay, though if you can pull off any indication that it's a rental car you might get away with it...
Good info, thanks.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Steve Germany is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TMAC
Thank you everyone for your input. I will run through these options and see what I come up with. I am extremely excited about this trip. I have wanted to go for some time now and the chance just came up. The coworker who is traveling with me happened to be stationed in Germany for 4 years and is a good friend of mine which will help on this trip.
I will let you know what I come up with.

Steve Germany, are there any good events or suggestions you could make for outings seeing that you live there.
Thanks
I need to know the exact dates that you will be here and then I can check around. As soon as I haue my JIC magics mounted I'll be planning a trip up to Nurburgring - perhaps that will match up. There are son many things to see and do here. A stop by Gemballa or Techart is always fun. The Mercedes display in downtown Stuttgart (Canstadt) is fantastic. The Volksfest runs from next week through the first week in October (the Ocktoberfest of overrated IMHO).

Tschuess! Guhtfart!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Germany
I need to know the exact dates that you will be here and then I can check around. As soon as I haue my JIC magics mounted I'll be planning a trip up to Nurburgring - perhaps that will match up. There are son many things to see and do here. A stop by Gemballa or Techart is always fun. The Mercedes display in downtown Stuttgart (Canstadt) is fantastic. The Volksfest runs from next week through the first week in October (the Ocktoberfest of overrated IMHO).

Tschuess! Guhtfart!
I leave Tampa, FL on the 10/30 and arrive in Stuttgart at 7:50am on 10/31. I will be there until 11/22.

Yes I know, there are so many things to do and with only 3 weeks to see them all I will be exhausted when I return home. That is ok, it will be worth it.

It would be great to meet up with someone from the area so please keep in touch. My email is macias.t@gmail.com which is the best way to contact me.
Thanks,
Troy

Old 09-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Steve Germany is infamous around these parts
Almost all rental cars have "HH" as the first two letters of their lisence plate (but on the other hand the plate is removable in 3-5 minites. The bottom of the holder snaps out, you slide the plate out of the plastic holder (drop in a ring-er plate) and off you go! Not that I'd advise this activity! ; )

Old 09-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Germany
Almost all rental cars have "HH" as the first two letters of their lisence plate (but on the other hand the plate is removable in 3-5 minites. The bottom of the holder snaps out, you slide the plate out of the plastic holder (drop in a ring-er plate) and off you go! Not that I'd advise this activity! ; )

Old 09-14-2008, 03:52 PM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
Whats the name of Alex Roy's company? Don't they do this?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:18 PM
tuonoR has a spectacular aura abouttuonoR has a spectacular aura abouttuonoR has a spectacular aura about
Good place to rent at the ring

Try this:

http://www.rent-racecar.de/gb/

When I was at the ring a couple years ago, Theo set me up with a race outfitted 3-series. Looks like they have expanded quite a bit. This is one of the few ways to get a car that is approved to be on the ring and insured. The brother of the guy who runs the company builds racecars, so the one I rented had race seats, roll cage, all the carpeting, etc. pulled out and 5-pt harnesses. Sure it had some miles on it but it worked great (other than needing to cool the brakes every couple of laps).

Plus he was nice enough to give us a ride around the track in his Golf...this was perhaps the best part as he was pressuring and passing 911s all the way around.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:47 PM
That is really cool, I will be looking into this for sure.
I got some bad news this week. My trip may get delayed until December now. I really wanted to go in November so now I have to wait until this week to get this all straightened out.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks to everyone for their information.

Originally Posted by tuonoR
Try this:

http://www.rent-racecar.de/gb/

When I was at the ring a couple years ago, Theo set me up with a race outfitted 3-series. Looks like they have expanded quite a bit. This is one of the few ways to get a car that is approved to be on the ring and insured. The brother of the guy who runs the company builds racecars, so the one I rented had race seats, roll cage, all the carpeting, etc. pulled out and 5-pt harnesses. Sure it had some miles on it but it worked great (other than needing to cool the brakes every couple of laps).

Plus he was nice enough to give us a ride around the track in his Golf...this was perhaps the best part as he was pressuring and passing 911s all the way around.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
I'm going there this month, thanks for the info!

A

Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 AM
nlcrs2000 is infamous around these parts
Smile

Hi,

I'm from Australia and I've always wanted to drive on one of the Autobahns. I'm visiting in mid May and would like to plan my driving experience on the Autobahns to be fun but also safe.

I'm meeting my wife at Frankfurt Airport (myself having been in Europe for 2 weeks already) at 0600 mid May.

I'm planning to drive from Frankfurt Airport leaving around 0800 to Stuttgart. The Porsche museum in Stuttgart is a place I want to visit as well. I want to do this drive in a sports car, preferably a Porsche. I'm currently looking up hire cars that will allow me to go from Frankfurt to Stuttgart. Any tips on hire companies?

I've looked up on Google maps the route I would take from Frankfurt to Stuttgart, the route says E451, A67, A6 then A81.

My question is, at 0800, driving Frankfurt to Stuttgart on said route, mid May, will I be able to briefly make 250kmh safely (just a personal thing) driving approximately 180kmh for the rest of the trip?

Any tips?

Old 01-31-2010, 05:54 AM
Altaran is infamous around these parts
www.freiefahrt.info has an interactive traffic map that will also show you the zones where you can currently drive without speed limit (Freies Fahren).
If you got Internet before you start driving, check it. The site is in German though.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
tarzancoe is infamous around these parts
http://www.eliterent.com/
From a 997 to an R8 (the r8 for less bty).

Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
usasig is infamous around these parts
porshce rental in berlin

so has anyone got this experience? 911 on autobahn? where to rent? i own a porsche in US, but i want to experience the autabahn when i visit Berlin in April.
any advice will be appreciated, also does anyone have link for the RING experience?
thank you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Renting a Porsche in Germany