996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Space Gray or Graphite Grey? Puzzled with the code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Guybrush is infamous around these parts
Space Gray or Graphite Grey? Puzzled with the code

Which one - Graphite or Space - are we talking about here? I need to find out to order some leather dye.

Can anyone help?

Name:  Porsche911006.jpg
Views: 2933
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  Porsche911interior.jpg
Views: 7386
Size:  63.2 KB

Old 09-14-2008, 04:34 PM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
looks like graphite from here... Don't know about the codes... I thought space grey was rare and darker than graphite.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:41 PM
racesx is infamous around these parts
Yeah, def looks graphite grey!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:36 AM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
the B character after the paint code would however signify space grey as far as ive been led to believe with the C then standing for graphite grey for the trim colours (ie switch surrounds/ashtray etc etc)

catching leather shades accurately in photos is very tricky, your colour looks very much like mine does in some photos (lighter than it is, sometimes as light as graphite but with a blueish hue that graphite doesnt seem to carry) and i was always lead to believe mine is space grey. mine is darker than regular graphite grey thats for sure when cars are side by side and much darker than it ever photographs.
is yours actually much darker in real life than when you take photos?

Last edited by neilwight; 09-16-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Guybrush is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by neilwight
the B character after the paint code would however signify space grey as far as ive been led to believe with the C then standing for graphite grey for the trim colours (ie switch surrounds/ashtray etc etc)

catching leather shades accurately in photos is very tricky, your colour looks very much like mine does in some photos (lighter than it is, sometimes as light as graphite but with a blueish hue that graphite doesnt seem to carry) and i was always lead to believe mine is space grey. mine is darker than regular graphite grey thats for sure when cars are side by side and much darker than it ever photographs.
is yours actually much darker in real life than when you take photos?
I have to say the picture above pretty well describes the colour in real life. Maybe slightly lighter in the pic. I never realized that the trim panel colours are marked by a code as well. If thats the case, that makes finding the name for the interior colour even more difficult.

Seems like the only option for me is to cut a piece of leather for sample and send it over to a shop that will match the color with paint.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 PM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...diy-stuff.html

take a look at porsches radio install thread. his interior is graphite grey on graphite grey and should give you a comparison.
the first character of the two digit code after paint code tells you the leather code, C being graphite, B being Space Grey, M being red etc etc.
the second character is meant to signify the trim parts but i cant work out how this applies myself.
space grey was replaced after MY00, i assume dark grey replaced it for a year or two and was then dropped too.

why dont you run your car over to porsche and ask them to tell you what shade it is if you arent sure.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:40 AM
DaninMCI is infamous around these parts
This is an ancient thread but I thought I'd respond with a good source for the 996 model years at this link
http://howtoporsche.com/911-series/9...r-color-codes/