996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

VF Supercharger Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
hey guys! just an update on the car not starting issue. i had RPM north swap out the battery this weekend and problem solved. i guess when our cars are low on battery, the computer kindof acts up a bit. i also had my first 1500 mile supercharger oil change. i was surprised by how little oil our supercharger uses. it was this little clear bottle with red fluid

after RPM swapped out the battery, the CEL went away (not sure if that happened because of the battery change) but I checked to see if i had any pending codes and i had two, bank 1 and bank 2 running lean (normal codes i guess)

i met up with redridge this weekend and we worked on my car fixing stuff here and there. redridge really knows his stuff, thanks for you help and your expertise

and jstrat, i saw your car at RPM north, looking good, cant wait to see the numbers when your car is put back together

Last edited by angldrkns9; 10-06-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
hey guys! just an update on the car not starting issue. i had RPM north swap out the battery this weekend and problem solved. i guess when our cars are low on battery, the computer kindof acts up a bit. i also had my first 1500 mile supercharger oil change. i was surprised by how little oil our supercharger uses. it was this little clear bottle with red fluid

after RPM swapped out the battery, the CEL went away (not sure if that happened because of the battery change) but I checked to see if i had any pending codes and i had two, bank 1 and bank 2 running lean (normal codes i guess)

i met up with redridge this weekend and we worked on my car fixing stuff here and there. redridge really knows his stuff, thanks for you help and your expertise

and jstrat, i saw your car at RPM north, looking good, cant wait to see the numbers when your car is put back together

Running lean is hardly "normal". What were the codes?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all

whats up jason im glad you got that checked out. my car might be ready tom, im just waiting on the gaskets for my headers. i want it back so bad!! redridge knows a lot when it comes to these superchargers! cant wait to all meet up!!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
It's normal. At least under the conditions that mine are thrown. I've talked with EVO about this. It's not under load and always takes place at idle, for less than one second. For some reason the system goes just enough out of the computer's parameters to throw a code. EVO is aware of this and said it's nothing to worry about. Based on my datalogging, I don't think it's anything to worry about either considering just how rich this setup runs, especially at full boost. It runs 14 at idle and dips into the 10's at full boost. I only get this error during significant climates changes, which translates into 3 or 4 CELS a year.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:24 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
1999: Could you post a DIY for the air filter?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of

well, i told deputy dog before about the codes and he's had them before so i guess they were normal

um. redridge was with me when the codes were present on Sunday, redridge do you remember the code numbers?

i have them stored on my laptop, i can check when i get home tonight.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by deputydog95
It's normal. At least under the conditions that mine are thrown. I've talked with EVO about this. It's not under load and always takes place at idle, for less than one second. For some reason the system goes just enough out of the computer's parameters to throw a code. EVO is aware of this and said it's nothing to worry about. Based on my datalogging, I don't think it's anything to worry about either considering just how rich this setup runs, especially at full boost. It runs 14 at idle and dips into the 10's at full boost. I only get this error during significant climates changes, which translates into 3 or 4 CELS a year.
hey deputy, the A/F ratio is complete different from yours. at idle mine is like 16 and up. most times at idle, i don't even get a reading.. under full boost I see 10-12.

hm.. could it be the new software?

Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
1999: Could you post a DIY for the air filter?

When I find time I'll type something up.

What "lean" codes are you getting?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 PM
hey deputy, the A/F ratio is complete different from yours. at idle mine is like 16 and up. most times at idle, i don't even get a reading.. under full boost I see 10-12.

hm.. could it be the new software?
are you using a digital or analog AF gauge? your idle in a 996 should be around 14 at idle. it's going to be tough to tell if you can't actually datalog what is taking place. that is why i am a big fan of the zeitronix unit. it makes diagnosing a problems a little easier when you can record all the readings on a laptop and replay them in relation to TPS and boost.

like we discussed before about the CEL, look at when it was thrown and under what condition and what duration. mine was literally for less than a second around 800 rpm. i'm not losing sleep over it and Evo was aware and wasn't concerned. now if you throwing a code under boost, i would really start to sweat that. under full boost you should be seeing a much steadier reading than between 10 and 12. it is tough to tell if it's your guage or the ECU. you may need to take it to a dyno and have them stick a sniffer in there while you're making a run.

check your OBD software and pull the codes so we can see what you have. post the duration and rpm too.

i doubt VF has changed the software since taking over distribution. even with their "stage 2" the setup runs so rich under boost you could easily run an extra psi or two so there would be no need to change anything. i could be wrong. 1999 is really the diagnostic expert on here.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 PM
When I find time I'll type something up.

What "lean" codes are you getting?
If I remember right, he is getting "system bank one too lean". could be bank two. i can't remember now.

thanks for the write up in advance.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Redrige: What happened to your post about the catch can?

Also, what happens when your catch can reaches full capacity? Is there another relief valve in the system just in case you fill it up?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 AM
i'm using a digital AF gauage. i will call Delius up today and check with him if i have an updated software. i remember that he told me i would be getting the updated version of ths software which he told me had significant changes and runs much better

i'm defintely getting 16-17 at idle. i took my car for a drive last night to confirm. i'm definetly getting 10-12 during boost

the first CEL was only bank 2 running lean but the last time I checked, i now have BOTH bank 1 and bank 2 lean codes. all my CEL lights come on during idle and the car runs perfect but it's annoying having to clear the codes

since I got the car back i've put on 1500 miles in about a month in a half and i've had to clear the CEL light 4 times already. i'm defintely getting the CEL more often than deputydog. but then again i'm having an idling issue that needs to be address by RPM. my car idles at 1200 w/o the ac on and at 800 with the ac on, so i suspect a leak somewhere
i played with an older model M5 last night and he didn't stand a chance

i think redridges catch can is still a work in progress

are you using a digital or analog AF gauge? your idle in a 996 should be around 14 at idle. it's going to be tough to tell if you can't actually datalog what is taking place. that is why i am a big fan of the zeitronix unit. it makes diagnosing a problems a little easier when you can record all the readings on a laptop and replay them in relation to TPS and boost.

like we discussed before about the CEL, look at when it was thrown and under what condition and what duration. mine was literally for less than a second around 800 rpm. i'm not losing sleep over it and Evo was aware and wasn't concerned. now if you throwing a code under boost, i would really start to sweat that. under full boost you should be seeing a much steadier reading than between 10 and 12. it is tough to tell if it's your guage or the ECU. you may need to take it to a dyno and have them stick a sniffer in there while you're making a run.

check your OBD software and pull the codes so we can see what you have. post the duration and rpm too.

i doubt VF has changed the software since taking over distribution. even with their "stage 2" the setup runs so rich under boost you could easily run an extra psi or two so there would be no need to change anything. i could be wrong. 1999 is really the diagnostic expert on here.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
PM sent guys...

Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Redrige: What happened to your post about the catch can?

Also, what happens when your catch can reaches full capacity? Is there another relief valve in the system just in case you fill it up?

Since I have an imeasurable amount of blowby, I have never had to drain it in 3 years 40,000+ miles. If I had a blowby problem, I would simply run a hose from the bottom of the can and splice it into the oil line between the SC and the block using a one directional (or PCV) style valve. This would allow all oil in the can to drain tot the sump after engine shut down.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
the question... would you want this stuff back in the engine...mixture of oil and condensate (water)...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VF Supercharger Thread