996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

VF Supercharger Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
i'm using a digital AF gauage. i will call Delius up today and check with him if i have an updated software. i remember that he told me i would be getting the updated version of ths software which he told me had significant changes and runs much better

i'm defintely getting 16-17 at idle. i took my car for a drive last night to confirm. i'm definetly getting 10-12 during boost

the first CEL was only bank 2 running lean but the last time I checked, i now have BOTH bank 1 and bank 2 lean codes. all my CEL lights come on during idle and the car runs perfect but it's annoying having to clear the codes

since I got the car back i've put on 1500 miles in about a month in a half and i've had to clear the CEL light 4 times already. i'm defintely getting the CEL more often than deputydog. but then again i'm having an idling issue that needs to be address by RPM. my car idles at 1200 w/o the ac on and at 800 with the ac on, so i suspect a leak somewhere
i played with an older model M5 last night and he didn't stand a chance

i think redridges catch can is still a work in progress
Sounds like you have issues. I'm not sure what to suggest other than taking it back to RPM. Your idle and full boost readings should be fairly stable. Mine barely fluctuate by no more than .10ths at specific rpm's. Your idle sounds way lean at 16-17. 10-12 for WOT is fine, but I'm surprised that it varies that much. As soon as I reach maximum boost at WOT, mine settles in at around 10.5 and stays solid. I know this is way rich and not optimal for getting the most HP, but at least I should have no detonation problems and have some wiggle room if I ever want to go with a smaller pulley.

regarding your CEL's, what is the rpm and duration of the problem that triggered the code? I only get 3-4 per year so you definitaely have something else going on. did they say what they did differently with regards to the programming? Honestly there wasn't really any need for improvement so I'm not sure what they could have done. The only thing that could have been improved was to maybe get rid of some of these nuisance CEL's but it doesn't seem that they went that direction.

Who is doing the programming anyway? Is GIAC still involved or are they doing it in house?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
i think RPM either sent it out for reprogram or they had the equipment in house to reprogram, i forget which one

Originally Posted by deputydog95

Who is doing the programming anyway? Is GIAC still involved or are they doing it in house?
i guess since i have that idle-ing issue now there is definitely something wrong

i think i'll drive it for the rest of october and since i'm not planning on driving this car in the winter this year, i'll leave it at RPM and they can take their time and work out the issues

Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
yeah... turning the ac off should not increase the idle, nor turning it on should drop it.... the car DME should compensate for the extra load (the AC) and increase the rpm... it even sounds like its doing it backwards... DME compensating when its off rather than being on...

It sounds like theres bugs... Is this still a GIAC software or.... in house VF software?

i think RPM either sent it out for reprogram or they had the equipment in house to reprogram, i forget which one

i guess since i have that idle-ing issue now there is definitely something wrong

i think i'll drive it for the rest of october and since i'm not planning on driving this car in the winter this year, i'll leave it at RPM and they can take their time and work out the issues

Old 10-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
they send it back to vf to do the flash. whent today and saw my car, now im waiting for the high flow cats and my fab speed mufflers. headers are going on today,cant wait! im going to the car show this sunday all you guys should stop by.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jstrat85
they send it back to vf to do the flash. whent today and saw my car, now im waiting for the high flow cats and my fab speed mufflers. headers are going on today,cant wait! im going to the car show this sunday all you guys should stop by.

your car gonna be in the RPM lot?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:45 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
You guys should find out who is doing the programming now... I doubt VF is setup to actually alter the software, but I could be wrong. Flashing it is one thing, altering the program is a whole different story. It was my understanding that at least originally, VF developed the hardware, and EVO worked with GIAC to make it work with regards to the installation and ECU programming. For a while at least, I think it was exclusively Garrett from GIAC that was responsible for the 996 programming.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Redridge
your car gonna be in the RPM lot?
yea what about you?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
yea what about you?
my car will be at the RPM booth too sunday
i guess i'll see you there jstrat

if our cars are on display, does that mean we have to stay the entire day for the show?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned
my car will be at the RPM booth too sunday
i guess i'll see you there jstrat

if our cars are on display, does that mean we have to stay the entire day for the show?
i dont think we need to be there all day. i allways stay untill its over, its alot of fun, trust me. i was there last year also. see you sunday jason.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 PM
blown996 is infamous around these parts
has anyone on 6speed gone with a smaller pulley?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:27 AM
i only know of one, but i'll let him talk about it.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:37 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by blown996
has anyone on 6speed gone with a smaller pulley?

I run a smaller pulley, however, I don't have to worry about keeping the engine parameters withing specific guidlines, such as a/f ratio, fuel trim, maf signal, etc since I have all error reporting shut off on the DME.

It is not as simple as just installing a smaller pulley. Modfication may have to be made to the MAF signal to prevent it from spiking too high and blowing it. You have to know your a/f ratio before and after, etc, etc.

One pulley size smaller does not require a different belt, but any smaller and the belt has to be shorter.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by AERO996
1999Porsche911 - May I ask what pulley size (psi?) you are running and where you sourced it? (3.4 setup from VF - 6psi)

Other than the MAF resistor, what else needs to be done for this specific mod? What Ohm resistor needs to be used in your case?

Sharing this information would be greatly appreciated, since VF has been lagging on the Stage 2 kit, Im sure many would love to increase the performance of thier 996 SC setups like you have!

Thanks
You can get the pulley directly from Vortech Superchargers. Your current setup has a resistor inline on the MAF cable. You will need to measure the voltage at WOT to determine how close to 5 volts you are. Exceeding 5 volts for extended amount of time may fry the sensor. You also have to know how rich you are running under the current setup. Most likely, you are running rich at WOT which accommodates a pulley mod better. The increase in resistance necessary on the MAF cable will be determined by which pulley you use, flow of your injectors, etc. You may also need to install a variable control for the MAF depending on how negative your LTFT goes.

Individual CEL's will need to be addressed accordingly.

Before you start changing pulleys, if you have not done my engine compartment fan mod, you are giving up more than 20 hp due to intake tempertures.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned
"if you have not done my engine compartment fan mod, you are giving up more than 20 hp due to intake tempertures."

more info on this please thanks.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:13 PM
"if you have not done my engine compartment fan mod, you are giving up more than 20 hp due to intake tempertures."

more info on this please thanks.

Engine Compartment Fan

Connect a wire to the ground of the relay located in the relay carrier behind the passenger seat, driver’s side. Relay #8. . Feed this wire to where your switch will be located. I simply fed the wire along the driver’s side of the car and under the door sill. Connect the wire to one side of the switch. Connect another wire from the other contact on the switch and connect the other end of this wire to a chassis ground point.

With key on, this switch will now immediately turn on the fan drawing air into the engine compartment. When you turn the key off, the fan will continue to run for about 5 seconds until the relay shuts down. Your fan operation remains normal when the switch is off. This mod helps keep the engine compartment much cooler when driving around town and is particularly beneficial to any engine that draws its intake air from inside the engine compartment, such as the EVO SC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VF Supercharger Thread