996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Double Din Aftermarket Head Unit in 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:01 PM
TMAC is infamous around these parts
Double Din Aftermarket Head Unit in 996

I am considering a double din Nav unit from Alpine or Eclipse. I would like to know who has put them in and to see some pictures on fitment.
Eclipse has an all in one unit, the AVN6620 but anything you find on line says it won't fit in the 996. I am not worried about the harness because I am rewiring the car anyway.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TMAC
I am considering a double din Nav unit from Alpine or Eclipse. I would like to know who has put them in and to see some pictures on fitment.
Eclipse has an all in one unit, the AVN6620 but anything you find on line says it won't fit in the 996. I am not worried about the harness because I am rewiring the car anyway.
It's pretty easy to fit a double din stereo into the dash. You have to relocate the AC controls to the lower console. There are a few threads dedicated to this. I just followed other ppls instructions. I put in a Kenwood dnx7100 last year--fits fine. There's lots of room behind the deck. Much easier than my E46 M3 which required cutting of ducts and crap (I left that to the professionals). Check out these threads:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-feedback.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

here's the DIY that I used to help me, really good write up by p0rsh3:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...diy-stuff.html

Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 AM
erubin is infamous around these parts
I installed mine into the lower console and got a new cubby to fit the space left by by the old single din unit. The new cubby just slid right in to the slot left. I really like the lower position because it make reaching the controls very easy.

I will try and post pics later today.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Marc Gelefsky is just really niceMarc Gelefsky is just really niceMarc Gelefsky is just really niceMarc Gelefsky is just really nice
I did a Pioneer AVIC

Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
VTBigYellow is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I did a Pioneer AVIC

That looks fantastic! Where did you get the bezel around the avic unit?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 AM
jkarp is infamous around these parts
i installed the kenwood DNX7100 and it fits perfect. there's even a writeup you can find somewhere on how to use 2 different adapter harnesses so you don't have to cut/splice wires.

overall, i'm very happy with it and it wasn't hard at all.

...josh

Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
racesx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VTBigYellow
+1 I'm getting ready to DIY my Avic and need a bezel ..... also wiring help too if anyone can help me out there as well!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Can you do aftermarket Nav on a car with MOST (no Bose)? Or would all speaker line have to be rerun?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
CMiYC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lakerholic
Can you do aftermarket Nav on a car with MOST (no Bose)? Or would all speaker line have to be rerun?
I have a 2004 Coupe without Bose.

I can't find the thread now (may have been on another board), but I found that if you do not have the bose amp, speakers are run directly into the CDR-23 headunit.

So this will help some, since you can re-use those wires (if you choose.)

I've looked everywhere for my radio removal tools, but I think I left them in my other car when I sold it...

Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by VTBigYellow
I 2nd that, I wondered where you go that trim too. I worry the finished look which is why I ask.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CMiYC
I have a 2004 Coupe without Bose.

I can't find the thread now (may have been on another board), but I found that if you do not have the bose amp, speakers are run directly into the CDR-23 headunit.

So this will help some, since you can re-use those wires (if you choose.)

I've looked everywhere for my radio removal tools, but I think I left them in my other car when I sold it...
From my understanding, if you have MOST, you're screwed and have to run new wires/amps/speakers.

I have an 02, non-MOST Bose system and the amp can take line level inputs from the deck. I tried using the RCAs that came with my harness, but it wouldn't work.

The Kenwood decks come with a bezel that fits perfectly around the unit...it just needs to be trimmed to fit the dash.

Good luck, it's actually not too bad once you get everything figured out.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I did a Pioneer AVIC

Marc,
How did you get the Porsche logo on the screen? I assume you are able to load images on the unit for backgrounds so I just wanted to ask.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:00 PM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
I was inspired by Marc and did the same thing to my new (to me) 2003 996. I had it installed by a professional shop - they put a six channel amp in the trunk. I found the Garmin GPS to be the best of the bunch (depressingly, it's not as good as the 2006 Caddy STS-V the 996 is replacing). I also had the Clearchannel FM traffic unit and Sirius put in - it all integrates nicely. The Kenwood also accepts a rear camera input which I had installed.

Looks like it has always been there.

Check out what the web has to say about the Alpine and Eclipse units.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by 0luke1
I was inspired by Marc and did the same thing to my new (to me) 2003 996. I had it installed by a professional shop - they put a six channel amp in the trunk. I found the Garmin GPS to be the best of the bunch (depressingly, it's not as good as the 2006 Caddy STS-V the 996 is replacing). I also had the Clearchannel FM traffic unit and Sirius put in - it all integrates nicely. The Kenwood also accepts a rear camera input which I had installed.

Looks like it has always been there.

Check out what the web has to say about the Alpine and Eclipse units.
Post up some pictures when you can of your install. I would love to see how it came out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Double Din Aftermarket Head Unit in 996