996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Reliability of 99-02 996's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
No doubt Ben... but people want numbers... 15%-25% fail??? the question is impossible to answer.... can we say alot and call it a day? The guys with a reman or a replaced engine will def say have strong opinions... and rightfully so.

when you say m96 is notorious for IMS failure... what does that mean?... notorious to me is a coolant tank leak... does that mean engines and coolant tank fail at the same rate.... who the hell knows

Your PPI showed that your car have a reman... yet you still purchased it cause you think its bullet proof... aaaahh, welcome to Porsche ownership. On the most part you are good to go... but not totally out of the hole....
Such as life...

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
true, but the m96 is notorious for its IMS blowups. just do a simple search.

there's no denying it. the internet is now facebook and myspace and youtube. the internet is top gear and a great vast number of community forums where people share their stories. it's no longer that exhibition located at the corner of the zoo that people are just starting to run into so let's not discount 6speed/rennlist parables... that these stories here not relevant to the history of this engine just because it's on the www.

the catastrophic engine failures come up too often to be not taken into consideration during the purchase process.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Well, to add to the statistics I had to replace my 3.4 motor on my 1999 Porsche 911 C2 at 74k miles last year due to the IMS bearing failure. Loud knocking that would come and go and a bad misfire were the initial symptoms. Because I knew of the potential issues with these cars (thanks to this forum!) the first thing I had the shop do was pull the oil filter to check. It ended up being full of metal shavings and that was the end of that.

Ended up getting a great deal on a replacement 3.4 motor from my local Porsche dealer (2007 model updates included!) that has been flawless for the past 15k miles. So, as Ben stated I would be weary of one with original miles but if it has been replaced in the past couple of years you should be pretty well off.

David

Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Redridge
No doubt Ben... but people want numbers... 15%-25% fail??? the question is impossible to answer.... can we say alot and call it a day? The guys with a reman or a replaced engine will def say have strong opinions... and rightfully so.

when you say m96 is notorious for IMS failure... what does that mean?... notorious to me is a coolant tank leak... does that mean engines and coolant tank fail at the same rate.... who the hell knows

Your PPI showed that your car have a reman... yet you still purchased it cause you think its bullet proof... aaaahh, welcome to Porsche ownership. On the most part you are good to go... but not totally out of the hole....
Such as life...
i researched the whole thing post purchase dog. i figured what the hell, a c4s modded how i like it... trip to SF visit my friends at the same time, make a lil vaca out of it... transaction complete.

for your 3.4, all the more power to ya. i know you're enjoying the snot out of it like others out there. just not my cup of tea especially after having owned the f20c and s54 (both very reliable and no IMS equivalent).

you don't have to put numbers behind it to get a gut feel that everything's not kosher. that's the meaning behind it all - something doesn't smell right.

people ultimately decide with their wallets. 3.4 original engines, imo, are to be avoided if you're not at peace with the very real possibility that the thing's going to go $12K's worth of kaput without notice.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 10-08-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
My 2000 engine went last month with the oil/coolant intermix problem. A 3.4 is now $11,010 plus core deposit at Sunset and Suncoast. over $15,000 at my local dealer. When Sunset checked the inventory they said PCNA showed only 1 3.4 available in the country, lots of 3.6's and 3.6 X51's. So if there were 138 in inventory in June, and only one now thats alot of replacements over the summer. I am also told that the 3.4's have gotten so much more expensive because they are newly imported at new exchange rate/pricing while the 3.6 inventory is older stock at the old pricing. Don't know how valid this is. But it is crazy that a 3.4 is $2,500 more than a 3.6 and $1,500 more than a 3.6 X51.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
asifallasleep is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by salo65
We bought a 99 Tip a year and a half ago, we have put 30K miles since then and has been fairly trouble free other than an expansion tank, window regulator ignition, starter and just recently, a new transmission. Most under extended warranty. Lucky for me I bought the car with a warranty. I broke down and shelled out the $4K for another 2yr /24k mile warranty since I track the car 3x per month. I may dump it at the end and upgrade to a newer model that I can put n extended warranty on. I don't have the pockets to withstand big hits like engines and trannys. Most of the other silly things that go wrong still run between $500-$1000. I have 80k miles on it now and plan on running it hard until the warranty ends. What a fabulous car!!
the crazy thing is what other car would replacing the transmission or replacing the engine not be considered such a major thing with such low miles. quality control at porsche is obviously lacking

Old 10-10-2008, 06:30 AM
laverda668@gmai is infamous around these parts
I bought a 98 996 3.4 about five weeks ago. After a week it crapped itself and mixed water and oil, filing the cooling system oily snot. I'm really regretting buying the dog now. If anyone knows where to get a cheap second-hand engine, please let me know, I just want to get it back on the road and get rid of it.

cheers

Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by laverda668@gmai
I bought a 98 996 3.4 about five weeks ago. After a week it crapped itself and mixed water and oil, filing the cooling system oily snot. I'm really regretting buying the dog now. If anyone knows where to get a cheap second-hand engine, please let me know, I just want to get it back on the road and get rid of it.

cheers
i love these cars and even with the nightmare i had with my 03 i was considering buying another one, but your post did it for me. i am cured. until i can afford the 997 with the new designed engine, i won't be touching another porsche. unless i got a pre 996 model. unbelievable. all these stories and porsche has done nothing. i can't even believe it hasn't even been picked up by the mainstream media. anyone with a 996 that has had an engine blow, whether or not it was under warranty and replaced or not should join forces with people who were not fortunate enough to have a warranty and do whatever they can to hold porsche accountable or at least let the masses know to hurt porsche's bottom line

Old 10-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by laverda668@gmai

cheers
how many miles were on it?

Old 10-10-2008, 10:41 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I had a 02 which was rock solid. Would not hestitate to get into another P-car.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by s14roller
I had a 02 which was rock solid. Would not hestitate to get into another P-car.

You had 18K on it when you sold it? Of course it was rock solid. Pretty early on in the game for stuff to start screwing up.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by asifallasleep
You had 18K on it when you sold it? Of course it was rock solid. Pretty early on in the game for stuff to start screwing up.
i wouldn't hesitate either, but with certain conditions being met.

plus the '02s have the 3.6 which does not have as "substantive" a record as the 3.4s.

romanticism aside, buying the newest 911 (not necessarily lowest mileage) you can afford is good advice.

s14roller had a siq carrera - heck, i almost bought it.

p.s. get that Rolex yet?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i wouldn't hesitate either, but with certain conditions being met.

plus the '02s have the 3.6 which does not have as "substantive" a record as the 3.4s.

romanticism aside, buying the newest 911 (not necessarily lowest mileage) you can afford is good advice.

s14roller had a siq carrera - heck, i almost bought it.

p.s. get that Rolex yet?

When i was shopping for a car i decided to go with an 03 versus and 00 I was looking at. Figuring the newer model would be best. Turned out the the 03 i bought was nothing but a nightmare. Consumer Reports now says that the 03 is the worst 911 in over 10 years

Old 10-19-2008, 05:51 PM
ufranko996 is infamous around these parts
got an 01 c2 seems to run fine, however there is something that raises my eyebrows and thats when i'm in 1st gear going slow, clutching on and off sometimes i notice the engine kinda seems like it dropped down on the mounts a bit hard. I have to be careful when i'm doing the clutch on low speeds to prevent that. anyone notice this? maybe this is what causes RMS leak?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Well, to add to the statistics I had to replace my 3.4 motor on my 1999 Porsche 911 C2 at 74k miles last year due to the IMS bearing failure. Loud knocking that would come and go and a bad misfire were the initial symptoms. Because I knew of the potential issues with these cars (thanks to this forum!) the first thing I had the shop do was pull the oil filter to check. It ended up being full of metal shavings and that was the end of that.

Ended up getting a great deal on a replacement 3.4 motor from my local Porsche dealer (2007 model updates included!) that has been flawless for the past 15k miles. So, as Ben stated I would be weary of one with original miles but if it has been replaced in the past couple of years you should be pretty well off.

David
David,

what side of the engine was the knocking coming from... driver's or passenger side? did the knocking increase in speed as the rpm's increased?

did the dealer compensate you on the purchase of your motor?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by asifallasleep
When i was shopping for a car i decided to go with an 03 versus and 00 I was looking at. Figuring the newer model would be best. Turned out the the 03 i bought was nothing but a nightmare. Consumer Reports now says that the 03 is the worst 911 in over 10 years
so go get that '00 then let's see how well you sleep at nite

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reliability of 99-02 996's?