996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Reliability of 99-02 996's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 AM
diro is infamous around these parts
i was toying with the idea of buying a 1999 C2 but thanks in part to this forum - as well as the slumping economy - i decided to post-pone that purchase for a few years and save up for a 2002 C2. the engine reliability and overall comparison between the two models from users on this forum was key in making up my mind.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:10 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Can I ask a stupid question here: why wouldn't your car insurance cover a catastrophic engine failure? Maybe I'm being naive but isn't that was insurance is for?

It certainly isn't just for accidents...

Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lakerholic
Can I ask a stupid question here: why wouldn't your car insurance cover a catastrophic engine failure? Maybe I'm being naive but isn't that was insurance is for?

It certainly isn't just for accidents...
Yes it is

Old 10-24-2008, 12:17 AM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kitw
Yes it is
I don't know. If an engine blew through no fault of my own, I'd demand Porsche cover it. If they didn't then my insurance better!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Well, I stand corrected and am a moron... only covered if as a result of a collision.

.. and I'm a lawyer. Duh!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
yasuro is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by asifallasleep
the crazy thing is what other car would replacing the transmission or replacing the engine not be considered such a major thing with such low miles. quality control at porsche is obviously lacking
apparently the new GTR requires transmission replacement at regular intervals. seems insane. also, warranty is voided if you use "launch" mode which is even more insane.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yasuro
apparently the new GTR requires transmission replacement at regular intervals. seems insane. also, warranty is voided if you use "launch" mode which is even more insane.
pls, don't even begin to compare the NEWLY launched GTR with ZERO service history... pure conjecture, pulling out or your **** v. M96 which has been out for a LONG time with lots of user stories.

GTR is a bad **** ride. period.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 PM
zerosoul914 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by laverda668@gmai
I bought a 98 996 3.4 about five weeks ago. After a week it crapped itself and mixed water and oil, filing the cooling system oily snot. I'm really regretting buying the dog now. If anyone knows where to get a cheap second-hand engine, please let me know, I just want to get it back on the road and get rid of it.

cheers
BEFORE you pull the trigger on that motor...

Replace the oil cooler and oil cooler seals, then flush the motor. My 2001 Boxster 2.7 (m96 based just like yours) and had the oil and water dance inside the coolant. Everyone told me my motor was done, till I actually flushed it and replaced the oil cooler and seals. The flushing process took the entire day to get the majority of it out. Although I could not get all the oil out of the coolant, the car is running just as hard and just as cool as it did before. If in fact it is the motor, go for a later 3.6 model as these seem to be less likely to go. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:09 AM
HanKooKRyda is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
pls, don't even begin to compare the NEWLY launched GTR with ZERO service history... pure conjecture, pulling out or your **** v. M96 which has been out for a LONG time with lots of user stories.

Fool. M96 gots no experience. Call me when it's all growns up. Who are you to put down the M96. listen son get yerself a real ride then you can play with the adults.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Banned
NCMD is infamous around these parts
fool ben owns a C4S, but im confused reading his last post haha

Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 AM
92tsiawd is infamous around these parts
I just put a deposit on an 03 996 C2, is that engine better than the mk1 3.4 litres? Any details on this?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
The Turbo engines seem to be bullet proof.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tt-2002-a.html

Old 11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Guys,
The TT 996 is getting much cheaper now....and it has the gt1 engine.... I acted on this kind of data and went tt after my 993. No issues in 30k miles.

JB

Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
yasuro is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi

[media]http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/gtr/2009/2009_GTR_WIB.pdf[/media]

if you look on page 9 under "What is not covered" you'll see:

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control
(VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in
mud or snow (see GT-R Owner's Manual).

the problem is if you use launch control you have to turn VDC off, thus voiding you warranty for launching your GT-R.

so what i'm stating is not "pure conjecture". you can read it in the warranty documentation.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
I recently bought a 01 C2 that had the engine replaced by Porsche under warranty at 70K in Jan/07. The car now has 92K miles. Should I have some sort of warranty coverage left on the replacement engine?