996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Shifting...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
alan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of lightalan6888hk is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mathism
Sounds like you may also be dropping the clutch to fast. I had this problem when I got on the track w/ the 996 the first time. To shift fast, be smooth. It doesn't take any different motion or technique than your normal shifts - just a slightly quicker pace. Redridge has it right. Find someone who has good track experience and watch their hands and feet on a lap. You will learn a lot from that. You won't see jerky motions. Everything is smooth and orchestrated.
Exactly! I really should find someone who is a pro and watch him driving..
Thank you for sharing your experience on track...mathism
and
THX for all the comments fellows... They are really helpful!

Ray, that was a great clip... that driver does have a crazy technique..
How's your 996TT by the way??

Alan

Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by alan6888hk
when you guys are going quick, most of us are doing quick gear changing, right? When I was upshifting fast today, it bangs in every gear, I am just wondering would this banging hurt the engine or the transmission?
I wouldn't worry about your transmissin when shifting through 1-2-3-4 quickly. Even if you don't rev match, and shift as quickly as possible, you're not going ruin your tranny. You could even skip a gear and be fine (1-2-4).

Going the other way, that's the real issue. 4-3-2-1 is MUCH harder. And skipping gears is much more difficult to get right. Going 4-2 (and still being in the peak torque band) is pretty tough. That's going from around 110-120 down to around 40. Pretty cool when it works though

-td

Old 10-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Alan, I saw your car at Bridgeport 2 days ago. I might be go out and test my friend's 650hp TT this weekend. If you interest, we can meet up. I'm no where near a pro, but I believe I can show you some quick shift if you want!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:37 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Nice video clip, but a bad example for us. Those old Group B rallye drivers are flat out CRAZY. (How about the fans right on the edge of the course! No way that happens in the US.) They use the clutch for much more than shifting. His shifts are silk though. That guy is a Porsche test driver now.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
I wouldn't worry about your transmissin when shifting through 1-2-3-4 quickly. Even if you don't rev match, and shift as quickly as possible, you're not going ruin your tranny. You could even skip a gear and be fine (1-2-4).

Going the other way, that's the real issue. 4-3-2-1 is MUCH harder. And skipping gears is much more difficult to get right. Going 4-2 (and still being in the peak torque band) is pretty tough. That's going from around 110-120 down to around 40. Pretty cool when it works though

-td
you're not worried because it's not your tranny and it's not your wallet that will get it.

advising someone that skipping gears is cool is silly advice as well. don't skip gears esp on the upshifts.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
tanman is infamous around these parts
After doing a lot of autocross, in tight racetrack setup. I agree about your right hand going back on the steering wheel after each shift. I have found that it is faster to return the right hand to the 5 o'clock position rather than 2 o'clock. this is a rather an unusual hand placement, 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock, but in tight autocross tracks with very quick turns it works well.
As far as grip pressure, between purple and pink.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:10 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
don't skip gears esp on the upshifts.
Why not?

You're not going to kill your transmission skipping a gear going up. You will simply miss the torque band.

Clearly you don't get to the track and understand what your car can do. Don't tell me you're one of those people that takes "spirited drives" on the public roads and preaches how to drive fast...

-td

Last edited by himself; 10-10-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
Why not?

You're not going to kill your transmission skipping a gear going up. You will simply miss the torque band.

Clearly you don't get to the track and understand what your car can do. Don't tell me you're one of those people that takes "spirited drives" on the public roads and preaches how to drive fast...

-td
i don't claim to be anything nor should you with your street car track as a hobby mentality who doesn't have the talent or commitment to make a living off going fast around a road course just like 99.99999999999999% of the popluation including 6speed.

skipping ears on the upshift is silly and NOT good practice.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 PM
skipping ears on the upshift is silly and NOT good practice.
Why not? If you have some info or data that shows why, it would help all of us understand.

Skipping on upshifting is no more dramatic on the transmission than killing the car in first gear. Nobody is saying do it every time you drive. But doing it, isn't going to kill your tranny.

I don't claim to be anything nor should you with your street car track as a hobby mentality who doesn't have the talent or commitment to make a living off going fast around a road course just like 99.99999999999999% of the popluation including 6speed.
We all know you aren't going to take your pimped out car to the track. Just busting your chops.
Did you get thin skin all of a sudden? I didn't take you for the sensitive type. Geesh.

And don't have to make a living at something to have some understand of it. Clearly that applies to you, as you have input on many topics on this board, but I don't recall you making a living selling/marketing/building anything Porsche (including wheels, tires, body kits, etc. etc.). Maybe you do it on the side.

-td

Last edited by himself; 10-11-2008 at 11:45 PM.