996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Opinions on H&R Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
blown996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
LOL. Should be fine for street use and limited track use, and because you can reuse the stock drop links, you won't have to pony up the extra ~$300 bucks for Tarett drop links. Downside is, if you get addicted to the track, you're going to kick yourself when you re-buy a front sway

Seriously though, my biggest concern is that the HR bar is about the same diameter as the GT3 sway (HR=26mm, GT3=26.7), which might bring your understeer back. From stock, HR is about 60% stiffer (GT3 is about 78% stiffer). Without the adjustability, you might not be able to dial out the understeer. With adjustability, you might be able to run full stiff rear, and full soft front (with adjustable bars) and create a neutral car. But this all depends on what the neutral hole corresponds to. I'll ask a setup guru about this, as I've often wondered myself.

-td
i just set my rear sway bar (h&r) to full stiff and that seemed to take away the understeer. also have my pss9's set 2 clicks stiffer in the back.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM
bjarne996 is infamous around these parts
Can the HR's be used with standard (ROW) suspension? (In order to get rid of understeer)

Old 10-24-2008, 01:49 PM
delirium is infamous around these parts
Im interested in some sway bars as well, sounds like H&R are worth the $. I have PSS9's as well & besides the car being lower, i didnt notice any difference in the ride/handling.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Tom???

Old 10-25-2008, 06:24 PM
every day is infamous around these parts
If your purpose in buying sways is to truly maximize your handling, then you need the adjustable drop links (buy quality ones) and you need to have your car corner balanced. Personally, I would stay with the stock sways until you can afford to do the whole package, which is incredible when set up properly. As mentioned earlier in the thread, if you only do part of it you may end up with handling issues you don't have now. H&R's are fine if you're not going to track the car and don't care about the fixed front bar. Like Redridge mentioned earlier, at least you can adjust the rear 3 ways.

Just my $.02 worth. By the way, been there, done that....

Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 AM
92tsiawd is infamous around these parts
Sway bars transform the car quite a bit, way better handling, I'd say pretty much any aftermarket bar that is stiff than stock will take our bodyroll depending on how stiff they are.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by every day
H&R's are fine if you're not going to track the car...
Why do you think that the HR bars are not track worthy? Please share with the class.

-td

Old 10-27-2008, 10:16 AM
every day is infamous around these parts
I wouldn't say they're not track worthy, but the GT3 sways are better because they have 5 way adjustments front and back. The H&R's are fixed up front and are 3 way adjustable in the back, therefore limiting your ability to "tune" your handling.

For street use the H&R's are fine because you're probably not going to change the settings once you install them, for track use, go with GT3's.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by every day
I wouldn't say they're not track worthy, but the GT3 sways are better because they have 5 way adjustments front and back. The H&R's are fixed up front and are 3 way adjustable in the back, therefore limiting your ability to "tune" your handling.

For street use the H&R's are fine because you're probably not going to change the settings once you install them, for track use, go with GT3's.
So you are saying they are better because of adjustability (or tuning). But I still don't see how that makes the HR less "good" than the GT3 bars for the track. I would assume that you can get your car to neutral with either set of bars, so how much more tuning do you need?

Also, how many times do you really change your settings with the GT3 bars? Once you find neutral, you set it, and forget it. I would guess it's the same with HR.

-td

Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have run the H&R's on my 996TT but when I had my 996C2, I ran the GT3. The GT3 bars work great for the 996C2. The front is 5way adj and the rear is 4way. On the H&R the bar is 2 in the front and 3 in the rear. The GT3 is hollow so saves some considerable weight compared to the solid H&R bar. The only thing is for the GT3 you will need to get the different front sway bar links. Check out the install we did on this 996C2 with Bilstein and GT3 bars featuring the Agency Power links - http://www.vividracing.com/forums/sh...ncy-power.html