996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Opinions on H&R Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
Opinions on H&R Sway Bars

I just got PSS10's installed and am now considering H&R Sways. I have also considered GT3's but am not sure I need the adjustment for a non-tracked DD.

Does anybody have first hand experience with the H&R's or any other aftermarket sways that do not require adjustable drop links?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:45 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
I believe HR sways are adjustable. So are gt3 as well as gmg. I can't recall any aftermarket sway that are not adjustable as most are performance oriented, which favors adjustability. As for adjustable drop links, you might not need them for all sway bars. If you do get them try tarrett or weltmeister. Stay away from AP. Adjustabe links may be required as the stock links are too short. Plus they allow for perfect corner balancing and adjusting preload. (you will probably only need to replace your front links anyway.)

-td

Old 10-13-2008, 06:19 AM
juankimalo is infamous around these partsjuankimalo is infamous around these parts
I don't know anything about H&R, but I can tell you that two friends of mine, upgraded their suspension (C2 and C4) with Bilstein sport, Gemballa springs, and Eibach Racing sway bars.

They had got a good set up job dobe by one of the best Porsche experts in Europe and the result was great. They thought to install H&R sway bars, but the expert advised them to go with Eibach Racing sway bars.

Here you can see the installation:

http://www.pasionporsche.com/newsite...-circuito.html

If you need a translation, just tell me.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
H&R C2 fronts are not adjustable, the C4 fronts are adjustable.... the rears are 3 way adjustable on both models

Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
I've got 'em and love them. While not hollow like the GT3's they were a marked improvement in minimizing roll. You should get adjustable drop-links so you can set them up with zero load.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by himself
I believe HR sways are adjustable. So are gt3 as well as gmg. I can't recall any aftermarket sway that are not adjustable as most are performance oriented, which favors adjustability. As for adjustable drop links, you might not need them for all sway bars. If you do get them try tarrett or weltmeister. Stay away from AP. Adjustabe links may be required as the stock links are too short. Plus they allow for perfect corner balancing and adjusting preload. (you will probably only need to replace your front links anyway.)

-td
Sorry I miss-spoke. I was trying to find a set of bars that did not require an upgrade to adjustable drop links. My understanding is that the H&R's will fit the stock links. Any opinions between the H&R's and the Eibachs?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
blown996 is infamous around these parts
i have pss9's with the h&r sways and am very happy with them. big improvement over stock handling. they do not require new drop links. the rear is 3 way adjustable, fronts only have one setting.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:20 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by erubin
Sorry I miss-spoke. I was trying to find a set of bars that did not require an upgrade to adjustable drop links. My understanding is that the H&R's will fit the stock links. Any opinions between the H&R's and the Eibachs?
Yeah but the stock links would be the weakest point and could very well break.

I know you have to drop some extra dough but I would recommend changing them out at the same time. You have to remember that you want your sways completely unloaded at rest and I have not seen non-adjustable links give you that ability.

Try www.gocpt.com (sponsor)

Ask for Al, he has some really nice links that have done well by me

Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by c2mojo
Yeah but the stock links would be the weakest point and could very well break.

I know you have to drop some extra dough but I would recommend changing them out at the same time. You have to remember that you want your sways completely unloaded at rest and I have not seen non-adjustable links give you that ability.

Try www.gocpt.com (sponsor)

Ask for Al, he has some really nice links that have done well by me
If I am going to drop the coin on new drop links should i get the GT3 bars instead?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
I have the H&Rs and they work great. I do not see the need for new droplinks and swaybars that require droplinksd on a street car, so save the $$$$ IMHO. The H&Rs have enough adjustment.
I also have the PSS9s - you will be very happy with this set up

Old 10-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by YoopsRacing
I have the H&Rs and they work great. I do not see the need for new droplinks and swaybars that require droplinksd on a street car, so save the $$$$ IMHO. The H&Rs have enough adjustment.
I also have the PSS9s - you will be very happy with this set up
Yeah that was my initial thoughts as well. I am trying to decide between the Eibachs and the H&R's.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2008, 10:16 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
FYI, live.com has a 30% off buy it now coupon deal going on. you can get a front H&R sway for $190 shipped or so. I'm thinking HARD on doing the GT3 sway in the rear and H&R in the front (ok Tom, shoot holes in this set up )

Old 10-17-2008, 01:56 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MCM97
FYI, live.com has a 30% off buy it now coupon deal going on. you can get a front H&R sway for $190 shipped or so. I'm thinking HARD on doing the GT3 sway in the rear and H&R in the front (ok Tom, shoot holes in this set up )
LOL. Should be fine for street use and limited track use, and because you can reuse the stock drop links, you won't have to pony up the extra ~$300 bucks for Tarett drop links. Downside is, if you get addicted to the track, you're going to kick yourself when you re-buy a front sway

Seriously though, my biggest concern is that the HR bar is about the same diameter as the GT3 sway (HR=26mm, GT3=26.7), which might bring your understeer back. From stock, HR is about 60% stiffer (GT3 is about 78% stiffer). Without the adjustability, you might not be able to dial out the understeer. With adjustability, you might be able to run full stiff rear, and full soft front (with adjustable bars) and create a neutral car. But this all depends on what the neutral hole corresponds to. I'll ask a setup guru about this, as I've often wondered myself.

-td

Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by MCM97
How do you find this deal at Live.com? Is it with a particular vendor?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on H&R Sway Bars