996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

ghl vs. fabspeed.. which is louder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:46 AM
EB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the roughEB847 is a jewel in the rough
ghl vs. fabspeed.. which is louder?

im now looking for more accross the board sound output than the ghl's i have now (which are very nice btw, just need more now!).

are fabspeeds louder at idle, cruise, wot?

how do the fabspeeds compare to the pse and tubi? (percentage estimate of sound output, not tone)

the service advisor at my dealer just told me the fabspeeds are obnoxiously loud and recently had a customer make it less than 24hrs due to "unbearable" interior noise. from what i have read, they are supposed to be somewhat quieter than the pse/tubi..?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
We have a couple of different options for sound for street cars using our 200 cell cats and maxflow mufflers its a deep throughty sound for guys who want more aggressive sound who choose to go with a muffler delete and or a cat delete pipe I would only use them on a track car seems too loud for the street (this information is not my personal opinion but is based on the customer feedback we recieve)

Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
FVD or After Hours

Old 10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
i just got my fab speed high flow cats and mufflers and i love them!!! at idle its not loud when you punch it thats when it makes noice.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Parts4sale is infamous around these parts
My friend has a fabspeed system on his 996 c2. It sounds beautiful and the right sound for the street in my opinion. It definitely does sound exotic and sporty, but it is not overwhelmingly annoying. I think it is the most volume you would want for an everyday car. I believe he has just the mufflers and tips. Go with Fabspeed!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
I've got GHL on my car. Most of the time I wish it were louder.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:18 AM
mt.albo is infamous around these parts
I have the Afterhours mufflers for sale. I have it for 2 months with about 500 miles only. You will like this. Check the website @ www.afterhoursautomotive.com for sound check and HP gains. PM or email me @ apym67@yahoo.com if interested.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:28 AM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mt.albo
I have the Afterhours mufflers for sale. I have it for 2 months with about 500 miles only. You will like this. Check the website @ www.afterhoursautomotive.com for sound check and HP gains. PM or email me @ apym67@yahoo.com if interested.
Too loud?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM
mt.albo is infamous around these parts
yeah. its a little loud maybe because mine is a targa.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nine9six
Too loud?
+1, they are simply a set of cherry bombs. . . Lots of cab noise, so long as you don't have a GT3 or care about your hearing you should be fine....

Old 10-14-2008, 11:18 PM
nine9six is infamous around these partsnine9six is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
+1, they are simply a set of cherry bombs. . . Lots of cab noise, so long as you don't have a GT3 or care about your hearing you should be fine....
Wow I thought I was the only one who think that those exhuast are two cherry bombs welded together! I have never heard one in person but I would imagine that there will be infinite droaning!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:01 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
I'm curious, how do you know enough about them to offer an opinion on sound level and build quality, good or bad, having never heard them or seen them installed? Explain with your expert mechanical knowledge what specifically a "cherry bomb" is, how it is assembled internally and how it is the same as manufacture of the AH pipes? How exactly will they hurt your hearing in the car? Definitely raising the "talking-out-of-a$$" flag here..

Noise-wise, they are a firm go-between standard mufflers and bypass pipes. Definitely louder inside than stock, pse, agency or fabspeed mufflers I have heard. If you want quieter stick with these.
I had a set of Agencys and loved them, but wanted something louder. Tried bypass pipes and that was just crazy. I couldn't even talk in the car.
The AH's are way quieter inside than bypass pipes by a long shot and to me are "just right" with loud and liveable.
I would guesstimate the AH's are about same noise level inside as sport cats combined some of the louder sport mufflers. Basically, it makes your sports car sound like a sports car, it has a raw edge to it, it's mean. The added performance is very nice and they are a great choice for anyone looking for something meaner than what traditional sport mufflers offer, without costing a lot.

Keep in mind that most aftermarket exhausts will tend to be louder inside a GT3, cab or targa just by design of the car (GT3 has very little insulation), the GT3 will probably be the loudest.

Real-world example since my pcar is my DD: Someone might ask me "hey is that your car" if I am flooring it while on phone with them. If I am just cruising they never hear it and it does not affect my calls at all or normal conversations in the car. The latest vids I posted of my 997 are pretty dead on in regards to sound level.

I don't think the AH guts are different than any other muffler, all mufflers use fiberglass packing with exception of some that use ceramic or steel wadding. The main diff is the AH pipes pass a vented pipe straight through the packing whereas traditional "can" mufflers route the exhaust through a chamber before hitting the exit pipe.
Similar straight-through dual-pipe designs are used by Jubily and M&K, and single pass-through pipe designs are used on sport bikes. From what I understand there is an art to tuning this type of exhaust for the appropriate vehicle, and they are harder to manufacture properly than typical can mufflers- but the results are oftentimes better in regards to performance and weight savings.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 AM
WDC 911 is infamous around these parts
Fabspeeds are louder at idle and cruise I doubt louder at WOT than the GHL's.

Originally Posted by EB847
im now looking for more accross the board sound output than the ghl's i have now (which are very nice btw, just need more now!).

are fabspeeds louder at idle, cruise, wot?

how do the fabspeeds compare to the pse and tubi? (percentage estimate of sound output, not tone)

the service advisor at my dealer just told me the fabspeeds are obnoxiously loud and recently had a customer make it less than 24hrs due to "unbearable" interior noise. from what i have read, they are supposed to be somewhat quieter than the pse/tubi..?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
I would guesstimate the AH's are about same noise level inside as sport cats combined some of the louder sport mufflers. Basically, it makes your sports car sound like a sports car, it has a raw edge to it, it's mean. The added performance is very nice and they are a great choice for anyone looking for something meaner than what traditional sport mufflers offer, without costing a lot.

Are you serious? Dude you've got to be in bed with the designer of this system, you seem to kill everyone who talks against this product in any way... I'd venture to say that you either have a "good or unexplainable" relationship with AH or that you were given a FREE set. Whatever it is try not to hate everyone who puts other products ahaed of yours.

As for me I have the GHL Exhaust and headers which I get comps on all the time.

Try to remember this is an open forum for all to express each one's ideas or opinions.

Good Luck to you and your business ventures.

Take care,

-Eli

10-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Big_O

OK, I finally figured it out. Call me slow . Kurt is the business partner for afterhours LOL. Let me say, this is the first video I've heard that finally sounds like the real thing. Hey, I owned Honda's in the 80's and know what they sound like modded. Lot's of guys enjoy Tubi, AWE, Fabspeed and others, but in every case the online videos didn't sound natural. They sounded tinny, metalic or hollow. Maybe is was the recording equipment. Have no idea. This video sounds great. Will have to hear the pipes in person. This thread is a "gas."
97 BMW 318, 69 Dodge Charger 440.
Toys: 03 HD Fatboy, 70's BSA Chopper.

Last edited by Wheel Dynamics; 10-15-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by nine9six
Wow I thought I was the only one who think that those exhuast are two cherry bombs welded together! I have never heard one in person but I would imagine that there will be infinite droaning!
Like I said, it appears to be a pretty simple design and reminds me of the "Hide-away" version that the early VW bugs were using. Not trying to slam a wrecking ball on anyone but if resonating isn't an issue for you then there are quite a few out there to consider.

I'd better stop now before I get slammed with an other reply from "You know who"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ghl vs. fabspeed.. which is louder?