996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

OEM or aftermarket rotors on 01 996 C2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:06 PM
blown996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
With track use, OEM/Zimmerman rotors will need to be replaced due to cracking long before they reach minimum thickness. A set of OEM rotors lasting 18DE's is indicative of not heating (i.e., using) them enough. Another sign of "under utilization" is that the caliper paint is still white. If you are getting that much use out of the rotors, my guess would be droving on street tires for a lot of those days.

As for me, I probably get 5-6 DEs on a set of OEM/Zimm rotors before they need to be replaced.

Also, Pagid yellow (RS19/29) are not agressive in terms of rotor wear.

-td
you are right, 16 of those days were on street tires. just switched over to mpsc's. like i said, this was my first year doing de's so i wasn't pushing real hard till the last few times out. this is going to be an expensive habit...

Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Okay, Zimmermin rotors are the worst crap on the planet, bar-none. If you just want to upgrade rotors and pads. go with Performance Friction front rotors, PF98 pads, and OEM (from Suncoast) rear rotors with PF98 pads. A very good setup for the track and pretty quiet on the street (relative)

or pony up and get a Stoptech or Brembo 355mm kit, with the setup in the rear as mentioned above.

oh and ss lines with Castrol SRF fluid. again this recommendation is for a track/aggressive street setup

Old 10-23-2008, 06:36 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
C2 - any weight savings with the Performance Friction rotors compared to OE?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
OEMs all the way IMO

Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by c2mojo
Okay, Zimmermin rotors are the worst crap on the planet, bar-none.
Why do you say that? Is there something we should know?

-td

Old 10-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
OEMs all the way IMO
+1... oem rotors, oem sports pad, motul brake fluid, SS lines and RS brake scoop... I love this setup!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:00 PM
PF rotors are lighter, made in conjunction with their pads. Are very well liked in the Koni Challenge Series where you have to use factory calipers. They are dimpled rotors, 48 vane, dissipate heat very well, and don't crack as easily as OEM drilled rotors.

http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/about_pfc.htm

I've run them this past DE season with great success, no visible wear on the rotors, still on the same pads, and am looking forward to getting great use out of them next year.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:45 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
Andy,

Did you upgrade to the Cup brake cooling flaps? I have heard that since these flaps are very effective, the rapid cycles of heat up to cool down may cause "early" cracking. Might be an old wive's tale, but I bought into it

FWIW, over the last year, I ran the stock flaps, stock calipers with RS19/29, and RA-1, MPSC, Yoko Advan 0005 slicks, and Hoo-R6s. I seem to get a little (but not much) longer life than you've seen. [5-6 vs 3-4].

When you switch to slotted, please provide some feedback, as I was on the fence but elected to stick with OEM/Zimm.

-td
I've got the 997 GT3 street ducts on my car which are a little better than the standard 996 ducts. I may get a set of the cup car ducts next season as there were instances where I had more brake temp than I wanted. and I managed to boil fresh Motul 600 a couple of times.

I looked at the PFC product and while I think it's the best on the market, the blanks for the PFC rotors still cost what the DeMann rotors cost so I think I'm gonna try those first.

On the Zimmerman's being junk. They're exactly the OEM rotor only without the corrosion coating on them so they rust and look ugly...but as quick as I go through rotors that wasn't a concern for me. They lasted just as long as my OEM rotors did when used heavily.

As a side note. I saw a 996 at NASA Nationals that was running a pretty unique setup. He was using Cup car ducts on the control arms AND was running tubing up through the trunk area and then out through the fender well down to a custom fabricated backing plate for the rotor. Look'd VERY effective though it would require cutting holes in the car so I'll probably skip. I had a similar setup on my old M3 that worked really well.

Andy

Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mbworldz
hi td,

For just regular daily driving, do you recommend Zimmerman rotors ? my wife has the 2002 C2.
They are fine, especially since Zimmerman is the supplier for Porsche. The big difference is that the Zimmermans are cheaper but not anodized. This means that if they get wet (or if there is moisture in the air) and sit for a day or so, you will see a little rust show up on the rotors. It is not harmful, and is scraped off in less than 10 seconds of braking. But it can be a little ugly.

You can find Zimemrmans for around $110 each for the fronts and $85 each for the rears on Pelicanparts. A full set from them is about $400 plus shipping. You can probably find them cheaper if you hunt around.

As for the Porsche Rotors, you can get them fairly cheap at Suncoast Porsche. Fronts are $280 per set, Rears are $225 per set. [About $100 more than Zimmerman]. You might be able to call Suncoast and get a better deal on the Zimmerman rotors as well.

I have used both on the street and track, and there was no noticeable difference in stopping power or lifespan. IMO, the only difference was the rust that showed up occassionally.

If you are going through rotors on the track, you could save some money by using the cheaper ones. But for looks on a daily driver, the extra $100 is probably worth it.

-td