996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

OEM or aftermarket rotors on 01 996 C2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 AM
GREERJ1 is infamous around these parts
OEM or aftermarket rotors on 01 996 C2

What is the preferred rotor for 3-5 track days per year. If aftermarket, which ones.
James Greer

Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 PM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I've been looking for a set of light weight rotors also. I think brembo makes them, but they seem to only be available as part of their big brake kit.
OE will definitely hold up to the limited track use.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:29 PM
KelvinC is infamous around these parts
One of our board sponsors sells a rotor option for 996s and 997s. I don't know much about it, but from the threads that I've seen from him, he sells them for around $400 a set, and claims (with testing), that his slotted rotors last longer than OEM.

http://www.demanmotorsport.com/news/...tory.php?id=61

Considering the stupid design of the OEM brake rotor hats always rusting, I was going to keep these in mind for my next rotor change. But I'm not sure, as my stock brake setup stops just fine for the track.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:31 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GREERJ1
What is the preferred rotor for 3-5 track days per year. If aftermarket, which ones.
James Greer
OEM are way more than enough for your intended use. In fact, many people continue to use OEM for "full time" DEing. And if you buy Zimmerman direct or from online sources, rather than from Porsche, you will save some money.
[FWIW, OEM will crack and need to be replaced long before they reach minimum thickness.] Luckily, Porsches are great for the track out of the box, and OEM parts will get you through the first 2 or 3 run groups without any real upgrades.

I would suggest upgrading brake pads rather than rotors for double duty (track/daily). Try a pagid RS19/RS29. They have good stopping power, good operating range, and are very easy on rotor wear. Also I think PFC-01 will work, but they are pretty aggressive for street use (and are sqeaky)

-td

Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Upgrade brakes as you do everything else... Are you running stock?

Reason I ask is because if you're putting out an extra pack of HP then you should considera complete brake upgrade...

-Eli

Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM
blown996 is infamous around these parts
i upgraded to the gt3 brakes with pagid yellow pads, big difference from stock, no brake fade. i've done 18 de's this season and am getting cracks on my discs. probably go with slotted discs next time around. for street use stock brakes are more than adequate.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
18 DE's!!! Damn, that is a busy season. Have you measured the rotors? I'd bet they are below spec with that much use and an aggressive pad.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
I'm gonna try the DeMann rotors next season. I put a set of zimmermans on my car this season and with Pagid orange/black combo I managed to crack and slightly warp the Zimmermans within 3 track days. There's still pleanty of life left in them thickness wise and I've probably got another weekend in them before the cracks get to the point where they need replaced but I was a bit disappointed in the longeivity and warping as I'm always very aware of doing a full cooldown lap without using the brakes and not using a parking brake, etc when coming off the track.

Andy

Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by mathism
18 DE's!!! Damn, that is a busy season. Have you measured the rotors? I'd bet they are below spec with that much use and an aggressive pad.
my tech checked them and said they were fine. he said the cracks are'nt a problem till the cracks go from hole to hole. this is my first year doing de's so i probably wasn't pushing real hard till the last few times out.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
how is that 100 cel cats working for you? make?... get any cels triggered because of it?

Originally Posted by blown996
my tech checked them and said they were fine. he said the cracks are'nt a problem till the cracks go from hole to hole. this is my first year doing de's so i probably wasn't pushing real hard till the last few times out.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
how is that 100 cel cats working for you? make?... get any cels triggered because of it?
i actually took them and the headers off. i was getting cells occasionaly, but it seemed like i was losing low end torque. maybe not enough back presure. i heard supercharged 911's need some backpresure to work properly. i'll probably put the headers back on. car seems to be running strong now, although i feel like i may have lost some power at the top end. sounded much better with the 100 cell cats headers...miss the sound.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
did you use fabspeed? FVD? cargraphics?

Originally Posted by blown996
i actually took them and the headers off. i was getting cells occasionaly, but it seemed like i was losing low end torque. maybe not enough back presure. i heard supercharged 911's need some backpresure to work properly. i'll probably put the headers back on. car seems to be running strong now, although i feel like i may have lost some power at the top end. sounded much better with the 100 cell cats headers...miss the sound.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
fabspeed

Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mathism
With track use, OEM/Zimmerman rotors will need to be replaced due to cracking long before they reach minimum thickness. A set of OEM rotors lasting 18DE's is indicative of not heating (i.e., using) them enough. Another sign of "under utilization" is that the caliper paint is still white. If you are getting that much use out of the rotors, my guess would be droving on street tires for a lot of those days.

As for me, I probably get 5-6 DEs on a set of OEM/Zimm rotors before they need to be replaced.

Also, Pagid yellow (RS19/29) are not agressive in terms of rotor wear.

-td

Last edited by himself; 10-22-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I'm gonna try the DeMann rotors next season. I put a set of zimmermans on my car this season and with Pagid orange/black combo I managed to crack and slightly warp the Zimmermans within 3 track days. There's still pleanty of life left in them thickness wise and I've probably got another weekend in them before the cracks get to the point where they need replaced but I was a bit disappointed in the longeivity and warping as I'm always very aware of doing a full cooldown lap without using the brakes and not using a parking brake, etc when coming off the track.

Andy
Andy,

Did you upgrade to the Cup brake cooling flaps? I have heard that since these flaps are very effective, the rapid cycles of heat up to cool down may cause "early" cracking. Might be an old wive's tale, but I bought into it

FWIW, over the last year, I ran the stock flaps, stock calipers with RS19/29, and RA-1, MPSC, Yoko Advan 0005 slicks, and Hoo-R6s. I seem to get a little (but not much) longer life than you've seen. [5-6 vs 3-4].

When you switch to slotted, please provide some feedback, as I was on the fence but elected to stick with OEM/Zimm.

-td

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM or aftermarket rotors on 01 996 C2