996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Carbon Hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Seth Thomas is infamous around these parts
996 Carbon Hood

This is not being posted in the For Sale section because it is mainly a feeler to see who is interested.

Some of you guys might be interested in this. I have contacted the guy that made some of the Porsche Rolex hoods and fenders for the 996 race cars. He has agreed to make some hoods for me. These are top quality carbon parts made of 100% carbon (yes I know ebay ads say the same thing), they weigh in at 9.75 lbs per hood and will come with all the correct hardware mounting points ready to be installed. The fitment of the hood will be just like installing a hood from Porsche. No extra work needed to install properly or anything. This thing is strong too. All the factory cross bracing underneath the hood is retained.

What I am looking for here is to see how many of you guys would be interested in the hood. He has only given me an estimate price at this point.

Pictures are below of the current hood he has made. This one is from the race molds so it has the marks in it for the fuel holes, hood pins, and Porsche emblem. The top finish on this one is race quality but the ones he is going to make for this deal will be street quality.

High Quality pictures

Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM
boblaz is infamous around these parts
I would be interested. Est. Price? Also, will it be cleared? Will it have the fuel opening outlined? THanks

Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
moltenburn is infamous around these parts
Yup what is the est price?

If I pick up a 996 I will be wanting one of these. I am also curious what the going price is.

cheers

Moltenburn

Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
donutbob is infamous around these parts
How much does the factory hood weigh?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 PM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
I like I like. Tell him to make a CF lip for a stock 996 MK2 bumper also...........

Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 PM
valmeida is infamous around these parts
Count me in tell him to make the side mirror housing not covers. I'm interested .

Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 AM
I think the price is going to be $1600 plus shipping on the hood. This hood was finished in a race quality finish since we wanted to judge interest in it before put lots of time into putting a clear on it. The ones shipped won't have a clear on it unless requested but they will come out of the mold with shiny resin that rivals that of hoods with a clear on it. If the hoods are going to be painted a clearcoat is wasted money. If the hoods are going to be left as pure carbon they will need a clear.

What I will do is get the guy to produce another one as they will be shipped to you guys. I will take pictures of the hoods side by side and show you the differences. The fuel opening and the hood pin opening spots will be gone. I can do them with either the emblem holes marked or not marked for the hoods. What do you guys think?

As for mirrors I can probably get some of those made too. I will check to see if he has a mold but if not we will see about getting one made. I will let you know the estimated cost of those too.

Any other bits you guys interested in?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
i would definately be interested in a set of mirror covers thats for sure. im just dithering over picking up some RS ones just now. The wrap around ones dont cut it for me and the OEM ones keep sliding down my purchase list for one reason or another. i see a big gap in the market here and theres nothing in between so long as you can obviously come in cheaper than the OEM housings.

as for the hoods, im keen to see how it comes out. i would imagine emblem holes would be a must for many, the idea of using a sticker from the RS is appealing but at the end of the day the extra dimension of the bolt on emblem is kinda nicer

Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
How much do the RS ones cost? Are they a full carbon housing or just a wrap?

The emblem holes wont' be drilled. That is left up to the individual but they will be marked by small indentions. Doing that allows those that want the RS look with the sticker can do so.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
ah i see, sorry. that is perfect for the hood emblem. nice and easy to use the badge but also simple enough to run with a sticker too.

the rs has a full carbon shell for the mirrors replacing the part that is painted on the regular cars. many alternatives use a carbon wrap over the the standard coded shell which gives you the same look but worries over delamination.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Okay that is what I thought. I will check to see what we can do those for.

Do you know what the RS pieces sell for? What about the carbon wrap pieces?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 PM
bmwm506 is infamous around these parts
Smile carbon fiber hood

Hi, Please attach pics of the final product when molded and finished

Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
Hey BMWM506, what front bumper do you have? Where did you get it?

Thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 AM
bmwm506 is infamous around these parts
It is a Speedart front bumper GT2-style. Bought at www.gmpperformance.com
Thanks