996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

99 Carrera 4 with no 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Porsche_911 is infamous around these parts
Im currently experiencing issues with my 2nd gear but it still works. Is there anything I can do NOW to prevent it from losing it's 2nd gear? Thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
GTEE83 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by etwd
These transmissions are bullet proof.
No, they are not. The second gear synchro issue has been around for a while, and it doesn't take any serious abuse for the problem to rear it's ugly head. Look around enough and you can find all the threads. It is also not just a Turbo-only problem.

I talked to Erik at Carquip, about a year or year or two ago (they had a different name then, and I was Beachside996), but decided to get a remanufactured transmission instead. I ended up trading the car in on my S63 about 4 months ago, and they gave me more than enough over book on it as a trade-in to cover the difference IMO, so I don't regret having replaced it.

If funds are an issue for the OP, and he feels that the motor is okay (no IMS issues - RMS is not a big deal), then a rebuild by Carquip would be a reasonable thing to do, and he could put more money into the car in mods as time goes by. It's not a question of if, but when he mods his car, if he hangs out here any amount of time.

To the OP: I would absolutely not consider driving the car w/o 2nd gear. For you to get into the torque band of a 3.4, you are going to have to rev to redline in normal traffic in 1st gear for you to stay with the flow of traffic in 3rd gear. It would not be fun. Running the engine up to redline in the first three gears is certainly fun when you have the room to do it, but not running the engine to redline in 1st in normal traffic. If you really want the car, buy it, get the tranmission rebuilt, and then you can really enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Im currently experiencing issues with my 2nd gear but it still works. Is there anything I can do NOW to prevent it from losing it's 2nd gear? Thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 PM
GTEE83 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche_911
It's really the synchros that are going, not the gear. Shift into second very carefully, and think of it like shifting into neutral first, then second gear instead of a straight shift from first to second. That is the best way I can explain it.

But if you are experiencing the shifter "popping" out of second gear (You do a normal shift from 1st to 2nd, then the engine revs because it is in neutral, you depress the clutch and go for 2nd again, all while muttering "I know it was in second gear") after you absolutely know that you engaged that gear properly, it will only get worse. I really thought it was me at some point, and then I remembered that I have driven quite a few cars with manual transmissions that this never happened in. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by BeachsideS63
It's really the synchros that are going, not the gear. Shift into second very carefully, and think of it like shifting into neutral first, then second gear instead of a straight shift from first to second. That is the best way I can explain it.

But if you are experiencing the shifter "popping" out of second gear (You do a normal shift from 1st to 2nd, then the engine revs because it is in neutral, you depress the clutch and go for 2nd again, all while muttering "I know it was in second gear") after you absolutely know that you engaged that gear properly, it will only get worse. I really thought it was me at some point, and then I remembered that I have driven quite a few cars with manual transmissions that this never happened in. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
So far the shifter is not "popping" out of secound gear but it's not shifting to second as smooth as before. Plus, it doesn't feel that it's going in to 2nd gear all the way. Is there a chance that I just need to replace or refill my transmission oil or is it the synchros as you mentioned? Im really not sure what are the synchros. Thanks for your response.