996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

99 Carrera 4 with no 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Cosine is infamous around these parts
99 Carrera 4 with no 2nd gear

Hi to all.

I have an opportunity to buy a 99 Carrera 4..

It is a six speed with 110k.

The only issue is that it will not go into second gear..

I was thinking of buying it and just not using second gear. I honestly don't have any intentions of having the problem fixed if I do buy it. I would just drive it the way it is.

Has anyone encountered this before? Would there be any other issues I should worry about if I drive it this way?

It is VERY VERY cheap. Just to cheap to pass up ($12K..)

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 07:46 PM
ls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura about
These cars can be right down cheap to buy but are not to own. Don't let the price fool you
Your example is the extreme of both sides.
Scary...

I'd stay far away or you'll get exactly what you paid for it

Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM
PHIL2 is infamous around these parts
I will give you 12,ooo.01

Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
911&CLS is infamous around these parts
this problem is easy to fix, and you don't have to replace the transmition if you have a mustang.
but with our cars (PORSCHE) I think you had better fix it as soon as you can.
To save you alot of money in the near future.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
No second gear? lol No man thats not a good idea unless you plan on fixing it. A piece of crap is a piece of crap whether its moving or standing still : )

Old 10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Dlack66 is infamous around these parts
Second gear? You don't need no second gear. Plan on getting it fixed. Also If the car was not maintained and it was not. you are bound to find other problems. but 12K would be tempting.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM
yasuro is infamous around these parts
if the body and interior is in good shape, and you can buy the car for $10k. then you can assume you'll have to budget $19k, worst case scenario, for engine and transmission replacement. so your total would be $29k.

you can find a great condition '99 996 for less than that.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Erik @ Carquip is infamous around these parts
For 12K it would seem to be a no brainer. You can get the gearbox completely rebuilt from us here at Carquip for not too much money, $3500 give or take. So given that and the fact that this issue is pretty common to these gearboxes, if there is nothing else wrong, I would say go for it.

Hope that this helps

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-05-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned
etwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really nice
Since when has the '2nd' gear issue been a problem on the C2. The only issue that I know of is the Turbo's 2nd gear 'pop-out'..

Please enlighten us.......

These transmissions are bullet proof. Chances are that the car your looking at has been driven quite hard and the sycro's are gone.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Okay, so here is the deal. We rebuild these gearboxes on a regular basis and it is always the same issue. While this issue is more common in the turbo gearboxes due to more HP and Torque loads, it should not surprise anyone that as these gearboxes use the same 1st and 2nd gear setup, the C2 gearbox has the issue. It is more common in higher mile cars that have not been taken care of as well, but blown shift into second will do the trick just the same.

I will post a pic here in a second and you can all see what I am talking about.

Hope that this helps, and while I am sure that you love your car, it is a pretty far stretch to say that these gearboxes are bullet proof, sorry.

Just trying to help.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
So here are the pics

Here are the pics for your review. I have taken pics of dogring on the gear as well as the slider for 1st and 2nd. I have also take a pic of the G50 2nd gear so that you can see the difference here, and it is pretty big. The rounded off parts are supposed to look like the clean gear also pictured, not rounded off, but pointed. As these parts round off, they create damage to the operating sleeve, as well. Given enough time and damage, as well as a weak detent system, and the gearbox will begin to pop-out, or simply not engage at all.

Hope these pics help to clear up what actually happens when these gearboxes fail.

Attached Images      

Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
It is a little tough to tell here but the teeth on the G96 are substancially smaller then the teeth on the G50 gear, there are more of them, but the actual engagement area is far more shallow.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned
etwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really niceetwd is just really nice
Yes, I do love my car. As for the second gear issue, again, this is news to me. I just got off the phone w/ my 20-year buddy down at Newport Porsche, CA. He's the Service Manager there. He emphatically attests to the fact that these transmissions are bullet proof. Yes, he did acknowledge the 2nd gear turbo 'pop-out' but does not have any knowledge of your suggestions on the 996 C2's or C4's. Again, he has no history on this.

Granted, speed shifting, grinding and such will get you worn sync's, etc., just as any other cars' would, but the fact remains that these gearboxes are bullet proof when driven properly and not as if they were stolen.........

Last edited by etwd; 10-30-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 PM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
the way I see it you have a car that would normally be worth about 18 for sale at 12 because it needs a transmission.... sounds like the right car for somebody who wants to build a track car but a horrible choice for somebody who always wanted a 996 and likes the low price.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Cosine
Hi to all.

The only issue is that it will not go into second gear..

I was thinking of buying it and just not using second gear. I honestly don't have any intentions of having the problem fixed if I do buy it. I would just drive it the way it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 99 Carrera 4 with no 2nd gear