996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Rear Bumper Options for 2000 996

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Doug996InKC is infamous around these partsDoug996InKC is infamous around these parts
Rear Bumper Options for 2000 996

What rear bumper options do we have for the MK1 996? I have a 2000 cab with TechArt front and side skirts, and the lines look pretty good, but I think it would look a lot better with a bumper that is lower to the ground.

http://www.misha911.com/ doesn't offer one (I emailed and received a reply).

The only one I can find on the internet is here: http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=96053 -- rather expensive, no?

My car is below.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Doug996InKC; 11-07-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
The Dark Knight is infamous around these parts
You are the one who bought the car from ebay? That is the car that was owned by the president of Evolution Motorsports(EVOMS) out of Az via Las Vegas? Nice car!!

I run the GT sides. I also have a spare aftermarket P/U Turbo look bumper designed for the 996 NB cars. It is similar to the OEM one and the price new was $1,100; last pic below. The size comparison to a stock 996 Mk1 rear is pictured here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...need-help.html

The one you linked to is a modified OEM Turbo bumper that was done by Speedart; they are definitely pricey They are a little stiffer, but also require more hardware as well to fit. There aren't that many options for a lower rear bumper and rightfully so since it does drag pretty easy coming out of driveways on lowered cars.

TDK

PS. I thought you had a blue or black car?

Attached Images      

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 11-08-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Doug996InKC is infamous around these partsDoug996InKC is infamous around these parts
Hey Dark Knight. Yes, that's Todd's (EVOMS) car. Bought if from a guy in Las Vegas about 3 months ago. With all the mods, how could I pass it up! Plus, the engine was replaced about 16,500 miles ago (he probably took out the super charged engine). I'm pretty fortunate that Imagine Auto is in my back-yard and can handle any problems that may occur with the mods.

I re-read this thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...need-help.html but am still a little confused...

The spare polyurethane bumper you mentioned having DOES have the "slats" like the 4S and Turbo (wide-body) and similiar to the speedART version? And if it is with the slats, the "grills/vents" can be fastened like the pic below? Or the spare is WITHOUT the slats.

Thanks for your help. The photo below is the look I'm going for.

Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I went with an anziano's rear bumper. I like it. Plus it doesn't have the "bumpers".

Old 11-08-2008, 09:51 AM
The aftermarket version does not have the grills/vents like the OEM one you attached above; it uses a hexagonal black screen similar to the Lambo screen. The upper area is definitely more Mk2 oriented near the bumper pads which gives it the correct lines and the bottom is not straight down per the other post, it curves inward to attach correctly near the cats so it doesn't flap.

The yellow one pictured with a full rear shot is OEM and it has the OEM grills. It has not been modified, but it does not fit correctly around the tail light area if you look carefully at the left side of the pic. It also does not have the OEM bumper pads since the connection areas don't line up properly to the best of my knowledge.

If you look at the Speedart ver as well, it does not have the grills/vents. The vents are in the place that gets modified/cut to make it fit correctly.

Bob Anziano makes great looking parts. I have a friend with the Illusion version of his full kit and it's awesome! I think Wicked bought his molds and the use them on their current cars. I saw his version of the 996 bumper. I llike it, but I am not a huge fiberglass bumper fan. The risk is probably greater for fronts vs the rears and less in areas where you don't have to park on the streets ever. Most owners don't damage their cars, others do That being said, it does not have the OEM vents/ grills either. Performace Products and Better Bodies also make fiberglass versions as well; neither with OEM grills.

TDK

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 11-08-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Himself put a "euro" bumper or something like that on his car after he got that love tap. Pretty much the same as a 996 bumper but without the "bumper pads". It's a little change that looks soooo much cleaner. Maybe he can post pics...?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by MCM97
Himself put a "euro" bumper or something like that on his car after he got that love tap. Pretty much the same as a 996 bumper but without the "bumper pads". It's a little change that looks soooo much cleaner. Maybe he can post pics...?
If I'm not mistaken the Euro bumper is shorter not longer. I would have to see a pic to tell for sure. As for the bumper pad area, you can fill/glass them in and repaint them if you want the smooth look. The unfortunate part is if you remove them, then ANY contact with the back of the car will damage the bumper, paint and potentially the decklid.

TDK

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 11-08-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight

Bob Anziano makes great looking parts. I have a friend with the Illusion version of his full kit and it's awesome! I think Wicked bought his molds and the use them on their current cars. I saw his version of the 996 bumper. I llike it, but I am not a huge fiberglass bumper fan. The risk is probably greater for fronts vs the rears and less in areas where you don't have to park on the streets ever. Most owners don't damage their cars, others do That being said, it does not have the OEM vents/ grills either. Performace Products and Better Bodies also make fiberglass versions as well; neither with OEM grills.

TDK
I agree. Not sure I would go with a FG bumper for the front, but I'm okay with it for the rear. I generally don't take the car to Walmart or parallel park it anywhere so I'm not too concerned about getting tapped from the back.

I have black metal mesh behind my vents. It looks really good. Are the OEM turbo bumpers wide open with no mesh behind them?

The anziano rear is about as close to the OEM TT bumper as you can can get. It's my understand they had to add the holes under the license plate to avoid being hammered by Porsche over it. It does have a mold end that runs along the bottom. I like it much better than all the TT knockoffs I've seen. Their vents are genearlly two dimensional, whereas the Anziano has depth pretty much identical to the OEM one.

Here's a shot of mine from the back where you can see the lack of bumperettes and the holes underneath. I actually like the extra holes.

Here's a shot of what most OEM knockoff TT bumpers look like. See how shallow the slats are. Looks like ***....

For comparison you can see how deep the slats are on the anziano piece on my car.

From the shot above, more shallow slats.

Even the C4S piece doesn't look as good as the OEM TT, IMO.

Last edited by deputydog95; 11-08-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I agree. Not sure I would go with a FG bumper for the front, but I'm okay with it for the rear. I generally don't take the car to Walmart or parallel park it anywhere so I'm not too concerned about getting tapped from the back.

I have black metal mesh behind my vents. It looks really good. Are the OEM turbo bumpers wide open with no mesh behind them?

The anziano rear is about as close to the OEM TT bumper as you can can get. It's my understand they had to add the holes under the license plate to avoid being hammered by Porsche over it. It does have a mold end that runs along the bottom. I like it much better than all the TT knockoffs I've seen. Their vents are genearlly two dimensional, whereas the Anziano has depth pretty much identical to the OEM one.

Here's a shot of mine from the back where you can see the lack of bumperettes and the holes underneath. I actually like the extra holes.

For comparison you can see how deep the slats are on the anziano piece on my car.

From the shot above, more shallow slats.
The vents are definitely almost 2X deeper on the Anziano bumper than the Aftermarket versions and definitely deeper than the C4S as well. Being fiberglass, they are definitely firmer than the A/M version as well; the A/M bumpers use polyurethane, but it is a little softer and thicker than the OEM material. I think it is a very good looking bumper. I like the rear middle slats as well. I think they do a better job than OEM of covering the cats. Do they drag coming out of high pitched driveways? My tips drag occasionally and the bumper looks as low as the tips or lower. Bob has great molds! I may have opted for the color matched bumper pads since I am paranoid about doing anything to keep jack asses or haters from "accidentally" dinging the bumper

TDK

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 11-08-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Nope, no dragging. Knock on wood I've had it on the car for a few years now.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Talking

Great feedback guys! I appreciate it.

Now that I see the Anziano's website and bumper on Deputy's car, I'm a big fan. The lower slats that point up to the license plate are cool! And the fact that it hides the exhaust is a big bonus. I agree, the deeper the vents look better, and probably lend themselves to a more rigid overall bumper.

Now I just need to find some extra $$.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 AM
stanm5 is infamous around these parts
Hi Doug,

I have a perfectly fitting (modified) TT rear bumper cover on my
cab.

I may be interested in selling it. Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers,
Stan

Old 11-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by stanm5
Hi Doug,

I have a perfectly fitting (modified) TT rear bumper cover on my
cab.
If you don't mind modding your exhaust, that is your best bet.

Was it cut in half, shorted, and then put back together?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
stanm5 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
If you don't mind modding your exhaust, that is your best bet.

Was it cut in half, shorted, and then put back together?

No need to mod the exhaust; all you need is C4S relocation pipes ($50).

The bumper was modified at the arches. You would never know it wasn't made to fit.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:51 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stanm5
No need to mod the exhaust; all you need is C4S relocation pipes ($50).

The bumper was modified at the arches. You would never know it wasn't made to fit.

stanm5,

are the diameter of the relocation pipes the same as the C2? can you swap the chrome tips off the tips C2? Where can you buy the entension pipes?

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Options for 2000 996