996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

02 Carrera or C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Irksome is infamous around these parts
Minor correction to earlier response: there is no such thing as a 996 C2S. If there were, I would have bought one. The 997 has a C2S, but the 996 generation got screwed.

C2 is the best performance, the purist driving experience. It's the lightest and tops all the performance numbers until you get to wet or icy conditions.

C4S is wide-body, which is sexy. Aesthetically it rocks. It is also the choice if you need to deal with bad weather, or want to track it in wet conditions.

Drive them both, figure out what you like and why, then buy it.

I went C2, and I'm very happy. If I were to do it again, I would buy a C2 with factory aero kit.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM
delirium is infamous around these parts
my only advice is to get PASM!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by delirium
my only advice is to get PASM!
PASM is not available on the 996.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
If you're really going to wait around for a 997, think about a 996TT. IMHO if you want the wide body the 4S is worth skipping and going straight for the turbo, so much more bang for your buck...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 AM
bamaPepper is infamous around these parts
Again, all good points. I think I'm going to wait until after the first of the year to pull the trigger. I want to get as much car for my buck and with the market staying soft for a few more months might help getting a C4S or perhaps a TT. Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Mine is still FS...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Roc, I haven't forgotten about yours. I have to admit my 911 "obsession" as my wife has called it lately is getting in the way of this weeks holiday plans.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bamaPepper
Roc, I haven't forgotten about yours. I have to admit my 911 "obsession" as my wife has called it lately is getting in the way of this weeks holiday plans.

I hear 'ya...LOL

Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM
VTBigYellow is infamous around these parts
Actually considering putting my '02 C2 up for sale too...

Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
+1.

I drove both and decided on a C2 because in my opinion it had a little more "oomph" due to less weight and the steering felt a little purer.

The C4S has a very different feel to it, and the back end on that beast is arguably one of the best looking business ends ever.

All that aside, I liked the way the C2 drove for my nickel, and inclement weather in Dallas is a non-factor so the utilitarian advantage is null.

Drive them both, and let us know what your impressions were.

Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
As Ben said drive both, they do drive more differently than many people realize.

At the risk of being flamed I'd say buy the C4S if you are interested in looks, and the C2 if you are interested in perfomance (flamesuit on).

Furthermore, for virtually the same money you can choose between a C4S or and '03 40th anniversary model (that came with the X51 standard as well as many other options).

The C4S looks nice, but the 40th anniversary would be a hands down winner for me.

http://cars.ign.com/articles/432/432700p1.html

Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I initially started this search with a Carrera in mind but the rear end of the C4S is so appealing. I'm going to drive them both like you've suggested and feel which one I like the best.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bamaPepper
I initially started this search with a Carrera in mind but the rear end of the C4S is so appealing. I'm going to drive them both like you've suggested and feel which one I like the best.
Good solution. You have to live with the choice, so it's best for you to see/feel for yourself.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts

Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
PHIL2 is infamous around these parts
^Nice wing...more pics?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Unless you're already counting 1/100's of a second per pound, in lost lap time, the performance difference between a *base* C2 and a C4S is not something to worry about. Most of the weight difference comes from standard luxury options. Only about 25% of the weight difference between the C2 and C4S is due to AWD. Another small portion comes comes the 4S's large wheels and brake rotors. The rest is all cushy stuff that comes standard on the 4S, and is optional on the C2. A well equipped C2 will have much of that weight too - leaving you the "performance" parts in weight on the 4S. The 4S also has a sport suspension, which a C2 does not - by default. The weight of the AWD, big wheels and big brake rotors can be a handicap, but only if you don't use the grip they offer to your advantage.

Numbers aside, I haven't yet come across a C2 on track that I haven't passed. =)

Also, the US recommend alignment specs for all 911s have them set to under-steer a lot. When you align one properly, it's a whole different story.

Something to look at:

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 02 Carrera or C4S