996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

986 Boxster S or 996 for a track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:02 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
986 Boxster S or 996 for a track car?

I am looking into a few different lower cost track cars t replace my 997S which is going to be my daily driver and be retired from the track... I am looking into spec Miatas which are suppose to be great track cars and are by far the cheapest of the ones I am looking at... The next one is a 986 Boxster or Boxster S and when I was at the Porsche dealer to look at one that they traded in he said he may be getting a '00 996 with like 65k miles for a pretty good price, so is it worth it to spend a little more and get the 996 or should I stick with the cheaper Boxster? Whichever one I get will need to get a harness bar, harnesses, seat, coilovers, maybe sway bars etc....

Old 12-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
S2000

Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
I am looking into a few different lower cost track cars t replace my 997S which is going to be my daily driver and be retired from the track... I am looking into spec Miatas which are suppose to be great track cars and are by far the cheapest of the ones I am looking at... The next one is a 986 Boxster or Boxster S and when I was at the Porsche dealer to look at one that they traded in he said he may be getting a '00 996 with like 65k miles for a pretty good price, so is it worth it to spend a little more and get the 996 or should I stick with the cheaper Boxster? Whichever one I get will need to get a harness bar, harnesses, seat, coilovers, maybe sway bars etc....
Just for DE's or for club racing?

-td

Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Currently I do the short track series when I can with the POC and I will probably still do it if I get another Porsche, if I don't I'm not sure what the rules are on bringing no P cars to the events even though I see them every time I go... So it will be a combo of DE's and POC short track events and maybe time trials?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
Currently I do the short track series when I can with the POC and I will probably still do it if I get another Porsche, if I don't I'm not sure what the rules are on bringing no P cars to the events even though I see them every time I go... So it will be a combo of DE's and POC short track events and maybe time trials?
If you are not going to compete in a wheel to wheel spec class, and just want to have "fun" you can make due with a 996. They are capable DE cars. And with a little TLC (regular maintenance), they are more dependable than people give them credit for.

If you think you might get into a spec series, you should first verify the competition in a particular class where you live. Down here, there are very few 996 spec cars, but a load of spec Boxsters. Some places have more Class E racers, than Class H, etc.

As far as upgrading the car, you will probably have better luck finding a used 996 with substantial upgrades. The benefit here is that you can get the upgraded parts for pennies on the dollar. This is in sharp contrast to the retail price you will pay for parts and labor to upgrade.

As for the cars you are contemplating, you can get non-pristine cars for track purposes relatively cheap. For example, you can get an older 986 for around $10K (I've seen some with around 100K miles for under 10). A 1st gen 996 for around 20-25K. (I've seen some with ~75K miles for $22K). I haven't kept up with Boxster S vehicles, but I would bet you could get a track car for aroudn $15K. As you know, you start to pay more for fewer miles and newer vehicles.

If I was in your shoes, my money would be on a cheap base model Boxster. Driven at the limit, you get the same smile factor for much less money. That is, driving a slow car fast is just as much fun as driving a fast car fast.

My $0.02. Probably worth much less.

-td

Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
Boxster doesn't sound right for a track car. I don't think they pull well performance compare to 997 or 996.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Linko4
Boxster doesn't sound right for a track car. I don't think they pull well performance compare to 997 or 996.
You can't really compare a Boxster to a 996 or 997. It's like saying a 996 doesn't compare to a Viper ACR. Apples and oranges.

Each car will have a maximum performance level. Being able to utilize all of that is the object. Whether you drive a Miata, Mini, 911, Ferrari 430, a F1 car, etc., you still have to drive the car to its potential.

Boxsters are quite capable track cars. So much so that they have an entire spec racing series based on them. (But you don't see Boxsters competing directly against 996 or 997 cup cars.) And, for the money, getting more HP just means you are going faster. Not that you are driving better.

-td

Old 12-16-2008, 11:03 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
What's to say that hasn't already been stated in this thread other than the fact that I'd be pretty willing to bet that a 986S is actually very comparable to a 996 if similarly setup. Yes there's a HP advantage to the 996 but there's a weight advantage on the 986, it's cheaper to build and the motor is in the right place. A good friend of mine just bought a 50K mile 01 Boxster S for $16,000 last week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to get rid of my 996 anytime soon but if I wanted a track only car I'd actually go with the Miata first as you can always guarantee no matter where you're running there will be pleanty of competition to run agianst and it's the cheapest of the lot.

Then the Boxster,

Then 996 last....after the C5 Z06 which you left out

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
somewhat of an aside but... the boxster S at full song sounds better than the 911 because you hear that n/a intake/exhaust/whirring noise right behind your head. it's intoxicating...

with that said, my evoms engine has a much louder howl at wot 5.5K+ rpm

i wouldn't ever buy a boxster but i do appreciate them just as i appreciate the cayenne and amg cars etc.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by himself
You can't really compare a Boxster to a 996 or 997. It's like saying a 996 doesn't compare to a Viper ACR. Apples and oranges.

Each car will have a maximum performance level. Being able to utilize all of that is the object. Whether you drive a Miata, Mini, 911, Ferrari 430, a F1 car, etc., you still have to drive the car to its potential.

Boxsters are quite capable track cars. So much so that they have an entire spec racing series based on them. (But you don't see Boxsters competing directly against 996 or 997 cup cars.) And, for the money, getting more HP just means you are going faster. Not that you are driving better.

-td
I have never seen a boxster on a track. I mostly seen other porsche.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Jeph is infamous around these partsJeph is infamous around these parts
Have you ever wrung out a Boxster on a track? Give it a try. My cousin is doing the whole Miata Spec thing, and that seems quite competitive. I find myself agreeing what "himself" said.

Shameless plug:
But if you want a highly maintained Boxster, PM me (and note my signature).

Old 12-17-2008, 07:38 AM
nsaigh is infamous around these parts
Another thing to consider is whether your local track event organizers allow convertibles at their events. In my experience; some do, some don't, and some require a hardtop.

Just food for thought.

-N

Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Having owned both, I would track a boxster s over a 996.

I would track a lotus elise over both.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 PM
bjarne996 is infamous around these parts
The Boxster might not be faster on the track, even with similar power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVM7KooYUA

-happy 996 owner

Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by bjarne996
The Boxster might not be faster on the track, even with similar power.
Might just be the tires... Or the conditions, or the setup, or the gas in the car. Or the 911 might simply be faster.

But even if the 911 is faster, speed is not really the deciding criteria for what car you want for DE/Track use. That is, you can get the same smile factor driving a "slower" miata around as a Ferrari 360 Challenge.

Again, this goes back to how much do you really want to spend to go around a track. Nobody here is going to make a living at it, so what price point makes the most sense.

-td

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 986 Boxster S or 996 for a track car?