996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Who's running aftermarket cats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years / 24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years / 80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
Good stuff. I asked a mechanic about that and was told that the higher EGT's, air flow, and richer fuel mixture under WOT from the SC may give them reason to tell me to pound sand. It's worth a shot though. I'll call the dealer on Monday and see what they say. Thanks for posting.

As an update, my shop, after speaking with NGK, decided to install the copper Vpower plugs. They agreed on not using the platinum. However, they used the ones that were slightly cooler than stock plugs (#7 if I'm not mistaken). I think they were only $5 each which wasn't too bad. I asked about shortening the gap and they didn't want to do it. They would have done it if I was adamant, but since they're taking some of the responsibility for selecting and installing the parts, they decided to leave it be and I didn't want to push it.

On a side note, they said my plugs gave them in the impression that I was running a little lean. Which I thought was strange as under WOT, I see mid 10's and at idle and cruise I generally see 14 to 14.2. Which I know 14 is a little lean, but it was my understanding that that is the way Porsche sets them up to run at cruise and idle. Then again, I'm certainly idling and cruising way more than running full boost. The car is running smoother since the new plugs. I guess I hadn't noticed since the car probably slowly started to degrade with the old plugs and it was too gradual.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 AM
blown996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Where are you at in Boston? I went to NU and lived there for 5 years. I loved it there. I grew up in RI. I miss the place, but not the weather

What's up with the cats? Why are you dumping them? Are they in good shape, etc etc?

Andrew
hey andrew, i live dowtown by the commons. i drive by nu every day on the way to work. great city, but you're right about the weather, we are in the middle of a snow storm right now! i took the cats off because my car was not running right. we thought the the low cell cats may have been part of the problem. turned out not to be the problem. debating putting them back on or could use the money towards new rotors, pads and a set of rims for my track tires. did about 20 de's this season, alot of stuff wore out! a couple of things i did notice is that the car was stronger on the top end with the low cell cats. i've been told that you lose low end torque with the low cell, but i cant say for sure. i miss the sound though.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:17 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Good stuff. I asked a mechanic about that and was told that the higher EGT's, air flow, and richer fuel mixture under WOT from the SC may give them reason to tell me to pound sand. It's worth a shot though. I'll call the dealer on Monday and see what they say. Thanks for posting.

As an update, my shop, after speaking with NGK, decided to install the copper Vpower plugs. They agreed on not using the platinum. However, they used the ones that were slightly cooler than stock plugs (#7 if I'm not mistaken). I think they were only $5 each which wasn't too bad. I asked about shortening the gap and they didn't want to do it. They would have done it if I was adamant, but since they're taking some of the responsibility for selecting and installing the parts, they decided to leave it be and I didn't want to push it.

On a side note, they said my plugs gave them in the impression that I was running a little lean. Which I thought was strange as under WOT, I see mid 10's and at idle and cruise I generally see 14 to 14.2. Which I know 14 is a little lean, but it was my understanding that that is the way Porsche sets them up to run at cruise and idle. Then again, I'm certainly idling and cruising way more than running full boost. The car is running smoother since the new plugs. I guess I hadn't noticed since the car probably slowly started to degrade with the old plugs and it was too gradual.
All engine parametrers effecting the CATs are within factory specs....otherwise, you would have a CEL. Tell them to honor the warranty or to give, in writing, an explaination of what caused the premature failure.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
anyone got any vids aftermarket cats + pse? i wouldn't mind having the car be a bit louder.
Ben, check youtube, there is a white 997S with PSE and 200 cell cats on there. The sound is a little raspy for my liking, its hard to judge this setup by a video clip made in a garage.

I have been thinking about sport cats with the PSE as well, would like the same pure sound, just a little more pronounced.

Cheers, David

Old 12-20-2008, 02:09 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
All engine parametrers effecting the CATs are within factory specs....otherwise, you would have a CEL. Tell them to honor the warranty or to give, in writing, an explaination of what caused the premature failure.
I do have a CEL. It was P0420.

I will go by there tomorrow. If I can save myself some cash, that would be great. It's definitely the cats causing the rattling. I put my muffler bypasses on today and it still rattles.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:25 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
I do have a CEL. It was P0420.

I will go by there tomorrow. If I can save myself some cash, that would be great. It's definitely the cats causing the rattling. I put my muffler bypasses on today and it still rattles.

I ment you would have a CEL because of fuel enrichment, etc.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
stock cats are ceramics, totally different than the aftermarket cats....

Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years / 24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years / 80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
As usual, 1999 comes through again! I have a new pair of cats coming and should be here tomorrow. Courtesy of Porsche at no charge My car threw CELS for both the left and right cats so they're doing both.

Thanks 1999. I owed you a beer, or 12.... You just saved me $1500.

Last edited by deputydog95; 12-23-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Now, convince your dealer to swap the OE's for an aftermarket set of your choice....

Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
As usual, 1999 comes through again! I have a new pair of cats coming and should be here tomorrow. Courtesy of Porsche at no charge My car through CELS for both the left and right cats so they're doing both.

hey andrew, who are swaping them out for you? the dealer or your mechanic?

i dunno about burning through them but they keep on rattling on me so i keep on replacing them... one of them needs changing again and i think i'm going to give you a call to see how you handled getting new cats through the dealer

Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 AM
As usual, 1999 comes through again! I have a new pair of cats coming and should be here tomorrow. Courtesy of Porsche at no charge My car through CELS for both the left and right cats so they're doing both.

Glad it worked out for you.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by mathism
Now, convince your dealer to swap the OE's for an aftermarket set of your choice....
I know better than to push my luck on this one

Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
hey andrew, who are swaping them out for you? the dealer or your mechanic?

i dunno about burning through them but they keep on rattling on me so i keep on replacing them... one of them needs changing again and i think i'm going to give you a call to see how you handled getting new cats through the dealer
The dealer is doing it. The only thing extra I'll have to pay for is the sensor bung on the cats for my wideband 02 sensor. I had it installed on the stock cats (in front of them) to keep my headers clean.