996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Parking brake release button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM
TWI
TWI has a spectacular aura aboutTWI has a spectacular aura about
Parking brake release button

Anyone have a problem with the parking brake release button "releasing" itself from the handle?

When I pull up the handle to engage the parking brake, the button will eject from the handle unless I keep my thumb on it when pulling it up. The easy solution will be to keep my thumb over it every time I engage, however I am looking for a more permanent solution. Before I start taking things apart, I figured I would see if anyone else has a good solution at hand.

Tal

Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 PM
BMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really nice
My button gets stuck "in" sumtimes and i end up tryna pull the button up with my nails in order for my E-brake to actually work.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Irksome is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tal Isbell
Anyone have a problem with the parking brake release button "releasing" itself from the handle?

When I pull up the handle to engage the parking brake, the button will eject from the handle unless I keep my thumb on it when pulling it up. The easy solution will be to keep my thumb over it every time I engage, however I am looking for a more permanent solution. Before I start taking things apart, I figured I would see if anyone else has a good solution at hand.

Tal
I have this exact problem. The first couple times it happened I had to search for where the little bugger went to hide. Now I never take my thumb off the button when using the parking brake. Hopefully someone has a good solution!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
yeah I lost my button a couple times as well. But as above said I just keep my thumb on it all the time.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
I just went out and took a look at my hand brake button. I twisted it a bit, and was able to pull it off. The base of the button has a small notch in it. When the notch is pointing directly down in the 6 o'clock position, I can take it off easily. I can twist the button just a bit (about the 6:30 to 7:00 position) when it is in place, and then I can't pull it off. But now that I've messed with the button, it doesn't seem as secure as it did before!

I guess that serves me right for not leaving well enough alone!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM
TWI
My button has the notch in it, but it will not twist. Guess I am going to get handy with keeping my thumb on the button when I pull up the lever.

Those that are having the problem like I am, do you have the sliver trim on the brake handle or is yours the standard black?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 AM
TWI
OK - I had to valet park the car and the valet returned it to me sans my parking brake button. Other than never using a valet, which would be my preferred solution, I need to figure out the problem with the button.

Any chance anyone has a link to a picture of an "intact" button so I can figure out if there is some kind of damage to my "notch" that I could build up to keep it in the handle?

Funny how two minor problems (my storage lid near the window buttons takes four or five attempts to get it to close) can drive you nuts.

Thanks.

Tal

Old 04-14-2009, 07:29 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
same here. replaced entire unit. there are some for sale 'reasonably' priced.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 AM
TWI
A post on another board regarding a temporary solution using two sided tape got me thinking so I gave the remaining internal part of the handbrake a good look with a flashlight to see how the button would attach with an adhesive. The remaining part is best described as looking somewhat like an I Beam. So I pulled out some two part epoxy putty (technically EP400 from Home Depot) and kneaded up an amount about the size of two pencil erasers and placed it in the tip of the button then rolled up a real small "string" of it and put in the notch on the bottom of the button.

While I do no know exactly how much adhesive is needed, the consistency of the epoxy putty allowed me to get comfortable that unless I put too much in there, it would not leak (or squeeze) out of the button and adhere something I wanted to move freely.

I let it cure overnight and this morning the button feels firmly attached. I am not going to do something silly like pull on it to see if it will come off, but my test of a quick pull on the handbrake without "covering" the button with my thumb resulted in the button staying in place rather than it popping off as it did before, so I feel pretty good about the solution.

I kept thinking that there was some notch or interference fit that would solve the problem. Did not think about the simple solution.

Hopefully this will help you Alpha. Last thing I wanted was for someone to break something trying to help me figure out my problem.

Tal

PS -the anonymous troll who took the time to flag my post as redundant yet was unwilling to take the time to offer a solution - thanks so much!

Last edited by TWI; 04-15-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Last sentence was a little harsh. Fun to type, but harsh.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tal Isbell
Hopefully this will help you Alpha. Last thing I wanted was for someone to break something trying to help me figure out my problem.
Tal --Thanks for the follow-up. The next time my button pops off, I will have to do your epoxy putty solution.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 PM
gsxr1074 is infamous around these parts
I lost my button at the dealership.. Can I order a replacement??