996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

aftermarket exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 2002 carrera 6 speed and the muffler mod is for the 3.6 with accordion
I will close the resonator on the airbox to increase the howl of the car.
joel

Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TexasChuck
John, my exhaust does have the accordion. It is my understanding that the later '02 exhaust can have the modification like PSE (tube running from muffler case to exhaust outlet). Pressure allows bypass of some of the muffler internals. The Stage II that Darin was going to sell me was a direct connection between the inlet and outlet tubes outside the muffler case.

Yes I am considering sending my stock mufflers to Darin. I am also considering doing the job myself. I have a mig welder and just need to get the right gas and wire to weld stainless steel. I think Darin does it with a TIG which provides a nicer weld but both will give the same result.
Chuck, have you modded your stock mufflers yet? I'm very curious to find out if you have any vibration issues (while stopped and in gear) once the mod is done. I'm getting close to going back to Darin to mod my existing mufflers (w/accordion).

Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 AM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
No John I still haven't done it yet. I am contemplating doing the work myself. That way if it does have some drone I would just pull it off and patch it back.

My understanding is that Darin is very accommodating. If you don't like the results he would send a non-modded one back in it's place? I have heard nothing but good about his work but as you noted the Tiptronic may respond a little different.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
ruffy is infamous around these parts
Hi! I have the modded muffler from 02 996. I would be interested in trading the muffler with your afterhours muffler with some cash for you.

Just a thought,
ruffy

Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
Hey Ruffy,

What design is your muffler (i.e. do you know the part number or what version it was)? I have a tiptronic and they are different than some of the manual cars. There is a belows on the intake pipe of my muffler. keeps the car from vibrating when the automatic is at a stoplight. Which version of the mod do you have? Why do you not like it? Looking for more sound?

What part of Arkansas are you in? South of Fort Worth here.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TexasChuck
Hey Ruffy,

What design is your muffler (i.e. do you know the part number or what version it was)? I have a tiptronic and they are different than some of the manual cars. There is a belows on the intake pipe of my muffler. keeps the car from vibrating when the automatic is at a stoplight. Which version of the mod do you have? Why do you not like it? Looking for more sound?

What part of Arkansas are you in? South of Fort Worth here.
Chuck, the 02+ mufflers should all have the accordion design to prevent vibration. I made an appointment with Darin to mod my stock 3.4 cans this week.

Ruffy, if Chuck passes on your offer for the trade, do you want to sell your 02 3.6 modded mufflers? If so, how much $?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 PM
ruffy is infamous around these parts
i have moved to merced, california now.

yeah, i have the 02 996 cabriolet and i'm trying to lighten my car that's why i'm interested with the afterhours muffler. the type of modification that was done with the mufflers was the type II where a 2 1/2 inches of bent tube was attached from the corner to the outlet muffler. they say that it sound like pse but i can't verify that because i don't have experience with pse but the sound is a bit louder and aggressive with the modification.

norcal if you are interested, just email me at rrefendor@yahoo.com

Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Ruffy, e-mail sent.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
djhill is infamous around these parts
Darin is a great guy and does awsome work at a fair price. I had him do the bypass pipe on my mufflers and loved it. But after a while I wanted a little more sound. So I installed a set of fab speeds and love the sound no drone at all.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
I have Fabspeeds on my car. Are fabspeeds louder than Darin's muffler hack?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by chsu74
I have Fabspeeds on my car. Are fabspeeds louder than Darin's muffler hack?
I had Fabspeed on my 99 C2 and Darin's modded 3.4 cans on my 01 C2. Fabspeeds are definitely louder than modded 3.4 cans. I've heard that modded 3.6 cars are louder than 3.4 ones. I just purchased a set of 3.6 cans and will have Darin mod those shortly. Will provide some feedback once modded 3.6 cans are on the car.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:17 PM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
Thanks John. Would love to know if fabspeeds (or any aftermarket mufflers) are louder than 3.6 Darin Muffler hack as well.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by chsu74
Thanks John. Would love to know if fabspeeds (or any aftermarket mufflers) are louder than 3.6 Darin Muffler hack as well.
Are you looking for louder or less loud? I absolutely loved the sound of my old Fabspeeds except there was some drone at low cruising RPMs. Darin's modded mufflers have no drone whatsoever.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
djhill is infamous around these parts
I had a set of 3.6 cans with Darin's mod. This is a great mod especially for the price. The fab speeds have a deeper throater sound and are a little louder.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:28 AM
FisterD is infamous around these partsFisterD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djhill
I had a set of 3.6 cans with Darin's mod. This is a great mod especially for the price. The fab speeds have a deeper throater sound and are a little louder.
DJHill, you have my Stage I modification. it is a somewhat mild mod. I don't hardly do any of those anymore. Stage II is the most popular and it is louder and more aggressive sounding then Stage I. Still no resonance, just an issue with vibration on the tiptronic. I will hopefully figure out if it is just the accordian pipe issue or not. I have done tips before and have not seen any issues until John's car, but the mufflers we used on his car were the the ones off of his '99 6 speed (no accordian pipe), and when installed on his tip, caused a funky vibration when sitting in gear with your foot on the brake. once moving it went away. I am thinking the accordian pipe will isolate the vibration. I will be testing this very soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aftermarket exhaust drone