996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

aftermarket exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 AM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FisterD
DJHill, you have my Stage I modification. it is a somewhat mild mod. I don't hardly do any of those anymore. Stage II is the most popular and it is louder and more aggressive sounding then Stage I. Still no resonance, just an issue with vibration on the tiptronic. I will hopefully figure out if it is just the accordian pipe issue or not. I have done tips before and have not seen any issues until John's car, but the mufflers we used on his car were the the ones off of his '99 6 speed (no accordian pipe), and when installed on his tip, caused a funky vibration when sitting in gear with your foot on the brake. once moving it went away. I am thinking the accordian pipe will isolate the vibration. I will be testing this very soon.
Darin, I'm betting that it's the 'accordion'. My 3.6 cans are due to arrive my home next week. Will schedule an appointment with you as soon as I receive them. I'm very excited to see/hear the outcome.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:50 AM
FisterD is infamous around these partsFisterD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by John in Norcal
Darin, I'm betting that it's the 'accordion'. My 3.6 cans are due to arrive my home next week. Will schedule an appointment with you as soon as I receive them. I'm very excited to see/hear the outcome.
Me too. I really want to get to the bottom of this, and get your car sounding good again! I just sent a set of Stage IIs to LA for a tip/cab with the 3.6 cans. We went with a smaller pipe (1 1/4") because he was concerned with it being too loud. I should get some feedback from him soon.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 AM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
Any tip mufflers

Daring,
You were going to e-mail and let me know if you got some tip mufflers in, did you?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Steve Germany is infamous around these parts
My AH only lasted weeks for me. Too much drone for these old ears. The CD holder even buzzed at normal cruise - 75mph. There was a performance increase but it was not worth it to me.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
vick57 is infamous around these parts
i've been running fabspeed mufflers on my car for almost a year. they are pretty loud. the burn in period was maybe three months. over that period they got progressively louder. no drone whatsoever. cabin is quiet enough for cell phone with windows up. with windows down it's pretty sweet. i still find myself blowing through underpasses to hear it wail up above 5000 rpms.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:41 PM
FisterD is infamous around these partsFisterD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TexasChuck
Daring,
You were going to e-mail and let me know if you got some tip mufflers in, did you?
Chuck, you are correct. I am waiting for a set, they just haven't gotten to me yet. Should be very soon.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Breakthru is infamous around these parts
Noob question alert!

My 996 has bypass pipes installed from the previous owner. If i were to get an exhaust system, say a fabspeed, would this be an addition mod to the pipes, or a replacement?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 PM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
The bypass pipes would be replaced by the exhaust muffler.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Breakthru is infamous around these parts
Thanks. Is there a signficant difference in performance between the two? Or is sound the biggest difference? Because right now i love the sound of it!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:39 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Sound is the biggest difference, bypass pipes add more horsepower up top, but from expereince you lose some torque down low that I noticed when launching from red lights.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 PM
smooth_operator is infamous around these parts
europipe the best

Old 01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
desmo21 is infamous around these parts
Fister mod completed. It is just what I wanted. Great sound over 3500 RPM, silent on the highway!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
I just did the Fister mod on a set of 3.6 cans for my 2001 C2. I'm very satisfied with the result. Big improvement in sound over stock when you get on the throttle but no drone/resonance whotsoever at any RPM/speed. Quiet as stock when cruising. It's not quite as loud as say a Fabspeed so for those looking for a super loud exhaust this may not be it.

Thanks Darin for making my car more enjoyable to drive. This is a great mod for the price. For those considering to do the mod themselves, just go to Darin and have him do it. He's a professional metal fabricator. His work is very clean, just like his shop. On top of that, Darin's great guy.

Note to Tiptronic owners: Make sure when you modify your mufflers to find a set with the accordion inlet. Darin did a set for me at first without the 'accordion' and there was vibration when my Tip car was stopped at a light. Now with the 3.6 cans (w/accordion) the vibration is non-existent.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Darin got a set in for my Tip but I want to sell the Afterhours exhaust I bought first. Anyone interested in buying my Afterhours exhaust????

http://www.afterhoursautomotive.com/

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM
perucho is a jewel in the roughperucho is a jewel in the roughperucho is a jewel in the rough
I have Darin's stage II mod on my 03 C4S and it sounds great! Huge improvement over stock but still no drone and quite on the freeway. I agree that if you are thinking about doing this yourself, just have him do it. Great guy and for the work quality you can't beat the price.

Oscar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aftermarket exhaust drone