996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 C2 conversion to GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Base car, in good shape, with low miles: $30K. You could probably get a donor MY99-01 with mid/high miles for ~$25. Let's use this since we're skimping.

Originally Posted by SealGrey986
If we talk only about the cars and parts and forget prices and what is smart to do... What actually makes the GT3 so much better car? If Carrera suspension is upgraded (coilovers, monoball bearings, top mounts, handling arms, sway bars, control arms...) I think the biggest difference would anymore be mounting points?
All suspension bits and installation: ~$5K+, but we'll use 5K since we're being frugal. We still won't have the GT3 stiffer chassis, but that's ok. A top notch upgrade would be substantially more.

We're now at $30K.
Power: Carrera 300hp vs GT3 360hp but Carrera can be quit easily upgraded to about 420hp with supercharger. Of course its very expensive but supercharged 420hp carrera would definetily be faster than 360hp GT3.
Depending on supercharger, you're looking at $8-20K. We'll say ~$10K installed for TPC or VF (25K for Ruf). We'll use $10K since it's cheaper.
And you'll probably want headers, exhaust, cats, intake as well.
Headers + exhaust + cats + intake = $4K-5K (let's say $4K).
So power mods are 14K.

We're now at $44K.

Brakes, aerodynamic etc. can be upgraded to or even over the GT3 level.
Brembo big brake kit, ~$3K for the front, and ~$2.5K for the rear. So here's another $5.5K. If you have to buy the full aerokit and paint it, you'll be out another $2.5K. Altogether, another $8K.

We're now at $52K

Weight: stock weight is almost same but there are more possible weight savings in Carrera than GT3 for small money.
We'll say the diet is free.

Did I forget some thing?
Roll bar, seats, harnesses, fire extinguisher, lightweight wheels, tires, steering wheel, and misc track goodies. We'll just say $5K. (bar = $1K, harness, steering, misc = $1K, tires $1K, wheels $2K).

Total: ~$57K. Or $22K in mods - and that's on the cheap for mods.

Comparison:
1999-2003 MK1 GT3 in the UK: ~$40K.
2004-2005 MK2 GT3 in the UK: ~$45K.
2004 MK2 GT3 RS - $64K
2007 GT3 - $65K

You might end up cheaper doing your own build, you might not. But, IMO, you are better starting off with the GT3 platform rather than the C2.

But, what do I know. I use the internet to get information, and it could be all wrong

-td

Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
FYI book/wholesale on a 99 996 is now roughly $12-15k, if you can even find a lot that will buy it.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:36 PM
SealGrey986 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
You might end up cheaper doing your own build, you might not. But, IMO, you are better starting off with the GT3 platform rather than the C2.

But, what do I know. I use the internet to get information, and it could be all wrong

-td
Of course it`s better (and in some cases also cheaper) to just buy the GT3 than upgrade basic Carrera. But what was my original point is that how close to GT3 can modified Carrera really become? I`m talking about technical level not how much tuning your car would cost. After all what is the point spending money on Porsches anyway when you can buy a motorbike for pocket money and be almost as fast?

This is my case: I`ve 3.4 Carrera with LSD, GT3 aerokit, GT2 brakes, KW V3 coilovers, GT3 control arms, GT3 clubsport seats, rollbar increasing body stiffnes, schroth belts, some weight savings (no rear seats, no rear sound proofing, sunroof delete... After carbon roof is finished and light weight battery installed will be about 50kg lighter than was before diet)

Selling Carrera and buying a GT3 would most likely cost me about 20euros/28kusd. When almost everything else is already done (by me or previous owner) supercharger is about 10ke installed and maybe 2-4ke more to suspension (uniballs, handling arms, stiffer springs for coilovers...) So spending 10-15ke I think my car with 420hp would maybe be as fast as GT3 mk1 with 360hp but that is just my guess. I know resale value wont be as good but I`m keeping this car atleast 2-3 years and really enjoying tuning it!

I`m not trying to make a GT3 copy, just to make my Carrera as fast as possible. Thats why I`ve large Carrera decals Pic: from the Nurburgring Nordschleife:

Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Dervish is infamous around these parts
SealGrey, I see your point. I think the main problem with this is the engine. At the end of the day you're still going to have a carrera engine, ok it will be supercharged but it's not the GT1 based dry sump GT3 engine. Even with the X-51 oil pan and baffles I'd still be concerned by oil surge, but then that's just me.
Performance and lap times you're going to be just as quick no doubt but then you're at the upper limits of a tuned carrera, where as the GT3 then has plenty of scope. Just visit Manthey racing near the Nordschleife to see what's possible.

Great pic by the way, coming into Karrosel? I've hopefully got at least 2 trips this year, can't wait...

Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SealGrey986
Selling Carrera and buying a GT3 would most likely cost me about 20euros/28kusd. When almost everything else is already done (by me or previous owner) supercharger is about 10ke installed and maybe 2-4ke more to suspension (uniballs, handling arms, stiffer springs for coilovers...) So spending 10-15ke I think my car with 420hp would maybe be as fast as GT3 mk1 with 360hp but that is just my guess. I know resale value wont be as good but I`m keeping this car atleast 2-3 years and really enjoying tuning it!
The highlighted portion is the point we all seem to understand, but try to rationalize. In fact, the cost differential you pointed out further emphasizes the point, since getting into a GT3 with all your mods ALREADY on your car will be ~20Ke, whereas putting in a supercharger and a few more suspension bits will be ~15K.

As I stated earlier, many of us have 996s that are track tuned, but if we knew then what we know now, we'd have GT3s in our garages...

-td

Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 AM
AudiOn19s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by himself
The highlighted portion is the point we all seem to understand, but try to rationalize. In fact, the cost differential you pointed out further emphasizes the point, since getting into a GT3 with all your mods ALREADY on your car will be ~20Ke, whereas putting in a supercharger and a few more suspension bits will be ~15K.

As I stated earlier, many of us have 996s that are track tuned, but if we knew then what we know now, we'd have GT3s in our garages...

-td
Still completely agree with TD here. Had we all known...

SealGray: IN your case you're correct..you've gone far enough down the path there's really no point in looking back no. For the OP who is looking to get a base 996 and start down that road I fully agree the GT3 is a much better place to start.

Also..in all of these comparisons of suspension swaps everyone is forgetting one important thing which is the Uprights form the GT3. As it is GT3's have decent bump steer issues when lowered but our 996's are even worse. The GT3 has revised mounting positions on the uprights over the 996 to minimize this. IF any of us 996 guys were looking to upgrade the 996 GT3 RS OR 997 GT3/RS uprights are the way to go to get the best geometry out of the uprights to eliminate bump steer and properly bring down the roll center. Uprights themselves can run in the range of $1000 each new (x4)...and then you still have to upgrade the brakes as the stock 996 brakes won't mount on the new carrier.

Also. The Supercharger seems like such an easy option to get power levels at or above the GT3...but I really wish Karlooz was still active here as he did ALOT of track time with a supercharger and could never get the car to be headache free with the supercharger installed. You'll constantly have overheating and temp issues with the supercharger that would never be a worry with the GT3. The beauty of an NA engine is you can beat on it lap after lap and never worry about heat or performance issues.

Andy

Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Still completely agree with TD here. Had we all known...

SealGray: IN your case you're correct..you've gone far enough down the path there's really no point in looking back no. For the OP who is looking to get a base 996 and start down that road I fully agree the GT3 is a much better place to start.

Also..in all of these comparisons of suspension swaps everyone is forgetting one important thing which is the Uprights form the GT3. As it is GT3's have decent bump steer issues when lowered but our 996's are even worse. The GT3 has revised mounting positions on the uprights over the 996 to minimize this. IF any of us 996 guys were looking to upgrade the 996 GT3 RS OR 997 GT3/RS uprights are the way to go to get the best geometry out of the uprights to eliminate bump steer and properly bring down the roll center. Uprights themselves can run in the range of $1000 each new (x4)...and then you still have to upgrade the brakes as the stock 996 brakes won't mount on the new carrier.

Also. The Supercharger seems like such an easy option to get power levels at or above the GT3...but I really wish Karlooz was still active here as he did ALOT of track time with a supercharger and could never get the car to be headache free with the supercharger installed. You'll constantly have overheating and temp issues with the supercharger that would never be a worry with the GT3. The beauty of an NA engine is you can beat on it lap after lap and never worry about heat or performance issues.

Andy

Mr Anderson

You hit the nail right on the head...Non Aspirated is always the way to go...
Forget stupid FI

Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 AM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
ok, thanks for answers, I think i will take this time caterham

Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
CWay27 is infamous around these parts
I have done quite a lot to my 02 C2 to make it fun on the track but don't try to make it a GT3 cause it will never be. In two months of ownership I had put the GT3 suspension, sway bars with tarrett front drop links, uprights, calipers and rotors. It handles well, brakes well but it still needs a little tweeking cause right now it doesn't work as a package. Eventhough I added the X51 oil pan kit, the motor is not like the GT1 and coming from an RSA, dry sumps and wet sump are just not the same.

I don't regret any of this cause that's what I wanted to do and GT3 were out of my budget but what I do regret is selling my RSA.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:04 PM
wxseed is infamous around these parts
Himself .... do you have the part number for the X51 oil pan baffle you installed.
i want to put that mod on my car ...

Old 02-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by wxseed
Himself .... do you have the part number for the X51 oil pan baffle you installed.
i want to put that mod on my car ...
I *think* the part number is: 996.107.243.40, but here is the part itself: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code =x51pan&Category_Code=996sport
[call suncoast to confirm]

or here:http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0PARTITI%20%20

Do NOT order the replacement baffles with part number 997.107.243.00. As I understand it, these are the same plastic baffles you have now.

And I would not recommend the deep sump spacer.

-td

Old 02-14-2009, 06:01 AM
wxseed is infamous around these parts
I was hoping to just replace the baffle not the complete oil pan assembly. The suncoast p/n looks like the new pan with baffle. Do you know if you can just buy the baffle ?
From what I've read I don't think the deep pan spacer is a good idea because it moves the oil pick up away from the bottom of the pan.
I'm

Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 AM
johnnytaboo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deckman
There's a GT3 flywheel and clutch for sale now for something like $200.

Where? I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where can I find that deal?!?!?!?!??!?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Here in the for sale section. It's from an '04 though. I don't know if it would fit your car. It's probably gone but you could still inquire.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by wxseed
I was hoping to just replace the baffle not the complete oil pan assembly. The suncoast p/n looks like the new pan with baffle. Do you know if you can just buy the baffle ?
From what I've read I don't think the deep pan spacer is a good idea because it moves the oil pick up away from the bottom of the pan.
I'm

Thanks
I don't believe you can get the parts separate. You should call your dealer or Suncoast to confirm. FWIW, I tried and was not successful.

-td

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 C2 conversion to GT3?