996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Overheated tonight...wassup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Engbull is infamous around these parts
996 Overheated tonight...wassup?

I have a 1999 996 C2 with 61k miles. I have owned it since under 20k miles and maintain it meticulously. I havent driven it in a few weeks now (since the last speeding ticket) and moved it to sweep out the garage tonight. I drove it a couple miles and let it idle in my driveway while I cleaned the garage...just to recharge the battery. As I was sweeping, I look out and my car was overheating...it is about 30 degrees outside so I guess it looked worse than it was...but I ran out, cut the engine and popped the deck lid. It was bubbleing out of the overflow.

I let it cool down, added water...washed it down...and drove it about a mile and then back into the garage. I don't see anything leaking. I am not a DIY kinda guy. Is this normal if the car sits at idle for 15-20 mins? What could be wrong?

Also, I don't remember there being a spring inside the coolant resovoir cap...did this pop or is normal?

Thanks all...

Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
sorry for what happened to your car. i have no idea what could have caused it.....but as far as being normal for letting it idle for 15-20 mins, i don't think that's considered normal. it's been very cold here in seattle as well. we start our 99 996 up and let it run for a good 20 mins every few days just to keep the battery going. we've not had any overheating problems by doing so. figure, you'd let it idle that much just sitting in traffic trying to get home sometimes. maybe if it was super hot outside, maybe?

anyway...best wishes and i hope all is okay with your 996.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Engbull
I have a 1999 996 C2 with 61k miles. I have owned it since under 20k miles and maintain it meticulously. I havent driven it in a few weeks now (since the last speeding ticket) and moved it to sweep out the garage tonight. I drove it a couple miles and let it idle in my driveway while I cleaned the garage...just to recharge the battery. As I was sweeping, I look out and my car was overheating...it is about 30 degrees outside so I guess it looked worse than it was...but I ran out, cut the engine and popped the deck lid. It was bubbleing out of the overflow.

I let it cool down, added water...washed it down...and drove it about a mile and then back into the garage. I don't see anything leaking. I am not a DIY kinda guy. Is this normal if the car sits at idle for 15-20 mins? What could be wrong?

Also, I don't remember there being a spring inside the coolant resovoir cap...did this pop or is normal?

Thanks all...

No problem letting the car sit and idle. Possibly a stuck thermostat which might be a one time thing or pocket of air, bad cap or front fans not kicking on. Have you had any maintenence to the car recently? It is common to have problem with the cap. Cheap to replace.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
DFC
DFC is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear about your overheating. Did any warning lights come on? May want to check your front radiators for debris/blockage. I would suggest not to let these cars run/idle for extended periods of time, if you are worried about the battery, there are some good trickle chargers out there. The owners manual indicates that when starting the engine, "be ready to drive immediately". Also, "Do not let the engine idle to warm up." is in the manual as well.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I had the 60k check-up and an oil change recently...that is it. Very few problems with this car since I purchased it a few years ago. Thanks for the responses thus far. I am heading out of town tomorrow morning, so I won't be putting any miles on her this week...but plan to drive straight to my mechanic upon my return. If it is going to leak anywhere, I am glad it was from the resovoir, I guess. I hope it is just a bad thermostat or cap.

Is the spring inside the cap supposed to be out, I don't recall seeing it before?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
if your caps end in 00... it will need replacing.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Check on RennTech, but:
- it is not uncommon for the reservoir cap to need to be replaced, some older part numbers definitely should be replaced
- sometimes it can be a crack in the reservoir itself
- you may have debris in front of the radiators (which are actually behind what looks like the radiators in the intake ducts, but are really for your air conditioning). RennTech has a clear DIY on cleaning those...but you can also have a local mechanic do it.

Good luck. Sorry about the trouble.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:57 AM
turbomik1 is infamous around these parts
sounds like coolent is boiling cause pressure to increase in coolent system, thats why overflow bottle fills up cause extra coolent has to go somewhere, if is only doing it at idle then u may want to see if your coolent fans are kick'n in when coolent reaches boiling point?? good luck!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for everyone's help on this...it was just the old style cap. It scared the crap out of me, but she is running like a top again. Man I love it when it ends up being a simple relatively cheap fix!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 PM
turbomik1 is infamous around these parts
that's great my friend!!