996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Upgraded the stereo finally ( 2003 C4 Cab)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 AM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 911C4S
P.S. are you using the OEM speakers with the new Unit? Since the OEM runs fiber optic how did they do this? I've been looking to upgrade my system but I was told I would have to change out my AMP, Speakers, and rewire the entire system to accomodate the new system. I just want the NAVI system and ipod integration. I was quoted nearly $4K for the entire job. Any help would be appreciated. Can I get the name of the shop in Irvine. Thanks..
Yes, I'm currently using the OEM Bose speakers all six of them (2 in the dash, 2 in the doors, and 2 in the rear) for the mids and highs. I have an 03 C4 so I assume it's running fiber optic as well but the shop didn't mention any problems with the install nor did I need to buy anything special to "make" it work. There's probably some pretty hardcore audiophiles that wouldn't be satisfied with the stock set-up and therefore may feel the need to change out the OEM speakers for it to "work". I'm quite happy with the head unit (Navi/IPOD, etc.) and the sound in general, I figure if I truly wanted to enjoy "live sound" and the movie experience- I could just stay home.

The shop in Irvine is Gold Star Audio (949)752-1446, ask for Jay (stand up guy). I'm pretty much in and around OC/LA, if you want to listen to the set-up let me know. I plan on going to Cars and Coffee in Irvine 2/7 and a Panerai GTG in Beverly Hills later that morning.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
Thanks

Originally Posted by E. coli
Yes, I'm currently using the OEM Bose speakers all six of them (2 in the dash, 2 in the doors, and 2 in the rear) for the mids and highs. I have an 03 C4 so I assume it's running fiber optic as well but the shop didn't mention any problems with the install nor did I need to buy anything special to "make" it work. There's probably some pretty hardcore audiophiles that wouldn't be satisfied with the stock set-up and therefore may feel the need to change out the OEM speakers for it to "work". I'm quite happy with the head unit (Navi/IPOD, etc.) and the sound in general, I figure if I truly wanted to enjoy "live sound" and the movie experience- I could just stay home.

The shop in Irvine is Gold Star Audio (949)752-1446, ask for Jay (stand up guy). I'm pretty much in and around OC/LA, if you want to listen to the set-up let me know. I plan on going to Cars and Coffee in Irvine 2/7 and a Panerai GTG in Beverly Hills later that morning.
Thanks for the information!! I'll give him a call!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 PM
michollock is infamous around these parts
Well done!! That deck looks sick. Great install.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:08 PM
perrycarrera4 is infamous around these parts
After almost a year of ownership, I decided I really needed to upgrade the Factory Bose system. The challenge was to upgrade without sacrificing the precious cargo area under the hood and the back seats. I felt this was manageable after checking what others have done by using the search function. In addition to a more modern head unit (Navi, Bluetooth, IPod) I really wanted to add a little low end to the overall sound I was hearing ( the mids/highs at this point are acceptable). Please note unlike most of you, I'm not good with tools and putting things together and besides I work enough during the week so I left it the "dirty work" for a great shop in Irvine, CA.

So this is what I ended up it with:

1. Pioneer AVIC-F90BT ( 2.0 Software)
2. Soundstream D100II ala Early 90's
3. JL Audio 8W1
4. Double Din Glossy Black Trim ( Ebay)

As I am not mobile audiophile, I found the upgrade to be a nice improvment I really wanted a 10" but it was not going to happen ( simply too much cu. ft. need to sound good). Still I am happy with the SQ of the 8" and the overall sound- mission accomplished. It also got the WAF except when I turn it up she doesn't really appreciate the lower leg massage- !

Here are some pics, if I'm **** enough I may try and track down some matching carpet.

It looks really good. Can I get more info on the trim such as vendor and price? I tried to look for one on ebay but couldn't find one. Also, did it come with "Porsche" logo? Thanks.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 AM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
PM sent on info.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Shecky is infamous around these parts
4. Double Din Glossy Black Trim ( Ebay)

Hey e.Coli,

When you ordered the Double Din Glossy Black Trim, was the "PORSCHE" logo already embedded into the frame like you have on here? Or is it just a decal sticker that they added on seperately?

Thanks in advance!

LOVE the navi btw!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Shecky
Hey e.Coli,

When you ordered the Double Din Glossy Black Trim, was the "PORSCHE" logo already embedded into the frame like you have on here? Or is it just a decal sticker that they added on seperately?

Thanks in advance!

LOVE the navi btw!

The "Porsche" is a sticker decal that came with the Double Din Kit so you can put it on or leave it off. Hope that helps!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Shecky is infamous around these parts
The "Porsche" is a sticker decal that came with the Double Din Kit so you can put it on or leave it off. Hope that helps!
E. coli,

That's exactly what I thought. I just needed your confirmation. You have most definitely answered my question! Thanks for the quick response as well!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Updating this thread-

As mentioned in a previous post hoping that an 8" sub (from a speaker standpoint) was all I needed to add to make me happy with the sound- I was wrong. I found the Bose Mids/Tweets to be lacking in short.

I gto these in last week and hope to install them later this week:

Morel Elate 6- 2 Way

I've decided power them up with an Ol school Nakamichi amp:

I also ended up trading out the Soundstream with an ARC audio mini, damn thing has some power for it's size!

I'll let you guys know how the install goes.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 AM
RAD911 is infamous around these parts
sweet set up.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 AM
jarrod0073 is infamous around these parts
e.coli

I think you are going to love the sound quality from the morel 2-ways i just had them installed in my car a few weeks ago with a alpine digital amp. I can not make the speaker clip or break up know how loud they get. The sound in amazing

Old 07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by jarrod0073
e.coli

I think you are going to love the sound quality from the morel 2-ways i just had them installed in my car a few weeks ago with a alpine digital amp. I can not make the speaker clip or break up know how loud they get. The sound in amazing
Thanks for the preview, I look forward to hearing them this weekend!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 PM
mishka911 is infamous around these parts
i really like the look of that, and have been wanting to do that to my car for quite some time but i could never figure out what to do with the ac controls

Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by mishka911
i really like the look of that, and have been wanting to do that to my car for quite some time but i could never figure out what to do with the ac controls
Thanks! Don't let the AC Controls discourage you, if you look at pic# 4 you will see that the AC controls were relocated to the bottom ( where the cubbyhole once existed). Any decent stereo shop or a handy person could do this relocation. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by jarrod0073
e.coli

Ditto! Musically delicious = really clean and warm! When driven to " loud" levels, it didn't even hurt- no cracking or distortion! One Happy Camper here !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgraded the stereo finally ( 2003 C4 Cab)