996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Front Lip Urethane, FRP or Carbon Fiber?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:45 AM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
Front Lip Urethane, FRP or Carbon Fiber?

I'm trying to choose between going with a Carbon fiber or urethane front lip, or fibreglass, Pros, cons, durability?

Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
hey Scuba, Poly urethane is your best bet up in Edmonton, fiberglass will shatter too quick and carbon will get scuffed and scratched.... what bumper you putting this on?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I have the the turbo nose on my 996. I left the plastic lip on there, unpainted. That part of the car takes too much of a beat too put something pretty on. Honestly I think it looks much worse to put a nice part on and have it look tore up from from road debris and driveways.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:22 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
If you have unlimited funds, put on whatever you think looks best. Just be prepared to replace regularly anything other then the the pastic/rubbery lip. It's the only one that will take a licking and keep on ticking, but only to a certain point. It will need to be replaced as well, just not as often as the other alternatives.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 AM
scubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to beholdscubadawg is a splendid one to behold
I'm putting this on a 996 Turbo bumper, did some checking MaShaw is the only company that I know of that makes a Urethane lower lip which is $550.00 US plus shipping and brokerage to bring it into Canada

Rottec Carbon has a group buy
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-vendor-classifieds/159007-newset-sponsor-6-speed-rottec-carbon.html

so it's about the same to get it to me, but it's Carbon Fiber and their located in Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Did some research on how to protect the lip from minor not major scrapes.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rotection.html

I would loved to gone Urethane, but it's the shipping and brokerage fees, that make it unfeasable.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Alec4s911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sharp
hey Scuba, Poly urethane is your best bet up in Edmonton, fiberglass will shatter too quick and carbon will get scuffed and scratched.... what bumper you putting this on?
my thoughts exactly go with urethane you won't regret it

Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
from my experience i would prefer urethane>cf>fiberglass

urethane will be the most flexible and will give you the most wear and tear
carbon fiber is stronger than fiberglass but if there is clear on your carbon fiber, rock chips will be very obvious

Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
wyo996 is infamous around these parts
I have a soft urethane lip on my GT2 bumper from NR auto and it takes a beating and still looks good. I would love to put on a CF lip but I would have to park it in my house and just look at it. Will

Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 AM
thehapakid is infamous around these parts
Are there any lips for '99 C2? I tried to get the MaShaw one, but for some reason he didn't want to sell it to me. Are there any alternatives besides just getting a new bumper?