996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

turbo/4s front bumper on a c2 mkII?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
I think they sell a black plastic part that goes underneath of the bumper for the 40th ann. but is really expensive...
Just check and let us know... I did a lot of research before doing this mod and every single post here had that issue. Your body shop guys probable fixed that for you!
-joel
I will check for the straps at the attachment points. I know they did not cut the front bumper because I still have the original one removed and it is still intact. I will post my findings this evening.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Let us know...

joel

Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I took a look under the bumper and did not see any straps. Not sure what the difference is but does not seem to be an issue.

Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
seapuss is infamous around these parts
good luck with finding what you need

Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Let us know...

joel
I went back and viewed your pics. It looks like you are missing a plastic cover piece or my installer went above and beyond and added a transition. Can someone with a 03 MKII with a standard factory bumper peak underneath to see what is normal?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Well, you have the much coveted black plastic trim that comes with the 40th ann. That part is like $400
With all the OEM Turbo bumpers, the bottom attachment points are 2" shorter that the points on the car.
Of course I like your install better. Mine was a solution that "looked" better than the metal straps or tie-wraps!
Regular bumpers (non turbos) have a longer, extended bottom part to been able to connect these points.
-joel

Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Well, you have the much coveted black plastic trim that comes with the 40th ann. That part is like $400
With all the OEM Turbo bumpers, the bottom attachment points are 2" shorter that the points on the car.
Of course I like your install better. Mine was a solution that "looked" better than the metal straps or tie-wraps!
Regular bumpers (non turbos) have a longer, extended bottom part to been able to connect these points.
-joel
Mystery solved.

So the best option for someone looking to convert to a OEM Turbo bumper is to source the 40th anniversary black plastic trim. This is probably still a cost effective option when you consider the availability and cost for a take-off turbo bumper vs aftermarket. Thanks for the clarification.

Ed

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 AM
I got my original turbo bumper for $500 shipped in perfect condition and already speed yellow from a turbo owner. Even that his car was an 2003 and mine 2002, 6 years later and the paint matched the fenders and the hood. Amazing. I did the install at home with the help of the wife. It took no time at all!
Since I had a little mishap, I ordered a brand new OEM turbo bumper; painted and installed it. again.
-joel

Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM
gonz2828 is infamous around these parts
Hi Joe,
I'm just getting around doing the c4s front bumper conversion now on my 2002 c4. Bumper is all painted and ready to go but now realized that the headlight "eyes lids" from my original bumper don't seem to fit and can get the bumper hand as it seem that inner grill interfere with bumper support... any tips on what should I trim..?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:32 PM
The inside of the grills have a little tabs that you should take off. My bumper came with the black lining for under the headlights and was fitted with no problems...

Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Joel,
Happy Thanksgiving....! Thank you for the quick reply. I will follow your advice, just to clarify: You mean trim this inner grill parts...? Did you just cut them off or attemp to remove them by undoing the plastic welds...?

Now that I learned how to add pictures I post some below to help the community if this is ever to arise again. Thanks so much again, I'll report back with the outcome.

Gg

Attached Images   

Last edited by gonz2828; 11-23-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: add picture(s)
Old 11-23-2012, 05:31 PM
OK... finally hanged the bumper today with my wife help... after everything was in place I closed the hood and.... hood does not seems to match up with bumper like it used to. Should I have remove the inner foam...?

Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 PM
yes, those tabs need to be removed.... the bumper should fit a little above the hood... I can't see clearly on the picture what your problem is...

Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Thumbs up And the C4S bumper is done...

Just want to share with this community the final results of the C4S bumper conversion install on my C4. Special thanks to JoelPirela for his words of wisdom and encouragement as well as and all the wonderfull contributors of this thread.

As it turn out I was not placing the bumper inside of "the groove" that is under the hood hence the miss alignment with the hood while close (Dah totally my fault) but now all corrected. The only thin that I'm missing are the two trims under the headlights which I just found out are different between the C4 and C4S.

Anyone has two of these around that want to part with...?

Attached Images   

Last edited by gonz2828; 12-22-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: More relevant info became available