996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Fiber Optics Help 03 996 c2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 AM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Another Don
Nope, no speaker (subwoofer or otherwise) behind the back seats in my Targa.

Cheers
Don, from the pic above it looks like you have the Bose OEM 4x6 sub mounted on the passenger side footwell of the center console. You're right the 4x6 was not cutting it for the bass response I wanted to hear so I had the local shop build one big enough for an 8" sub and mount it on the existing OEM brackets- the enclosure is a little deeper but really doesn't sacrafice the passenger leg room. I'm pretty happy with it. I have an external amp powering the sub and kept the other Bose speakers with the new Pioneer Head unit. Here are some pics of it installed in my 03 C4 Cab:

Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 AM
softail is infamous around these parts
Kvhookj :

Why did you install the new alpine amp where the CD changer was ? I suppose you got rid of the old amp. So wasn't it possible to put the new amp where the old one was ? This prevents you not to extend the wires ?

E. Coli :

As you bought a new amp, why did you connect your sub only ? I mean, why didn't you connect to it all your speakers.

What kind of Pioneer head unit do you have, and where did you get the fascia trim bezel ?

Thanks a lot.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by kvhookj
I did mean the subwoofer and installation is complete. Subwoofer sounds just fine. I used a Pioneer mount kit provided by installers.com and 3 sets of RCA cables to the amp. The only wires I used from the radio harness were tha power and ground. The speaker wires were extended to reach the new amp that was mounted where the our 6 CD changer was located. Buy the mount kit and the heavy wiring kit for the amp. Comes with oversize power and ground wire with fuse.
Sorry again, but I can't find this in all installer.com stuff....

Could you please give me the ref ?

Thanks again.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 AM
kvhookj is infamous around these partskvhookj is infamous around these parts
The Alpine amp is physically larger so it fit better in the cd location. Did have to extend the wiring about 16" and connected all speaker wiring to the amp. RCA cables from head unit to amp. I ordered the installation kit for the Pioneer from www.installer.com and it came with trim. Once installed it leaves a 1/2" X 7 1/2" gap at the top so I'm having a carbon fiber piece made to fit. I have pictures but haven't figured out how to load them to this site

Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks a lot.

Here's how to upload pics

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...b3_attachments

Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
One more thing : did you use a chart to find out which wire goes to which speaker ?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 AM
kvhookj is infamous around these partskvhookj is infamous around these parts
No I used a 9 volt battery. Have someone sit in the car and tap the battery on the positive and negitive to each speaker. This will make a audible buzz sound

Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 PM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by softail
Kvhookj :

E. Coli :

As you bought a new amp, why did you connect your sub only ? I mean, why didn't you connect to it all your speakers.

What kind of Pioneer head unit do you have, and where did you get the fascia trim bezel ?

Thanks a lot.
I feel the OEM speakers have decent sound quality but little or no low end, so I left the mids/tweets alone and added the sub which obviously required an aftermarket amp. The Pioneer model is AVIC-F90BT and the fascia trim I got off Ebay from the seller CVT929 aka Euromotorspeed. I hope this helps.