996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Fiber Optics Help 03 996 c2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
kvhookj is infamous around these partskvhookj is infamous around these parts
Fiber Optics Help 03 996 c2

I just purchased a Pioneer NAV Blue Tooth Ipod etc. head unit to replace the original single din bose. Moved the AC controls down and working on the mounts. I guess I didn't do my homework but reading someother threads. I'll have to change my bose sub, amp and wiring?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kvhookj
I'll have to change my bose sub, amp and wiring?
Unfortunately true.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Another Don is infamous around these parts
Yes, you will. And when you're done it will have been so worth it.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:01 AM
So what did you use for the amp and sub?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I didn't use anything. First, I'm an older dude and the hearing just ain't what it used to be. Second, my Pcar is a Targa...not exactly an anechoic chamber. My demands for a car radio are fairly simple. Just give me a little decent (not superb, not wonderful) sound.

The Pioneer unit has 22w x 4 channels and that's plenty to drive the Bose speakers without the Bose amp. So, the short answer is that the OEM Bose amp was jerked and the speakers were then hardwired to the Pioneer head unit. A sub could have been added to this system, but I chose not to. I just didn't think the expense was justified for my style of listening. Most of my radio listening is XM radio and booming bass is not exactly their forte.

Good luck with your instal.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the response. I just bought an Alpine 75w X 5 channel amp and the mount kit for the head unit. Will work on the install this weekend and will post the results

Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 AM
softail is infamous around these parts
Hi,

Another Don : so, you got rid of your Bose amp. Bet what did you do with the cd charger ?

And the wiring ? YOu just disconnected the wires and connect them to your new head unit ? How did you find out which wire comes to which speaker ?

And what about the subwoofer ? does it still works ?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by softail
Hi,

Another Don : so, you got rid of your Bose amp. Bet what did you do with the cd charger ?

And the wiring ? YOu just disconnected the wires and connect them to your new head unit ? How did you find out which wire comes to which speaker ?

And what about the subwoofer ? does it still works ?

Thanks
Softail -

Yes, the Bose amp is now sitting in a box here in my office along with the CDR230 while I ponder what to do with them. The Wifely-Unit says, "Sell them. You'll never need them." "But maybe I'll want to put them back if/when I decide to sell/trade the car," says I. She responds, "Get real. When you sell/trade, that Pioneer unit will go with the Targa. You know that when that time comes, either the new car will already have the system you want installed, or there will be something newer, slicker, sexier that you'd rather have anyway."

I can't really answer your question about which wire goes where because I didn't do it myself. A local, upscale auto stereo store installed the unit for me. I figured it was worth the $250 they charged me for the installation so that I wouldn't have to deal with these sorts of problems. I find that as I get older, I less willing to take on such challenges. Especially since I had the job done while I was at work and probably made 4 times as much money as the installer in the time he took to do it.

"CD Charger"? Did you mean CD Changer? If that's what you were referring to...I didn't have one...and still don't. This Pioneer is a single CD/DVD player, but since it will play from MP3 files, I can get all the music that I want/need on a single disk...~125 songs on a CD and ~750 on a DVD.

Subwoofer...the only speakers in the car that resemble a subwoofer are the OEM Bose speakers in the door panels and, yes, they work just fine.

:cheers:

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 AM
Thanks again Don,

Yes I meant CD Changer. I have one. I thought it was included with the Bose system.

As well for the subwoofer. With Bose, there are of course speakers in the door panels, but also a subwoofer behind the rear seats.

Cheers.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Nope, no speaker (subwoofer or otherwise) behind the back seats in my Targa.

Cheers

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Kvhoukj :

COuld you tell me how you wired your speakers to the alpine amp ?

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I tied the dash and door speakers to the front output and rear to rear. Amp to 5th channel

Old 03-07-2009, 02:58 AM
I tied the dash and door speakers to the front output and rear to rear. Amp to 5th channel
Do you mean subwoofer (and not amp ) ?

So, your install is done ...!

I have exactly the same project than you. My pcar is a 996 MY04 with Bose (and MOST of course).

Can you please tell me if your sub works well, cause I've been told its impedance is 1 ohm (and so very less compatible with most aftermarket amp...)

And what is the mount kit you are talking about ?

Did you also buy somewhere a bezel trim ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Softail

Old 03-08-2009, 11:22 AM
dwaynemosley is infamous around these parts
I also have a Targa.

I'd like to understand a little more about this too. Did you keep and use the existing Targa subwoofer in the passenger footwell?

Did the installer attach the speaker output leads from the radio to the harness located where the old amp was removed from, or pull new wires everywhere?

Like you, my older ears ain't what they used to be, so I don't need big dollars worth of stuff to enjoy it anymore. But, I would like to feel it and hear it well, and have an iPod and satellite radio seamlessly interface. Having Nav isn't bad either.

Anything you can share about the installation is welcome here.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I did mean the subwoofer and installation is complete. Subwoofer sounds just fine. I used a Pioneer mount kit provided by installers.com and 3 sets of RCA cables to the amp. The only wires I used from the radio harness were tha power and ground. The speaker wires were extended to reach the new amp that was mounted where the our 6 CD changer was located. Buy the mount kit and the heavy wiring kit for the amp. Comes with oversize power and ground wire with fuse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fiber Optics Help 03 996 c2