996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

997 shift console upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM
mwh27 is infamous around these parts
I can't send a PM yet since I just joined -- but I'd really appreciate a copy of the 997 shifter installation instructions -- could you send it to me at mwh27@***.net? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Just sent them, check your email.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by steveespo
Did this mod on 01 C2 when I first got the car in January. Much shorter throws and more precise than the stock set up but still stiff. Changed my fluid to Redline MT 75w90 and wow much smoother shifting especially cold, almost like the shift action of my 335i. Don't know if it was just fresh fluid or if the redline is better than the factory fill but I recommend the 997 shifter and Redline to all.
Steve
redline MT 75W90 NO GOOD for 996 transmission.... we have brass in our transmission and synthetic fluid don't work... the OEM porsche stuff is the best and has a friction modifier that is required by the 6speed tranny.....

Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM
mwh27 is infamous around these parts
Success

Thanks to EB and Ric at Suncoast for sending the instructions. I am not talented at this kind of stuff but got it done in about two hours -- i.e., installed the 997 short shift into a 996.

My only real challenge was to get the shift **** off the old shifter. It was really on there, and there was no set screw. So I finessed the center console over the old shifter, **** and all, then removed the old shifter, put it on the ground and braced my feet over it and finally yanked the shifter **** free.

I very carefully used my wife's nail polish to mark the cable lengths, and unbelievably it worked 110% with no subsequent adjustments.

Overall, the 997 short shifter has a lots shorter throw and is somewhat smoother.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
I'm glad to hear it was a success, thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:20 PM
steveespo is infamous around these parts
C70 Pete
In response about the trans gear lube, the Delvac lube that is Porsche recommended specifically does not have friction modifiers that the standard Mobil 75W90 LS product does have. Porsche syncros will not slow down fast enough to synchronize the gear sets on downshifts with friction modifiers because they are too slippery. The limited slip differential in some Porsche transaxles have special preload settings to eliminate chatter because the gear oil cannot use friction modifiers. The redline I use is a GL-5 product with high shock load resistance and excellent viscosity properties. If I am wrong please lets discuss and clear it up.
Steve

Old 07-19-2009, 01:30 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
Seems there is yet another choice to be added to the mix. GT3 shifter with billet alum instead of plastic bushing.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...de=996specials

Anyone tried this mod yet?

I want to replace my B&M to get rid of the stiff cold shifting issues.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Steve Germany is infamous around these parts
I don't see how the change in material will help cold temp shifting. SS is not much of an improvement over plastic temp toleramce improvement wise.

I still think that the best shifter is the limited production Porsche short shifter ($500 retail) that I found on Ebay germany for 120 euro. This is not the short shift kit. The 997 shifter change over is the best $ for performance upgrade for the entire 996 line.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:16 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
So no one has put the GT3 shifter in their 996?

Suncoast how does the GT3 shifter compare to the 997 or the B&M SSK?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
just put in the 997 shifter on my 99 and it's nice... the throw is a lot longer then the short i had, but no more notchy feeling.... and it shifts into gear without a hitch..... Thanks SP....

Old 07-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
The GT3 is really more comparable to the stock 997 shift console: the throw is the same, the difference is the cylindrical bushings used for the left to right rotation.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 AM
mapcar1988 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all this info.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by suncoastric
The GT3 is really more comparable to the stock 997 shift console: the throw is the same, the difference is the cylindrical bushings used for the left to right rotation.
Would the GT3 shifter make more precise shifts due to the machined bushing? Would it be more "notchy" because of the machined bushing?

I am trying to figure out what I would gain by going with the GT3 vs. 997.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Basic Sponsor
The upgraded bushings are good for folks who track their cars often or are rough on the car. Our mechanics occasionally have to replace the plastic bushings, and were impressed when they saw this design.

The GT3 console and an aftermarket billet shift linkage would be the most durable configuration I could think of, not sure if you could improve that scenario.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 AM
oultons911 is infamous around these parts
this mod sounds great....I just ordred one.
can you send me the instructions please:
boultons911@hotmail.com
big thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 shift console upgrade