996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

pss9 VS kw coilover??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Receiver is infamous around these parts
Any feedback on this install? Are you happy with the result?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM
shannonevo is infamous around these parts
I have run KW's on my Evo 9 and Evo X on the track with great success. They do have a local branch in Sanger Ca if you need them to be rebuilt. The ride will depend on spring rate. That being said, my 02 996 is getting a used set of GT3 suspension which is made by Bilstein.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM
chsu74 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by canada
the higher price is a result of the currency exchange.
The Euro has been falling like a stone against the CAD and USD in the past several months. PSS10 and KWs will be more suspension than your will ever be able to push your car's limits if you never track. Save the money for other mods.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Has anyone compared the two shocks on the track? and I was wondering if there were any fitment issues?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
randy308 is infamous around these parts
great article in gtporsche magazine,issue#98 january all about kw for 996,check it out!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
guys,

thanks for the great information, the dealer i'm using I believe has carried the kw product for sometime and in talking with the guys at the shop installed many sets with many happy customers. KW Variant 3 is the exact product he suggested and it's sounding like it's going to cost 5k installed, with exact adjustability and a lifetime warranty it's the way i'm headed, I think...

I'll let you guys know which road I take and my feedback after it's all finished.

thanks again for the great info
I am very interested in hearing your opinion of these. I have been on the edge of making the same change (KW v3) to my car for about a year. I am a little gun-shy because of the time I upgraded the suspension on my Supra: it went from too soft to bone-rattling stiff (it was not adjustable). The car became no fun to drive on the street (a lot of cracks, bumps, pot-holes, etc here) due to the poor ride quality.

I have heard that the KW v3's have very good high-speed bump response - which is the biggest impact on ability to absorb road issues. I do track my car so I need control in the corners. It would be nice to hear there is a solution that works for both street and track.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM
does anyone know what the spring rate is for the KW's and PSS 10 ?

Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 PM
jmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nicejmla is just really nice
KW V2 or V3 (if it's in the budget).

Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I looked at both.....and wound up going with the JIC Cross.

I'm very happy with them.

The KW's are top notch.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
ILikeEsses has a spectacular aura aboutILikeEsses has a spectacular aura about
Spring Rates

I looked for an '02 996 C4S

KW v3 (f) Progressive (r) 630#
PSS10 (F) 255# (plus 80# Tender) (r) 515# (Plus 80# Tender)
H&R Street (F) 170-200 Progressive (R) 400# (Plus 100# Tender)
JIC Cross (F) 393# (Plus tender) (R) 620# (Plus Tender)
JRZ RS (F) 450# (R) 674#

Note: If I did not list the rate of the main or tender, it is because the factory does not want to tell.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by shannonevo
I have run KW's on my Evo 9 and Evo X on the track with great success. They do have a local branch in Sanger Ca if you need them to be rebuilt. The ride will depend on spring rate. That being said, my 02 996 is getting a used set of GT3 suspension which is made by Bilstein.
Actually, that's KW's North American warehouse and headquarters in Sanger, CA. So yes, all rebuilds are done in-house and all KW coilovers are backed by their limited lifetime warranty! That's what makes these a great investment!

Originally Posted by chsu74
The Euro has been falling like a stone against the CAD and USD in the past several months. PSS10 and KWs will be more suspension than your will ever be able to push your car's limits if you never track. Save the money for other mods.
There have also been a ton of owners complaining how there's lack of feedback on initial turn-in at road courses which can be fixed by going with a different coilover setup with a heavier spring rate in the front. I've had nothing but compliments from 996 and 997 customers with their KWs.

Originally Posted by shannonevo
does anyone know what the spring rate is for the KW's and PSS 10 ?
For KW Variant 3 Coilovers on your 996, you'll be at Front: Progressive Rear: 515 lbs / inch (996-2) 630 lbs / inch (996-4 / Turbo)

For KW Club Sport Coilovers on your 996, you'll be at Front: 400 lbs / inch Rear: 1085 lbs / inch

For Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers on your 996, you'll be at Front: Progressive Rear: 700 lbs / inch

Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Tupe is infamous around these parts
Honestly, unless you're gona spend time at the track, PSS10 will be more than sufficient. Save your dollars and use them elsewhere. That being said, I think you (or anyone else for that matter) would be satisfied with either of the two options.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM
ubiquitous is infamous around these parts
for your purposes if you were going with KW V2's would be just fine. Then again I have never had Bilsteins and most places that work on my cars stick with KWs and I trust them.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
the higher price is a result of the currency exchange.
In spite of a nearly on-par dollar. Which is *precisely* why I spend on this stuff in the US where possible (fiscal protest)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor
ModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fozzybear
In spite of a nearly on-par dollar. Which is *precisely* why I spend on this stuff in the US where possible (fiscal protest)

I haven't really seen the prices change on KW products within the last 6 months at least here in the United States. We do sell a lot of KW, H&R, and Bilstein coilovers to Canada though so I'm sure the market prices are a bit different.