996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PSS9 v HR v KW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:06 PM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
PSS9 v HR v KW

I have a 2000 C2 996 w/ Tiptronic and 110k miles, it is my daily driver. I will need to replace the shocks soon and am interested in the Bilsteins, H&R, and KW coilovers. I don't track the car and just need decent ride without beating me to death. Last year I replaced a set of Eibach lowering springs with M030's so I wouldn't have bottoming issues and super rough ride over rough streets. I have seen that the Bilstein HD shocks would run about 800 while a set of PSS9s would be about 1800. Are they worth the difference considering my need for a decent ride with sporting nature but not beating me to death? Do the PSS9s or H&Rs come with everything you need? Looks like pictures show you need to reuse your top mount, true?

thanks

Remember sporting but not brutal ride. I live in a somewhat rural area with a lot of big rigs and trucks tearng up the road. I don't need to replace my kidneys soon!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
i would go with PSS10s and yes it comes with everything you need

Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
if you are you wanting to track the car at all stick with the PSS9/10. the KW's are better if you were to track it

Old 03-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik is infamous around these partsKrafTechnik is infamous around these parts
You certainly can't go wrong with those choices but if it's for a street car, I would do the PSS10s. If you are going for a track oriented setup, the KWs get my vote. Both are solid choices but it really depends on what you are looking for in a suspension system.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM
BigDaddy is infamous around these partsBigDaddy is infamous around these parts
Hi

take the H&R. Its more then enough for your needs.
The H&r is a really good compromise between a street setup and a track setup.
And its the cheapest of those three !!

Greetings from Hamburg-city

Z

Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Bilstein for the street.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
I have the PSS10's on my car and love them. My friend who owns a 997s drove with me yesterday and could not believe how much better the car rode. He thought it felt and handled better than his 997s with the sport selectors. I probably cost him some money yesterday.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 AM
TexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really niceTexasChuck is just really nice
Erubin, does the comparison to the 997 mean that he thought it handled like it was on rails or that it absorbed small bumps well (read comfortable) and still cornered well. Did the PSS10s come with everything ready to install (that is don't need to remove anything from the stock pieces and put on the PSS10s)?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM
erubin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TexasChuck
Erubin, does the comparison to the 997 mean that he thought it handled like it was on rails or that it absorbed small bumps well (read comfortable) and still cornered well. Did the PSS10s come with everything ready to install (that is don't need to remove anything from the stock pieces and put on the PSS10s)?
In my opinion the overall ride is far superior and I have not experienced any downsides. It corners flatter and rails tight turns. It is overall firmer but some how more comfortable. It handles dips without bottoming and mid turn bumps do not upset the car nearly as much. No more floaty front end feel. It is overall just much better damped and in my opinion what Porsche should deliver from the factory. My friend thought it was amazing how much smoother and dialed in the car felt. As a side note, I bought the car from him so he knows it well. He is a board member and I will see if he will post a rely as well. How about it Neil?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Former Vendor
RSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond reputeRSSmike has a reputation beyond repute
Don't do it twice...

All of the above offer more than the factory (M030) in terms of performance, ride quality, ride height adjustment and damping control. That said, Bilstein’s & H&R’s are good street suspensions and game for the for the occasional track day outing. Many of our new customers have gone the M030 route for various reasons. They usually complain of lower back pain and request that we remove the suspension and replace it with Bilsteins or KW’s.

In contrast the KW Variant 3’s are also great for the street, however, they offer increased spring rate and the control of a 2-Way Damper with independent Compression and Rebound Adjustment. These features allow the KW V3’s to out perform the others on the track and match them on the street in terms of comfort and ride quality.

The price range of the products is directly reflected by their features and capabilities. In this case, you do in fact get what you pay for, so choose carefully to avoid doing it twice.

RSSmike

Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks Erubin and Mike. I replaced my lowered Eibach springs (stock shocks) that the previous owner had put on because it was too low and just pounding me on rough roads. I rarely will ever track the car, daily driver so I've got to be careful. Still looking for the answer as to whether the Bilstein PSS9 or 10s come with everything you need to bolt them up. The pictures I have seen indicated I would have to remove the top hat from the stock suspension. I ask this because I know some of the rubber in the rear top hat is going so that would be an additional cost. So my estimate now is ~$800 for Bilstein HDs (currently have M030 springs) or PSS9s ~$1700 + stock pieces or ~$2400 for PSS10s + stock pieces.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 AM
spmorgan is a jewel in the roughspmorgan is a jewel in the roughspmorgan is a jewel in the rough
Whats the difference between the PSS9's and the PSS10's (besides $700!).

Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RSSmike
In contrast the KW Variant 3’s are also great for the street, however, they offer increased spring rate and the control of a 2-Way Damper with independent Compression and Rebound Adjustment. These features allow the KW V3’s to out perform the others on the track and match them on the street in terms of comfort and ride quality.
Mike,

Two quick questions:
What is the warranty on KW? Is there a US site to have them revalved if needed?

Thanks,

-td

Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik is infamous around these partsKrafTechnik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by spmorgan
Whats the difference between the PSS9's and the PSS10's (besides $700!).
The main difference between the two is that the PSS10s are the updated PSS9 with 10 levels of adjustment rather than 9 for the old system.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 PM
perryinva is infamous around these parts
Neither PSS9 or PSS10 are complete. You need to reuse or purchase new, the upper strut mounts, the front bearings and convex washers. Front also needs the rubber spacer and metal reinforcement. Don't make the mistake that a lot of installers do and assume the rubber spacer will act like a bearing. It doesn't. If you source all new parts from Sunset, including stiffer, beefier, X74 upper strut mounts for the front, (rears are the same as stock), the parts will run you about $400. Add a Porsche engine shield for $80, as the lowered engine is more vulnerable. Let me know if you want the part numbers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSS9 v HR v KW