996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Older 996 vs Newer 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
KwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of light
Older 996 vs Newer 996

Hi everyone,

been a lurker here for a while, i have a few questions. What are the main differences between say a 1999-2001 carrera and a 2002+ one? (996), are there any improvements in safety for say? or looks (any facelifts?) and what packages are there to look out for? i know there's the aero package but anything else? anything to look out for when purchasing a used 996? How's the safety on these cars compared to bmw or mercedes? any advice is appreciated

thanks everyone, hope to be joining you guys soon in a 996

jon

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-09-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: user does not have approval to sell
Old 03-09-2009, 07:53 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
You're talking about the difference between a MkI and MKII 996 and there are a lot differences. Here's the ones that come to mind (I own a 99). I'm sure others will chime in:

1. 3.6l engine vs. 3.4l and whole host of benefits that come along with that
2. Evolved exterior, the headlights being the most significant difference, but the whole front end is slightly different
3. Evolved interior, the inclusion of a glovebox being the most recognizable feature

IMHO, given the market today,I would opt for an 02 or newer. Or if you go with a MkI, find with a factory remanned motor.

Good luck!

Greg

Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
KwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of lightKwlAznKid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gsieck
You're talking about the difference between a MkI and MKII 996 and there are a lot differences. Here's the ones that come to mind (I own a 99). I'm sure others will chime in:

1. 3.6l engine vs. 3.4l and whole host of benefits that come along with that
2. Evolved exterior, the headlights being the most significant difference, but the whole front end is slightly different
3. Evolved interior, the inclusion of a glovebox being the most recognizable feature

IMHO, given the market today,I would opt for an 02 or newer. Or if you go with a MkI, find with a factory remanned motor.

Good luck!

Greg
thanks greg! ah i knew there were some differences while i was doing my searching, just couldn't pinpoint out exactly what looked different, so now that i looked closely at the headlights it look like the mk1 is more "hazy" and busy looking i guess, and the mk2 looks cleaner and sleeker? can't tell any difference in the bumper though to be honest. yea i was always wondering where the govebox was on the older ones but guess they don't have one? haha
thanks again man, really helpful, do you know if the mk1 and mk2 headlights are interchangable?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 PM
gsieck is infamous around these parts
The headlights are not interchangeable. You need to change out the fenders and bumper as well--not really worth it IMHO, but some guys do the conversion.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Doc_Porsche is infamous around these partsDoc_Porsche is infamous around these parts
go for the newer one.....

Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
the 99 is lighter and is the only year that a REAL lsd was offered by Porsche

Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 AM
usdmej is a jewel in the roughusdmej is a jewel in the roughusdmej is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by silver_6r
is that why my my99 sounds so whiny?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:32 AM
SpoolMasta is infamous around these parts
im no expert but i have been looking at 911s for a while now, and ive been told by a few techs to stay away from the MK1 = 99 model because of the motor having constant problems.

good luck

Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Excellence magazine does a nice job comparing the two and like them I always recommend the newest and cleanest you can afford.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Teuton is infamous around these parts
MK II's also have some structural reinforcements that account for the some of the weight increase. There structures are a bit stiffer IIRC.

In regards to the 99 comments, don't let the hype get to you, a 99 that had a bad motor is likely to have popped already and have a reman motor. The ones that have survived are likely to be fine. If you choose a 99, check to see if it has a fresh motor, if it does, great. If not, make sure it has all records and passes a PPI (should have all records and pass PPI for any car you consider). Keep in mind, that the issuess that affected the M92 family of motors seems to transcend its years and are not limited to the MK I's.

Another benefit to the 99, aside from the aforementioned LSD (was optional on MY99 and 04 so it will have a option code 220 on the option sticker) and weight savings is the cable throttle. All other 996s are E-Gas which has a delayed effect and less crisp response as compared to the cable throttle. Depending on what you are looking for the 99 can be the best version of the 996 (with exception to the GT3) for tracking or autocross. PSM on the newer cars are a bit of a nuisance as they don't stay truly deactivated. You can't left foot brake on an E-Gas car as they kill throttle when you apply brakes. These factors make the 99 more engaging and fun to drive.

But then again, I'm biased and those are the reasons I specifically bought a 99.

Last edited by Teuton; 03-10-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silver_6r
I have LSD on my 2004 - is it different than the one on the 99? Thanks.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
I have a later 1999, so far no engine failure (60K), no leaks from the RMS, so far so good. I like it, and barring any huge blow up would buy one again in minute. I had trouble finding the color combo I wanted and options and when I did it was a 1999.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
apnestora is infamous around these parts
There are alot of changes- almost a different car. Suspension pickup points were moved and strengthened. Went to 3.6 vs. 3.4 motor. Stronger Gearbox. Added glove box and cup holders. Upgraded interior material quality, changed nose and tail to NOT look like a boxter. Turbo headlights std now. New classic 5 spoke wheels. Check the June and Oct 2002 EXCELLENCE mag back issues, expecially 10/02 for every possible detail and change you would want to know. Good Luck and do NOT buy anything before 2002. Fellow Member- Tony Nestora apnestora@yahoo.com

Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
silver_6r is infamous around these parts
wow... i didnt know my 99 was such a POS.... thanks guys...

as far as a stronger GB, that is incorrect as the "issues" that these boxes had were not corrected until 2005, which is a 997. even then, there is stories of synchros an such going.

my car has 108k km's on it, and i have a new GB as of this year...everything else is cool.. (knock on wood, cross my fingers, etc) she doesnt burn oil, doesnt consume coolant, goes like stink too!! has one AUTOx win under her belt too!

so in the end, get whatever you like... any one of our engines can detonate at any time, our GB synchros can act up .... and frankly VERY FEW DRIVERS will ever be able to extract the advantage that a 2002+ car has over a pre 2002 car

Rod

Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
It's funny when the forum "experts" raise up and tell me my car is crap. I drive it, enjoy it and laugh at all the hoopla about the 1999 cars. You want information about a 99, ask an owner. The rest is a fluff.

Last edited by Steve's 996; 03-10-2009 at 10:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Older 996 vs Newer 996