996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New White Gauge Faces

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 12:09 AM
gfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to all
New White Gauge Faces

I just obtained a set of white gauge faces off of Ebay. They are made as replacement faces for my stock black faces on my 99 996.
I am not sure if I can just overlay my existing faces or if I should remove the black ones and replace with the white faces.
Any suggestions?
Cannot find the name of any manufacturer on them.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:19 AM
harvs is infamous around these parts
you need to peel off the black ones carefully, then stick on the white ones.

Hopefully you got a good set. Hold yours up in the light and look through it from the bottom. Some of the numbers should be darker than the others. Porsche knew that the backlight would be uneven, so based on the position of the lights and numbers, they purposely made parts of theOEM gauge darker than others. I got a set where all the numbers are equally translucent : ( so when they're installed, at night, the numbers are all uneven. Anyways, best of luck.

Old 10-02-2004, 03:07 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I was about to buy alum ones from Branywine Porsche. Please post how hard or easy it was. Did you get them from a dealer and are they OEM?

Old 10-02-2004, 05:18 AM
gfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to all
I will be changing out my steering wheel with a leather 3 spoke at the same time I do the gauges - in about a week.
Will let you know how it goes. I am not sure of the maker of these faces since I got them off of Ebay used.
Thanks,
Gregg

Old 10-02-2004, 11:33 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
White gauges are hot, wait until you see them lit up at night.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:03 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by gfroman
I will be changing out my steering wheel with a leather 3 spoke at the same time I do the gauges - in about a week.
Will let you know how it goes. I am not sure of the maker of these faces since I got them off of Ebay used.
Thanks,
Gregg
Good luck , please let me know how it turns out.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
Be VERY carefull removing the needles. You can pop the gears apart in the little motor it attaches to. If you do make this mistake the needle will fall limp. Then you will need to open the little motor to remount the gear. It is a PITA (ask me how I know)

Old 10-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by JASCLASS
White gauges are hot, wait until you see them lit up at night.
Justin,
You say the white looks great at night. Have you ever seen the silver and if so how do they look? I was thinking of switching from black to silver.
Thanks

Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by neil.schneider
Justin,
You say the white looks great at night. Have you ever seen the silver and if so how do they look? I was thinking of switching from black to silver.
Thanks
I haven't seen white, but I've had silver and found them to be pretty illegible at night. However, the whole speedo is anyway so I always found myself using the digital speedo.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ESK
I haven't seen white, but I've had silver and found them to be pretty illegible at night. However, the whole speedo is anyway so I always found myself using the digital speedo.
This is true. Maybe switching is a waste of money.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:15 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by neil.schneider
Justin,
Thanks
Silver ones on the GT2 and white ones on the GT3, both look great at night with the glow of the red needles.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:50 AM
mziegler38 is infamous around these parts
Gregg,
If you are interested, I replaced my 2003 leather wheel and standard air bag a few months ago with a leather and aluminum one. They are for sale.
email me: mziegler@optonline.net

Old 10-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the offer, Mike. I just got one off Ebay about a week ago so I am set. I bet that aluminum wheel looks great - wish I could afford that one!

Old 10-06-2004, 06:50 PM
mziegler38 is infamous around these parts
Gregg,
Would you please let me know what the market price of a wheel and air bag would be.
You can email me if you wish:

mziegler@optonline.net

Thanks,
Mike