996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Another DIY Thread... Painted Center Console To Match Exterior

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM
UncleXSO has a spectacular aura aboutUncleXSO has a spectacular aura about
I just finished sanding a center console and I am ready to start the painting process. Should there be cure time for the adhesion promoter and primer or can you simply just keep applying layers of paint and clearcoat, right after, all at the same time at 15-20 minute intervals? Assuming I don't get any dirt or debris in the paint at any point.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM
psperl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by UncleXSO
I just finished sanding a center console and I am ready to start the painting process. Should there be cure time for the adhesion promoter and primer or can you simply just keep applying layers of paint and clearcoat, right after, all at the same time at 15-20 minute intervals? Assuming I don't get any dirt or debris in the paint at any point.
I sanded with 120, then 220, then 400. There were some serious scratches, so I needed a lot of coats.

I painted it yesterday. Three light wet coats of adhesion promoter, maybe 12 coats of metallic paint (4 wet then 8 dusting coats), then 4 coats of clear. If the paint wasn't metallic I don't think so many coats would have been needed.

I waited about 30 minutes between each different type of paint (primer, base, clear), but only 10 minutes between each coat.

It is the best paint job I've ever performed in my life. I can't wait until next weekend to wetsand, rub/polish, and install.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 AM
e90steve is infamous around these parts
In your sanding experience, did you sand sand sand until it was down to absolute bare plastic? I've currently pulled the pieces and spent a good 3 hours sanding with 220 last night. Right now they are all very scuffed and almost gray looking compared to the original black. I plan on doing another few hours tonight again with 220 and then hitting it up with some 400/600. Do you all think that will be sufficient? I also have the adhesion promoter to apply first.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by e90steve
In your sanding experience, did you sand sand sand until it was down to absolute bare plastic? I've currently pulled the pieces and spent a good 3 hours sanding with 220 last night. Right now they are all very scuffed and almost gray looking compared to the original black. I plan on doing another few hours tonight again with 220 and then hitting it up with some 400/600. Do you all think that will be sufficient? I also have the adhesion promoter to apply first.
I sanded all the visible areas down to the bare plastic. There were a few curvy spots with some paint left, but they were relatively small. The areas under the panels I just scuffed with 220 and didn't worry about getting all the paint off. I spent at about 5 hours sanding but I am not good at it.

I did not notice any difference between the areas where I sprayed over the paint and areas that were bare plastic. The adhesion promoter did not behave poorly on top of the old paint. My console was not black though, it was a textured grey, I'm not sure if the paint is different.

I think you'll be ok. Since I used 120, I had to put a lot of coats of the adhesion promoter on. If 220 is the coarsest you used, you should need fewer coats. The paint and gloss barely cover any scratches, so the adhesion promoter does most of the cover work.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM
takiled is infamous around these parts
How long was the console out of the car before you put it back in finished. Also, any issue with scratching the console when trying to install. My 2001 996 is Lapis blue with grey interior and a Lapis console would look great. Another issue I have is the leather component of the emergency brake handle is scuffed slightly. Any thoughts on keeping it grey and what to do to revitalize it

Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by takiled
How long was the console out of the car before you put it back in finished. Also, any issue with scratching the console when trying to install. My 2001 996 is Lapis blue with grey interior and a Lapis console would look great. Another issue I have is the leather component of the emergency brake handle is scuffed slightly. Any thoughts on keeping it grey and what to do to revitalize it
My console was out of the car for a long time because I only get to work on the car on the weekends. After it was painted/clearcoated, I waited a week for it to cure and then wetsanded/rubbed/polished it and put it in the car right away. They say to wait a month before waxing it, although I'm not sure why.

The clearcoat seemed very durable, and did not scratch during install despite some clumsy handling. I wouldn't bend it too much though, the paint could crack.

I'm not good with leather refinishing, so I can't help you there.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:24 PM
takiled is infamous around these parts
Center console

I have seen a thread which shows step by step how to remove console in order to put in short shifter by the seller. I have a Tiptronic. Any idea how that pops out. Probably easiest is to call P dealer
Thanks for the prompt response. Oh What did you do with all the dangling switches while u drove it

Last edited by takiled; 11-21-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added comments