996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Amp Question is this possible??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Amp Question is this possible??

Ok so i have put in a nice pioneer head unit and changed out 4 of the 6 speakers. Will be doing the door speakers soon. I really have to crank it to get it a little bit loud. My questions is can i buy lets say a 6 channel amp and use the wires going to the stock amp....the power/ground/speaker wires?? Do you think this is possible or are the wires to small to do it?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 PM
rsalicrup is infamous around these parts
You can do it but it would be better if you use at least 8 gauge cable.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
I was thinking about just running all new speaker wires and get a amp hook up kit

Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Yes it is possible, although depending on the speakers used and other factors you may need to run some new wires. I used the stock head unit and bought an adaptor/harness to use the low gain output on the head unit which connected to two new sets of RCA audio cables that ran to the amp. This allowed me to use the fader and balance controls on the head unit. The standard wires could be used but they would not be as high a quality as the new RCA's. You would have to splice into them to use the output from your head unit (which may be RCA). For the speakers themselves I spliced in at the old/stock amp location. Actually for the front/dash speakers I ran new wires as I used Focal 100KP's which are component speakers with crossovers so I needed two sets of wires to each location, one for the tweeters and one for the mids.
The stock speaker use one set of wires to each location and soldered in resitors for the tweeters (as do the rear speakers). For the rears I used coaxial speakers at fist so I got away with the stock wires, agian spliced at the old amp location. The stock doors are subs. I used a JL audio amp with 6 channels, which splits off the sub frequency internally, so I used the stock wiring.

There is an argument that the stock wiring is pretty light guage, and certainly the new wires I ran to the dash location were a much larger guage. but the system sounds great.

A wiring diagram with the colors of the speaker leads at the amp is helpful. For some reason I am having trouble cutting and pasting from my manuals, but I can try to send you one.

The biggest gain is upgrading the speaker, the stock ones are lousy and any head unit or amp won't sound good through them. I did the pseaker first, then the amp, still using the stock head unit, and the system sound great.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Rthomson is infamous around these partsRthomson is infamous around these parts
I'm interested in the model of the amp you bought. I have a 01 C2 Cab that I have replaced the front and rear speakers with Infinity Kappa's coaxel's and put new subs in the doors but am still lacking the power i'd like.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The amp i am using is a JL Audio E6450, but they are not made anymore. It is(was) a great amp. I am sure that JL Audio makes an equivalent amp now. Ther are other good manufacturers. Look at their website or do a search on ebay for JL Audio amps. Therre are lots of the 6 channel amps listed, I think the newer one is the A6450.