996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

best bracke paint for factory like yellow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
michollock is infamous around these parts
best bracke paint for factory like yellow?

I put a few coats of the duplicolor yellow brush on caliper paint over my standard calipers. They yellow looks a little darker then the factory pccb color. Does anyone know if the G2 yellow if more acurate or if there is another product that might look a litter lighter?

Thank you,
Michael

Old 03-26-2009, 04:11 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Duplicolor Engine enamel in ceramic. Color is Daytona Yellow. That's what you need.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
+1. on the duplicolor yellow.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
Is there a higher temperature rated paint or is 500F good enough?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
500F is more than enough for everyday drive. I can't comment about track use/abuse

Last edited by JoelPirela; 03-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Joel did you spray or was that with a brush? They look amazing! Well done. So far with the few coats I have brushed on mine look terrible. I am going to have to sand down and try again.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
That's Ceramic primer (2 coats) yellow ceramic (4 coats) porsche sticker and then, 2 coats of ceramic clear. All duplicolor Engine enamel and all of them in spray. One afternoon, 6 beers.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:50 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
That's Ceramic primer (2 coats) yellow ceramic (4 coats) porsche sticker and then, 2 coats of ceramic clear. All duplicolor Engine enamel and all of them in spray. One afternoon, 6 beers.
yep, one the best DIYs for brakes is that......^

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
got the proshe decals from here:

http://www.xenonmods.com/newallcaliperdecals.htm

Old 03-26-2009, 07:30 PM
That helps a ton. Couple of follow up questions. How long did you wait between coats of primer, color, and clear? Did you sand the primer before you spayed the color?

Since I already have yellow oil based brush on paint on my calipers.... Do you think that if I sand the yellow smooth that I could just start by spaying the color or do you think I would still need to primer?

Did you do this on the car and mask like crazy?

Thank you for all the help! I look forward to getting my brakes looking better.

Michael

Old 03-27-2009, 01:48 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Those are the best painted calipers I have seen!! I have to know your procedure. Additionally, if I decide to take the caliper off the car, what parts should not be painted? Thanks

Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the kind words...

Ceramic paint is tricky. You either do it fast (between coats or have to wait days to completely cure)

If you are contemplating the powdercoat route, I would try this first.
products needed:
• Brake cleaner
• Some cases paint thinner
• #300 sandpaper
• Hi-temp porsche stickers from Xenonmods
• Blue masking tape
• dupli color Hi-Temp engine primer (ceramic)
• dupli color Hi-temp engine enamel (ceramic) <- this is whatever color you want
• dupli color Hi-Temp engine clear coat (ceramic)
• big plastic trash bags
• big tarp to cover the whole car

Steps:
• jack the car and remove wheel
• use the brake cleaner/thinner/#300 sand paper to clean the whole caliper surface. Make sure to remove EVERY trace of dust/grime/dirt
• Make a small hole on the end of a plastic bag and use that opening to expose the caliper and wrapping some of the disc and suspension components.
• use the rest of the bags/blue masking tape to cover everything inside the wheel well.
• use the big tarp to cover the whole car.
• apply a 2 light coats of the primer paint, followed by one wet coat. (within 15 minutes) Apply at 8" distance. Overspray is not that bad.
• when timer reads around 48 minutes from the original coat, apply the color you desire. Same 2 light coats followed by one wet coat. Wait 20 minutes and apply again the color of choice. Wait 50 minutes and VERY careful apply the stickers. As soon as you are done with the stickers, apply 2 light coats of clear and the final wet coat. Wait 45 minutes and put your wheels back. You are done. You can start driving after 6 hours to be safe.

If you already have any brush-on paint, i would try to remove it first.
Let me know if you need more!
joel

Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Thanks for the kind words...

Ceramic paint is tricky. You either do it fast (between coats or have to wait days to completely cure)

Let me know if you need more!
joel
Thanks Joel, so it seems you did not have to apply paint to the inside of the calipers. Would that area need any thing to seal the paint so dirt does not start lifting up the paint at the edges or it doesn't matter? Other than that, I can't wait to get started. I will do your procedure but I think I'll just remove the calipers entirely and paint them since I am getting ready to do a brake job in the next 4 or so weeks.

On a side note, if any one wants me to take pics of the procedure of replacing rotors, pads, and remounting the calipers and document any problems I encounter, let me know. I'd be happy to contribute to the knowledge base here. Tony

Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Tony!

Please get some pictures!!! I painted all visible areas of the calipers. even the inside but not the part covered by the pads. Since it's spray, you don't have that hard edge as on the brush-on but since you are doing a complete brake job... that's the perfect time!
joel

Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
Hi Tony!

Please get some pictures!!! I painted all visible areas of the calipers. even the inside but not the part covered by the pads. Since it's spray, you don't have that hard edge as on the brush-on but since you are doing a complete brake job... that's the perfect time!
joel
Thanks Joel. I'll get some pics and document as much as possible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best bracke paint for factory like yellow?